Pigs & Ducks in Pond

Pigs and Ducks in Pig Pond

The pigs love to cool off by swimming in the pig pond during the hot days of summer. They pee in the swimming pool so I would not suggest swimming their myself. Apparently they can’t read the signs. The pee provides fertilizer for duck weed and algae which in turn feeds the tadpoles and ducks. The ducks stir up the pond with all their activity as well as eating mosquitoes. The ducks also lay eggs which piglets thrive on. Round and round we go. It works and is cheaper than an aerator pump which would require electricity, wear out and break down. Simple sustainable solutions.

Outdoors: 77°F/63°F Sunny

Daily Spark: There are privelages to rank said the skunk.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Pigs & Ducks in Pond

1. Michelle says:

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that pigs could swim.

• Aye, they can. They don’t have very good paddles since their feet are so tiny but they float well. See here for more swimming pig pictures. Sometimes they’re actually swimming, sometimes they’re bouncing their feet off the bottom, sometimes they’re just wallowing. All depends on the day and the depth.

2. huck says:

Hi Walter,

I love how your animals have a very symbiotic relationship. A couple of questions though;
    How large is the pig pond? With the pigs urinating in the water, does it have a strong odor (ammonia)?

Cheers,

Huck

• I’m not sure how large the pond is exactly, maybe 40′ long? Urine is a fertilizer for the plants which use it to grow. That is the green you see in the pond. It doesn’t smell, but I prefer to swim in the upper pond which is at the top of the fields. The pigs don’t swim there.

This raises the interesting observation Holly once made. Some hoity-toity woman was saying how horrible it was about something and keeping the oceans pristine was the most important thing. Holly observed that the whales pooped and peed in the oceans. It’s all part of the natural process.

3. You say Pristine and I say Piss-tine. All a matter of view. I like the view at your farm (and ours) very much. I do think the hogs could use a couple lawn chairs on the shore however

4. Susan Lea says:

That looks so inviting–thinking as a pig, I mean! They look like they are having a grand old time!

5. Philip Katatumba says:

Hi Walter just finished building a concrete pig sty for zero grazing then I happened upon your site and wished I’d never started build in the first place. How often do you fill your pond or does the water filtrate from under ground? Also if the pigs are outside all day and night doesn’t Pneumonia worry you during the rainy season? (from Uganda).

• Our pigs our outdoors year round. Our winters are very cold, our fall and spring have a rainy mud season and our summers are drier but not arid. Our pigs have never gotten pneumonia or other respiratory diseases, probably in part because their breathing fresh clean air all the time.

Pneumonia comes from breathing bad air (ammonia, dust and such) that comes from being in confined spaces with insufficient air flow and it comes from infection from other animals (bacterial or viral) which is increased by the above bad air already weakening the lungs. Confined pigs are far more likely to get pneumonia.

On your sty, perhaps you can figure out how to use that in conjunction with pasture around it so that the sty is optional housing they can choose to use or they can be outside. Do read up on managed rotational grazing. This is the technique we use with all of our livestock. It results in gradual improvement of the soil and pastures.

The pond gets a small amount of inflow from spring water and from rain. Mostly I have it bermed so that surface water does not flow into it. I do have it setup so that I can use it as a source of irrigation water if I want although I’ve yet to implement that.

6. Sorry, but that is just too cute! :)

7. Brandi says:

So the residence before us on this farm had dug out a pond but never sealed it so it currently will not hold more than about 5 inches of water. Any suggestions on how deep we should have it for the pigs to totally enjoy it?

Yours look so very happy, I’m looking forward to finishing up the fencing around the front 10 acres so we can get some more piggies and let them loose in there.

• The pigs will love the pond even with just a few inches of water in it. That’s a wallow. It lets them coat themselves with mud to protect from sun and insects and it helps them to cool off. Pig’s don’t have lots of sweat glands like humans so they use mud and panting to cool off.

The beauty is that after the pigs using the pond for a few years it will be sealed due to the action of their little pointy feet packing the dirt. Add some clay – you can buy it by the 50 lb bag – and gradually build up the seal. Then take the pigs out and let it be a natural pond, stock it with some fish, lilis, cat tails, duckweed and such. After a few years it will be clean enough to swim in and a delight.

8. Nicola says:

We had a test hole for a pond dug – around 8x8x8 feet. If we include it in the duck run for6 ducks over the summer, can we just leave it alone or should we put a recirculating pump in it to aerate it? Once the ducks are dinner can we leave the water alone?

Thanks for yor thoughts and time!

• The action of the ducks stirs up the water considerably and eliminates the need for artificial aeration or recirculation in our ponds. Keep on eye on it and if your ducks are not providing sufficient stirring then add artificial action. 8x8x8 feet is fairly small. It is going to need an inflow of fresh water to fill, be it from the water table, springs or another source as there will be evaporation at the very least.

My one concern is that being a cube as described the banks are likely to collapse and fall inward to the natural angle of repose. Be careful, especially with children around the hole.

9. Mary Sherry says:

My neighbor has a 1000 lb pig (hog) they got from the shelter when it was small and cute. Problem: I have realized that they are hoarders…of EVERYTHING, which includes animals. They have 9 dogs, approximately 30+ cats (so many she doesn’t know the exact amount), and the now 1000 lb pig. They consider themselves animals “rescuers”, but they do NOT seem to be able to financially care for all of these animals, so feeding them is a BIG problem. After another neighbor was “bitten” by the pig, I have taken to carefully observe how the pig is being cared for. After conversations with the 2 adults children who live there with the 70+ yr Mother, I have come to understand that they know NOTHING about caring for a large pig. So….my husband and I have pretty much taken the responsibility to properly care for the pig. We buy the food for it (pellets mixed with 4 way), AND feed it twice a day, plus every other day I give it a small treat of either melon, fruit (apple, bananas, peaches) mixed with oats. We want to give it a better living area where it will have shade, and be closer to the Mother (& her cats, hopefully it will make friends) where she can spend more TIME with it. Where it lives now, it is pretty much left alone…& forgotten. We were considering making a pond for it, but want to avoid mosquito larvae & yellow jacket problem. Also, we need to take into consideration that no one will keep up a constant routine care for it. So it will have to have a water pump &/or a small waterfall, and maybe a way to drain and clean. If we cement it, how thick do you think it will need to be to sustain the pigs weight? What do you suggest to use? And, any other suggestions will GREATLY be appreciated. Thank you, and look forward to hearing from you.

10. Stephen Butler says:

How can we stop our pigs swimming across our pond as the farmer next door is not happy..All the best Steve Butler.

• Electric fencing across the pond or better yet keep the pigs out of the pond entirely. I would suggest that you make them their own mud hole rather than them using the pond. If you really want them in the pond it is possible to put electric fence across a pond. The pigs don’t swim underwater but rather keep their heads above water. If you put a hot wire across the pond they’ll hit it and eventually learn not to swim near it. This is a good place to use a tight high tensile 12g wire on spring tensioners plus a poly tape wire attached to it to make it highly visible.