Apple Time

Apples Ripening

Our apple and pear trees are heavy with fruit. It is the fall bounty. We have a lot of apple trees out in the pastures, primarily wild. Both pigs and chickens enjoy the drops.
Sponsoring Ad:

One of my long term goals is to plant thousands more apple and pear trees in double fence lines between the paddocks. The fences arranged such that they keep the larger animals off the fruit tree root zones but smaller animals can creep in to eat up the fallen fruit. As the trees grow they’ll extend outward over the paddocks dropping fruit for the larger animals too.

These reserve areas are also good places to plant forages that spread their seed into the pastures to automatically reseed the paddocks annually.

Outdoors: 74°F/63°F Sunny

Daily Spark: A lot of people that I know I’ve never met.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Apple Time

1. aminthepm says:

Second paragraph towards end should read as the trees grow not threes.

2. Integritygirl (@_integritygirl) says:

Do you make hard cider? Or do you use the apples for applesauce etc?
    Just curious…wish I had these!!

• I’ve never made cider although I love slightly hard cider. I do apple crisp, apple pie, apple jack rippers, Waldorf salad and of course, just eating them. Plant apple trees. They start producing in only five years. Plant a few a year. There’s a lot of hype about how hard they are to maintain but that is from OCD people focussed on maximum production. Apple and pear trees are easy, produce well, don’t need sprays and are beautiful as well as bountiful.

3. Integritygirl (@_integritygirl) says:

Sounds like a win win deal you have! I live in the Desert Southwest but soon will be in Far eastern Tennessee. Its about to get real different. You can bet Fruit trees will be planted before I unpack any boxes.. Though I will miss my Citrus, I’m ready for apples…Thanks!!

4. Eric Hagen says:

What do you mean by wild? Do you mean un-pruned or planted by nature?

• Wild apples as in planted by the animals from the seeds of other apple trees. This is in contrast to the apple trees I’ve planted which are graftings of producer tops and root strong bases such as Macintosh on Russian, etc. I like Macs.

5. Lynn P says:

Hello Walter,

I’ve noticed on your blog that every so often you write posts bringing to light rules and regulations that the USA government tries to put through that restricts the freedoms of USA citizens. So I thought I might bring this to your attention. Have you heard about the new rule CDC is attempting to put through?

It seems to me that it’s a violation of so many rights on so many levels. Perhaps it is, or perhaps I’m reading it wrong. What are your thoughts?

6. Lynn P says:

I am not anti-vaccine, but I am against loss of choice and a totalitarian government. I’m working my way reading through the actual proposal now, but based on the points raised in the Weston A Price article, (even if one does ignore the parts about vaccination), said points are valid issues, I would think.

The second paragraph states: “…the recently proposed, …“rule” that would allow CDC to stop, detain, quarantine AND “treat” … any American or non-American person entering the U.S. or traveling between states simply for suspicion of being infected by a communicable disease.”

I am not an American citizen. From what I’m gathering from the various articles on this proposal, it means that, if I were to travel into the USA with a cold, coughing and sneezing, said rule would give the CDC the right to detain me out of suspicion of a communicable disease for however long they like, and treat me with their chosen medications, and then completely electronically monitor me afterwards for however long they choose, and I have no rights against this, at least while I’m in the USA.

That is what is concerning to me.

• Peter says:

Given how easy it is for communicable disease to spread these days — especially given air travel, see Zika and Ebola — frankly I am NOT surprised that CDC is taking an aggressive stance on this topic.

And BTW this is nothing new — some basic research about immigration process/procedures at Ellis Island for example will show quite well how aggressive health inspection can be. And that was BEFORE CDC, FDA, NIH, vaccines, etc.

Not that we should forget our sordid history of spreading diseases (on purpose or not) to Native American populations too….