Wackity Wackity Wood

Splitting Circle

Ben, shown above, Will and I have been splitting winter wood. With such a small heat efficient cottage we burn very little wood per winter so the task of getting wood in for the year is pretty minor – just 0.75 cord.
Sponsoring Ad:

In the picture Ben has setup six blocks of wood and then quickly split them all, one after another, wackity-wackity-wack. Will thought of this idea, of setting up many chopping blocks, because it saves significant time from having to set the splitting maul down, position the block of wood and pick the maul up again.

This year’s wood most mostly ash, very white and very straight grained. It came out of the sugar bush on the easter slope of Sugar Mountain where we’ve been thinning. Some years we’ve had iron wood which is a lot harder to split. It is nice to be doing ash.

Ashes to ashes to the garden sweet lime.

Outdoors: 43°F/29°F Overcast, Mud Season Here

Daily Spark: A man without opinions is like Velveta cheese.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Wackity Wackity Wood

1. Edmund Brown says:

I don’t know how finely you split the rounds… but in the embedded video is a creative way to not have to pick up the maul between each stroke. I think the leverax looks gimmicky, but the tire stump holder is brilliant. I made one and used it this year. It is really sweet for splitting small pieces that dry quickly and work as kindling, etc.

link

• Interesting method of the tire, and the axe. The splitting maul we have I really like because it has wings on the sides that make it split wood far better than any axe we’ve had before. It also has a significant amount of mass which means once you get it moving fast it does a lot of the work.

• Edmund Brown says:

It is amazing the difference the shape of the “cutting” edge makes on mauls. I’ve used a bunch of different shapes and weights over the years, and this (in the link) one is by far my favorite. It is surprisingly light for how effective it is. I am tall enough to need the 27 version, but there are several shorter handles. It can be found for a better price than on the page I linked to if one hunts around a little.

• Interesting one from Fiskars. They make some great tools. The video there shows it being used for both splitting and chopping, a more general axe with narrower wings than the the splitting maul we have. I would not use ours for chopping.

• Edmund Brown says:

Funny, I didn’t watch the videos on the Fiskars website until now. I hadn’t thought to try chopping with my “splitting axe”.

Judging by the ragged look of the wedge the guy chopped in the side of that tree he wasn’t much of a lumberjack, or the shape of the head is better for splitting than it is for chopping.

• Aye. Until the apocalypse I’ll stick to my chain saw for cutting. Less waste and faster. Afterwards it will be a debate between the two-man saw and the axe, depending on the tree. :)

• Larry says:

I have a Fiskar’s 27, and I love it. Don’t know if you’ve ever watched Wranglerstar on youtube, but he did a side by side comparison of a Fiskar’s with his beloved splitting maul, and the Fiskar’s more than held its own. It’s a fair bit lighter, so you don’t wear down as quickly as with a maul. But man, hit the handle on the log, and your hands will be ringing for a good while.

• Norm Nelson says:

As an alternate to the tire, you can use a length of rope and a bungee cord… just put your rounds in a large circle, encircle them with the rope and/or bungee at the end, and hold them together whilst splitting with the rope… this method works well, and a piece of rope is lighter than a big tire and doesn’t grow mosquitos if it gets water in it…

2. David Davidson says:

Good stance ben!

I suspect one advantage of not using the tire method is that as ben splits that wood it flies off the pedestal and out of the way to make way for the next piece or even splitting the pedestal itself which looks to me to be a log itself to.

Love you you heat with so little. Were south of you but our old house takes ten cord of wood a year to keep it habitable. Thats more than tend years of wood for you. Amazing.

3. Mayra says:

Hi just wanted to ask you a question? We have a asow that this morning woke up with with her right side neck and face swallon and nume and her she couldn’t open either. Do you now what causes this because it is not the only one that has had it

• My first thought is an allergic reaction to either a plant or insect sting. Second would be an infection. If the first then it should go down in time as long as she is able to breath, drink and eat. If the second then you may need to give her medicine for it.

4. Nancy says:

Bright idea :) And seeing your tiny cottage in the background I was wondering how that little space is working now that your kids are getting big.

5. Janet Krill says:

Walter, what a great idea for saving time! I love how innovative your family is. Great chopping stance!

6. Brian says:

Can confirm– your chopping stance is top notch.