Field of Marshmallows

White Marshmallow Flower (Althaea officinalis)

You may not realize it but those little sugary confectionaries that you roast on a stick start out as flowers like this which grow in our pastures. Some are pink and some are white. The white ones, if unpicked, can grow quite large, up to 1,600 lbs although rarely over 1,000 lbs. The pigs are quite fond of them.
Sponsoring Ad:

For home consumption it is best to pick the marshmallows when they’re small and sugary in the warm season before they get so large. Once they get over 4′ in diameter the sugar content goes down dramatically and they taste more like hay. Still, they’re good for the livestock. These marshmallows make up about 80% of our pigs’s diet over the winter months.

Outdoors: 64°F/54°F Sunny

Daily Spark: In statistic they teach kids about two types of chance: marble draws vs coin flips. In marble draws the set is finite and diminishing. In coin flips the set is finite, fixed and non-diminishing. However, the math for both is the same with the calculus N approaching infinity. Unification achieved.

Tinker, Tailor…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Field of Marshmallows

1. Pam R says:

They are also favorite fodder for chipmunks, the meanest animal in the woods. A Park Ranger told my son (age 6 at the time) he would never turn his back on a chipmunk.

I’ve been growing a few marshmallow plants for a couple years, but not tried them out.

2. Marsha says:

Ah yes, you have the wild type. The cultivated type has been bred so that special plants produce uniform, cylinderic clumps that can all be harvested at once. In this form they are easier to package in small boxes.

3. Mark Payne says:

I have them growing all around my Salsa tree- they prevent the over ripe jars from breaking when they fall off the tree… Have a great day Walter!

4. David says:

Hey Walter!

Unless it is the second coming of April Fools Day I’m confused. Marshmallows were traditionally made by boiling the roots of the mallow plant and then adding sugar. Now adays I believe they use other agents (Gum Arabic if memory serves) instead of the mucilage from the mallow plant. Also 1600lb flowers seem a bit….. large.

• Yup. Sometimes humor just bubbles up and explodes outward flinging little marshmallow bits everywhere.

• David says:

Nice :) Planning on taking the cottage on another spaceflight anytime soon?

• Well, yes, now that you mention it. I hadn’t going to say anything until I tested the new marshmallow fueled booster rockets. If harvested at the right stage the smaller marshmallows are densely packed with fructose are able to be turned into a plasma jet that achieves a marked improved thrust over the hard sugar maple we’ve been using to date. My goal is to cut down the flight time to Mars and back for our annual trim home for the family reunion.

5. Nancy Hofmeister says:

You all made me laugh!

6. David Lloyd Sutton says:

Fractilarious, how those round bales replicate marshmallows. Do you have to use the forklift tines on your tractor to toast ’em?
    First look at this post, I was half asleep, and I immediately thought, “isn’t Walter a teetotaler?”

• No, I don’t toast the big ones. By the time they get that large they’re over ripe and starchy. Best eaten by the livestock. They taste just like hay at that point.

*grin* I can get drunk on life without any need for chemical stimulants. :)