Cleaning in the Mist

Steamed Up in iCutter

“It was a dark and stormy night with a fog so thick you can cut knives with it….” Literally one can’t see half way across the room due to the intense mist as I wash down after cutting meat. To clean the inside of the butcher shop, the initial cutting room, I use super hot water that comes out of the insulated red rubber hose at over 180°F. This kills bacteria on contact without having to use harsh chemicals or toxins. It also steams the room up something fierce even though I have an exhaust fan going that is sucking out an entire room full of air every two minutes.

On the same switch as the exhaust fan is our pressure pump that boosts our spring water pressure up to 70 psi to aid in cleaning. This lets me wash down the whole room, all the machine parts and the trays in about an hour. It is a nice calm routine and fun with water spray.

I also clean the floor of the office, the hall, the coolers and the bathroom with the super heated water. This makes it very easy. Imagine if your kitchen and bathroom were sealed floors to ceilings so you could just spray it all down. That’s what I’ve wanted for years. The negative is all paper and the thermometer base station must be moved out of the room prior to cleaning. Easy to do in iCutter, hall and bathroom. Office is where I keep most of the paper and it is mostly put away so a quick water wash of the floor is okay there. All the rooms have floors that slope to drains – I plumbed them in ahead of pouring the concrete floors.

Normally I wear insulated gloves, my bare hand is unusual. The insulated gloves are because the handle of the 180°F hose heats up and you don’t want to be splashing the scalding water on your hands. I also suit up but still end up quite wet. It’s my playing in the rain time, a very warm rain.

I do my cleaning work to music. My latest addition is the album “Music” from Carole King recommended by a good friend in England.

Outdoors: 79°F/61°F Sunny

Daily Spark: Be careful which tool you sharpen.

10 Responses to Cleaning in the Mist

1. aminthepm says:

As long as you don’t see a gorilla when the mist clears.

2. Larry says:

Hi Walter,

We were wondering what equipment your water goes thru, from spring to hose end.

• Spring leads to reservoir, then pressure pump, multiple filters in finer graduations and a distribution setup in PEX for cold water before going to the hot water heat exchange and then to a second distribution in PEX for hot water. There is a place for a UV filter but I’ve not yet implemented that as we’ve passed our water tests without it each time.

3. David Lloyd Sutton says:

I would think you’d be up after cutting meat . . . maybe you meant “wash”? :)

By the way, I am voting for some northern dog breed in your lovely young Pika. Straight down tail and initially droop-tipped ears remind me of a beloved wolf hybrid friend. Maybe she has a wolf in her wood pile?

4. Farmerbob1 says:

Heh. I’m surprised that you didn’t hook up the sterilizing water to a sprinkler system and a timer.

End the day, put the paperwork in a sealed container and hit the timer on the way out the door.

• That would be efficient but take away all the fun. :) In reality dishwashers and an automatic system like that don’t do all that good a job. All the equipment gets disassembled and parts get individually scrubbed and washed. Counters get scraped, etc. Lots of hands on. Some evenings I do wish it were that easy.

• David Lloyd Sutton says:

(snerk) Isn’t it materials-wasteful to scrap counters during each cleanup? I would think scraping them might be more efficient . . .
        David the delighted editor.

5. MaryP says:

My two sons finished off an old storage area as a studio apartment for me to live in, and there was very limited space available. They completely tiled what amounts to a large shower stall and installed the toilet over to one side. The shower head is a hand-held with a mount on the wall, and it works wonderfully to simply do a quick spray down of the whole area including the toilet when I take a shower. The toilet paper holder is a portable one that I set out of harm’s way while showering, and a small vanity sink unit is located just outside in what amounts to a small walk in closet/storage area. This same arrangement on a smaller scale is sometimes used in RV’s. When people need to use the facilities while visiting, they are sometimes quite taken aback.