There is the interesting phrase “wolfing your food down” which is quite appropriate. Wolves gulp their food down in huge chunks and are able to swallow even a whole large chicken in one amazing bite. A totally “National Geographic” moment to witness. Especially when they spit it up an hour later for their pups. I think that they wolf down their food because under hunt and pack devour conditions they must eat fast or someone else might take the food. Also they often carry food back to their nursing mate or pups in their belly.
But, they have another mode of eating too. The savoring mode of dining where they consider their food, enjoy the smell, nibble off bits and chew it slowly and fully to get the most enjoyment out of dinner.
Kavi just gave me a good example of that just now. I gave him an peanut M&M candy. He loves them. This is a tiny peanut and chocolate† candy. Very small relative to Kavi who is a large dog. He takes it, examines it, smells it, chews it slowly and thoughtfully for a long time. A tiny candy and he’s not wolfing it down. With a huge chunk of meat and he would likely gulp it down whole. Why? He could have made the candy disappear in an instant. He has to work carefully not to swallow the candy quickly but to chew it as his teeth are designed for shearing, ripping and shredding, not really chewing.
He takes his time because he enjoys the candy. It’s a special treat he wants to savor – same as I would do with it. When he got done I asked him if it was good and he shook his head yes and then asked “Please, More, Eat.”
Kavi’s son Hanno is the epitome of a canine foodie. He usually savors his food and rarely wolfs it down.
Outdoors: 42°F/34°F Overcast, light morning snow
Tiny Cottage: 54°F/59°F
Daily Spark: Hubert’s hat is a Hub cap.
†Not to worry, our dogs are not allergic to chocolate or peanuts. A vet I spoke with said that the whole chocolate being deadly for dogs myth is way overblown. He said the issue is that chocolate is a little bit toxic to everyone, you and I include, and the problem some small dogs have is that they are very low body mass and they eat a whole lot of chocolate in one sitting, perhaps three pounds at a time. If you ate a proportionally large amount of chocolate all at once you too would have troubles. He also pointed out it is not an allergy issue at all but rather a very mild toxin issue, somewhat similar to caffeine. I’m not saying feed your dog chocolate. No, you should mail it to me instead, especially if it is really good chocolate. :)