New Window Screens
With buggy weather coming it was time to make window screens for the cottage. When we went to the dump, a.k.a. transfer station, last time I spied two perfectly good screens and snagged them. Holly has learned not to roller her eyes at the treasures I take home. Usually they are very useful.
These screens were not quite the right fit and I stored them as I thought about how I would adjust them. No bugs yet, no rush. Then last night we got our first mosquito of the year. I killed it but realized the time was nigh. Window screens had made their way to the top of the priority list.
Our opening Marvin windows had a 1/4″ groove that the screens fit into on the outside, although I do not think it was meant for that purpose. Works well. Just one problem: The window screen frames were about 3.5″ too wide. Removing the screen, a quick nip and tuck and they fit like a charm. The resulting screen frame bends and neatly yet tightly snaps into the 1/4″ groove in the Marvin window frames such that the upper window can slide down to allow in fresh, bug free air. The frame of the window just misses the frame of the screen. Alternatively the lower sash can be raised for unscreened access and the view is preserved. A great surprise for Holly when she got home from delivering pigs to the butcher.
Patch, Patch, Patch
Being second hand screens they did have some small holes. I made patches out of the material I trimmed off when adjusting the width of the frames. A little silicone applied to the screen and they bound together tightly. Now the mosquitos can stay outside where the chorus of singing spring peepers can enjoy them more than I do!
I love being able to find it, patch it, use it, reuse it. Building our tiny cottage small kept the cost down. Building it ourselves kept the cost down. Using found materials kept the cost down. The huge windows we have would not have been affordable had we bought them new. Frugal is as frugal does. Money saved can go towards nice things in life.
First Flowers – Colts Foot
In other news, we saw the first flowers of the year. Colts foot. They look like little scaly dandelions. The skunk cabbage is also up and there’s this green fuzzy stuff trying to spread across our fields. Grass I think. The last bits of winter snow are almost gone. One patch in the top of the south field this morning. Maybe it will be gone by tomorrow.
Goose on Nest
The geese had tried valiantly to kick the big (300 lb?) gilts out of their den but finally settled on a different nesting spot under the lower garden fence post. It’s a good spot. Well protected with access to the pond and south fields. Its fun for us as we can see it easily from the driveway to check their progress.
Hope and I used some of that wonderful compost and sand to start seedlings. The containers are left over from cottage cheese. With a hole in the bottom they make excellent planters from which the seedlings easily slip when we’re ready to plant.
We’re a little late by most people’s schedules but I can’t trust no frost until mid-June. However, the last several years have been warm, thankfully warm, so maybe it is the start of a new trend. I wouldn’t mind. Neither would the pigs or chickens. Just imagine… more than 60 days of growing season… ah…
Big Red’s Piglets
Big Red‘s piglets are doing well. She had a littler of nine with eight surviving. As I write this Blackie just finished farrowing. Piglets are popping out. The weather for it is here.
Outdoors: 69°F/37°F Sunny, Very windy
Farm House: 48°F/46°F
Tiny Cottage: 69°F/57°F