Greenhouse Feet and Sidewalls

Greenhouse Foundation
Click Image for Big Picture

Will and Ben have been continuing the work on the greenhouse foundation while I work on finishing details on the butcher shop.
Sponsoring Ad:

Greenhouse Feet

The header boards are locked in place along the tops of the sidewall cedar posts and almost all of the side boards are in place which provide shear resistance. Today Will got the diagonals in that create triangles at the bases of the walls and Ben anchored the first parts of the actual greenhouse hoop, the feet, to the top of the foundation header boards.

Ben working on East Wall Feet
Click Image for Big Picture

The feet bones are connected to the foundation bones are connected to the ribs bones are connected to the purloins…

Outdoors: 32°F/22°F Overcast

Daily Spark: Perhaps Time Flies not like an Arrow but like a Tomahawk, twirling in a wave of probabilities over the region of the present to create a line between the fixed past and the multitude of futures.

17 Responses to Greenhouse Feet and Sidewalls

1. eggyknap says:

What sort of building permits do you have to go through for something like this greenhouse? In the past where I live, you could put up any building you wanted without a permit, if it was exclusively for agricultural purposes, at least as long as you didn’t run power to it. But in the past few years the local county commission passed an ordinance (without reading it) that requires a permit to do anything at all on your property except a few specific things listed in a table at the end of the law, and unfortunately no one here seems to realize just what a bad thing that is.

• Building permits? We don’t need no stinking building permits… This is rural. Seriously though – I purposefully chose to live in a place where we didn’t have the absurd over regulation that I hear about all too often. Fight over regulation or soon you won’t be able to do anything, not even fight. You can get that ordinance rescinded. Work at it.

• eggyknap says:

We’re very rural, too, which is one reason it surprises me that no one cares about the silly law. But we’re fighting. We’ve kicked out one county commissioner for it, and a couple of folks on the planning commission have decided they don’t want their spots anymore. The county has dumped something north of $100,000 into the outside consultant they hired to write the thing (an Australian certified urban planner), though, and it’s proving difficult for them to consider the idea that they may have messed up that badly.

• Fight it hard. Rally people. Use the web and social media. This sort of evil, and it is evil, bureaucracy is what kills innovation and independence while saddling people with unnecessary higher costs. Shame on the government for wasting $100K on this consultant.

• Peter says:

This is where I have to partially disagree….probably because I have been watching too much “Holmes on Homes” where he is fixing stuff that unscrupulous contractors have screwed up (and he’s in Canada so it’s probably much worse in the US).

• I don’t know “Holmes on Homes” so I can’t comment on that but we don’t need zoning, permitting, regulation and code. If I do something wrong it’s my issue. Government should not be micromanaging people’s lives. A contractor issue is something totally different because it is between parties, a consumer warrantee issue, and again zoning, permitting, regulation and code are not the right solution. They just destroy creativity and increase costs without any good reason. See Tipped House.

• Ken Spence says:

I agree with Walter. Once you let them get this started, there is no end and the natural progression is to continue tightening that noose. I have lived where this was allowed to get out of hand. Where you are required to pay rediculous fees to build a dog house. But dont build the dog house and another agency of the same government will be there to charge you with animal neglect. I was told I had to tear my barn down because when I built my house – 600 feet off the public road and not even visible from the road – that put the existing structure (barn) in front of the house. The county ordinance did not permit a barn to be in front of the house.
          The inspectors employed by the county to make sure codes were being adhered to and construction was “properly” done didnt know squat and didnt really seem to care all that much about quality of construction. Their primary purpose was to make sure you had paid all the fees the county could squeeze out of you. By the time I left, a permit to build a home was running $500 to $800. Just for their permission to build a home on your property so that they could charge you rediculously high property taxes which is simply an annual license you have to buy from the government so they allow you to live in your home. Let your property go to pot and the value drops so the government charges you less to continue to live there. Make improvements and make your place look nicer, which improves the neighborhood, and your value goes up so the government has to get their share – even though they invested nothing into the improvements- so they charge you more to live there. Thats their way of encouraging people to improve their property. Anything you turn over to government is going to be poorly run, cost you more money and reduce your and my freedoms.
          Thats what governments do. And the sooner we realize it the better chance we have of preserving the little bit of freedom we have left.

• Peter says:

“Anything you turn over to government is going to be poorly run, cost you more money and reduce your and my freedoms.”

Yeah, those damn fire departments letting all the houses burn down all the time….the police letting the drunk drivers run amok and run everyone over all the time….stinking NOAA keeping all the hurricane warnings to themselves….Marine Corps letting their soldiers weigh at least 500 pounds…yada yada…

/snark

• The fire departments everywhere I’ve lived have been private.

Given the problems we’re seeing with the police, perhaps that could be done better privately too.

Weather forecasting has been done privately for centuries and continues to be done by private groups – AccuWeather, the Weather Channel, etc. Not just the analysis, which they do, but also a lot of the data collection of weather is done privately. Government is merely coordinating some of it on a larger scale.

Marine corps, yes, well that is where government is supposed to be working – to protect our borders from foreign invaders.

Guess we have come to a clear understanding here… Less government and more private action is a great idea.

No need for snark on that.

2. Jerry says:

Great progress. Amazing to see a greenhouse going up in such weather! Love the panorama pictures! They really show how things are. Man you have a big assed tractor! I have never seen one any where else like that and those are some chains!

3. traye says:

One of the very good things politically done by NC legislature is banning localities from regulating traditional agricultural building techniques. Guy who lives very rural/primitive in NC mountains had to battle with “those who know better than you” about his buildings on his land. Got the state on his side. I say hallelujah to blocking dogooder busybodies.

4. bruce king says:

Why do you have posts in the center of the greenhouse? it’s a clearspan, right?

• I bought the roughest, toughest, strongest greenhouse I could afford in this size. However, do you trust a clear span design that you have not engineered? I don’t. They are guaranteed but the guarantee is about the building and does not cover the lives of my animals or my time.

The center posts will support the middle of the span which assures me that it will not collapse down in the middle which is how I’ve often seen such structure break. We don’t actually need a clear span but will divide the space into bays and paddocks. Thus having posts in the interior is no loss but rather a gain of reliability in the system.

5. Jill Anderson says:

A big part of what facinates me about your family and keeps me coming back to your blog is that you are all such creative people. You are creators. you make things. You build stuff. You do so much of it yourselves and often invent what you do. It is the old American spirit alive and well. Yankee injunity at its best. I love seeing each new project as you improve your home butcher shop farm and things. Really cool!

6. Ken Spence says:

Well said Jill, but dont let the government find out cause they really dont like people who fo things for themselves and font tely on big brother for their daily bread.

7. Ken Spence says:

Proofread, dang it, proofread.