Master Butcher Cole Ward
Our family apprenticed for 18 months with master butcher Cole Ward to learn the art of meat cutting so that we can open our own on-farm butcher shop. Cole is doing a hands-on work shop at the Weathersfield Inn in Perkinsville, Vermont this coming weekend. If you are interested in learning about cutting the whole pig, here’s your chance to learn from a master:
Swine Time Intensive: Whole Pig Butchering & Pork Cookery
Learn from master butcher Cole Ward, author of The Gourmet Butcher’s Guide to Meat, how to butcher, not just a leg, we’re talking about a whole pig…from nose to tail…at The Inn at Weathersfield’s Hidden Kitchen, the inn’s onsite cooking classroom studio.
The Inn at Weathersfield is located at 1342 VT Route 106 in Perkinsville, VT, 9 miles off I-91 at the Windsor/Mt Ascutney exit of Route 131.
- Friday Jan. 30, 5 pm – 6:30 pm – Knife Skills Class and Basic Butchery inside The Hidden Kitchen
- Saturday, Jan. 31, 10 am-noon – Cole breaks down half the pig in a well explained demonstration
- Saturday, Jan 31, noon-3 pm – Students break for lunch on their own and free time
- Saturday, Jan 31, 3 pm-6pm – Return to The Hidden Kitchen and breakdown the other half of the pig as Cole coaches you along. You’ll also cook – side pork, pork steak and pork cutlets for dinner with the chef (the restaurant will supplement your dinner with a side dish, salad, bread and dessert).
- Sunday, Feb 1, 9:30 am-12:30 pm – Sausage Making Class inside The Hidden Kitchen – Learn to flush and stuff casings with sausage. You’ll make Chorizo with Red Wine and Brandy, Basic Breakfast and Sicilian Hot Italian Sausage. Of course, you’ll dine on sausages, supplemented with a salad, bread and a light dessert from the restaurant.
￼￼This class is one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities for serious-minded cooks. With more than 45-years’ experience, Cole’s warm personality and gift for storytelling combined with his qualifications makes him a highly sought-after lecturer, teacher, and on-farm butcher – an instructor at culinary schools, colleges, agricultural and sustainable-living conferences nationwide.
To learn more about Cole Ward: TheGourmetButcher.com
$395 per person – includes 10 hours of instruction, dinner & lunch with Cole plus take home sausage. (Books will be available to purchase.)
To book or learn more, call 802-263-9217 or email: email@example.com
Or go online at weathersfieldinn.com
Outdoors: 10°F/4°F Good Buddy, Blizzardus Interupttus, 4″ Snow
Tiny Cottage: 65°F/60°F
Daily Spark: Bacon is the cure.