Mishaps with Brains

Barrel by Road

This is not a Zombie Brain Accident.
Sponsoring Ad:

If you know what this mystery photo is leave a note in comments. Clue: It might be unfamiliar to people in southern climates and urban areas but is nearly essential out in northern rural areas.

If you know about a Zombie Brain Accident you can report that in comments too.

If you think pigs are smart and have big brains then see the post about Pig Brains and Tea Cups.

Otherwise see the Daily Spark.

Outdoors: 69°F/52°F Sunny, 1/2″ Rain

Daily Spark: “Nine brains were found along a street in a northern New York village, but authorities say there’s nothing to fear. … Mishaps with preserved brains are not uncommon.”
Associated Press report from GOUVERNEUR, N.Y.

Tinker, Tailor…

11 Responses to Mishaps with Brains

1. Servius says:

Being from the Northland myself but not rural, the only thing I can figure is you have salt and or sand in there for traction.

2. Biil Harshaw says:

We used to have two 55-gal drums on the farm, one for kerosene for the heaters for the baby chicks, one for the cheap gas sold for use on the farm (I believe the NY or Fed gas tax didn’t apply but I could be wrong). But that’s not the answer because our drums had a filler opening on top and a spigot on the bottom so I’ve no clue.

I am curious about the rusting pattern, and also why the stand seems in better shape than the drum?

Waiting for the answer.

3. charlie says:

It holds sand for the driveway.

4. Farmerbob1 says:

It’s clearly designed. And the wood isn’t burnt, so it’s not a barrel stove.

I’m going to guess a place to store firewood off the ground, so you can find it, and so it stays mostly dry? At first I thought maybe food too, but probably not – the bears and other animals would knock it over, unless it was sealed very well. Maybe MRE’s.

5. Sal says:

Dirt for steep, slippery driveways. Looks like it’s time to replace the barrel tho.

6. DoubleAcre says:

Doesn’t look like that barrel would hold much salt or sand any more, but that hoss (horse) is in good shape.

7. val/sue depeyster says:

looks like
    my sand barrel

8. PV says:

Oh walter you crack me upp with your ap spark! OK I know what the pictureis for. Icy roads and sand on mountains. I bet you have 4wd to.

• Unfortunately we don’t have 4-Wheel Drive on our vans. I would love to and there is a retrofit package for our vans but it costs more than we paid for both of our vans together. Pricey. Careful driving, studs and good snow tires go a long ways.

9. Zinnia says:

Walt, if you have that awesome stand, and something that vaguely resembles a top bar hive, why not give it a try?

• Time. I’ve got hives since I kept bees for about 25 years, but at the moment I don’t have the time. Incentive is low to since neighbors on either side keep bees each within about a mile.