Mushroom in Grove


While our son Ben and I were out marking new fence line we saw a whole cluster of these mushrooms near a huge birch tree. I’m not talking merely massive but enormous, tremendous, gigantic, titan white birch tree. It was so big that at first I didn’t even recognize it as being a birch tree.

The bark down low didn’t look like birch bark. It was all knarled up and not papery at all. Maybe five feet up the tree sub-divided, perhaps it had once been separate trees. Each of the major stems was bigger than virtually any birch tree I had seen before. Two of them had toppled. When I stepped across one I realize that it was birch bark below me which is what made me look up and more closely examine the tree.

So why no photo of the birch? Because in the dense forest I just couldn’t get any that did it justice. It just looked like a wall of woods. Thus the mushroom at its base. Times like this make me wish I had the better lenses of my trusty old Canon A-1 canon. The Casio Exilim EX-V8 I have is nice and small but the lens quality leaves a lot to be desired. The result is it is hard to get sharp, clear images.

Outdoors: 69째F/45째F Mostly Sunny
Tiny Cottage: 70째F/65째F

About Walter Jeffries

Tinker, Tailor...
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Mushroom in Grove

  1. Monica says:

    Looks like an Amanita fulva.

  2. Thanks for the ID, Monica. Someday I want to learn to identify and collect wild mushrooms. It's on my to-do list. I just need a quiet winter to read the two books I have sitting on my shelf awaiting me…

  3. Jerry says:

    I'm sure the birch was impressive but that mushroom is very cool.

  4. Anonymous says:

    Walter- I have been meaning to e-mail/post and tell you that we had the courage or were stupid enough to try the winter farrowing. Mama pig, who is about 15monthes old now, farrowed successfully in August of last year and farrowed again in February. We had fashioned her a nice tent in the woods with a couple of tarps and a piece of cattle panel. She had 11 and we ended up with 8. I had to have one stiched up a bit as someone stepped on her and peeled away some skin on the haunch- I did not catch the little boy who had not quite so bad a spot and he is one of the ones that we lost. But she did great considering the cold and the snow that she farrowed in, and the fact that three of her six month old (the previous) litter were still with her. I got stuck with them because I had someone calling to buy them- she never showed up to take them and I had stopped trying to get rid of them. Those 8month old hogs will finally go tommorrow- at a loss! Best news is though, that we had the most painless weaning and seperation ever. We started feeding the young ones out side of the fence (they could scoot right under) and rounded them up behind a very battered and not real electric peice of Premier poultry netting. They were only about 8 or 10 feet away from Mama, but they had food, water and a dry place to sleep, so neither Mama nor the babies made any serious effort to get back together. We will be doing this again, and I think timing was key- we started trying to seperate at about 4 weeks and got it done before 6 weeks. They are happy and healthy on pasture and getting moved every day without issue. Thanks for the time and advice getting started, we really like the piggies and are now ready to embark on a second family. Elizabeth and John in TN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.