Changes Blowing In The Wind

Last time we went to Cape Code it seems every one was talking about the off shore wind power plans. For and against it. Posters plastered. Newspaper articles. Everywhere. Seems the Kennedy family and their friends were against having wind turbines because they would have to look at them way off beyond the horizon while they sailed their yachts about. Lots of noise, not from the turbines.
Sponsoring Ad:

This time it was a bit different. No noise at all. In fact the seven huge wind turbines I saw were all silent and just gently spinning in the wind. No rants. No newspaper articles. No posters. Seems that what happened is the Kennedy family and friends with all their political power stopped a great idea of putting the turbines out in the ocean so instead turbines got plant right in Boston, on the way to Cape Cod and a whole bunch on Cape Cod itself. I guess this is going to give everyone a chance to get use to these magnificent gentle giants and see just what they can do, and how quietly they do it. Incase you’re wondering, I’m pro-wind.

Sandwich Boardwalk (Click for Big Panorama)

Looking in the other direction from those beautiful windmills is one of my favorite scenes on Cape Cod, the Sandwich board walk that extends across the marsh to the dunes. It was nearly high tide when I got this photo. At low tide the salt marshes nearly empty leaving the bridge high and dry.

Some seagulls posed for me as I took this photo. They had been dropping quahogs and muscles on the tarred paving of the parking lot to break them open for dinner. Fun to watch, as a spectator.

Seagull Takeoff

I managed to catch this fellow in mid stroke as he took off along the beach.

Cormorant and Seagulls Resting

Out on the rocks at low tide.

Hope Presenting the Latest Fashion at the Boardwalk

Outdoors: 4°F/4°F Sunny

Daily Spark: Per the instructions: If you took deduction B on form 1040 schedule 91002 or if you have more than one child who is younger than you, related by marriage and lived with you for six or more months within the USA or territories then check box 9a and skip to line 13 unless you also have an amount of 3,100.11 on line 5c or took deduction P except if you are within a designated employement optimization zone in which case check box 10d with an ‘X’ on schedule 4191102 part IIa and continue on line 15. If your head has not yet exploded then sign the end of return schedule T to submit your application for proof reading IRS publications.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Changes Blowing In The Wind

1. Drey says:

Love seeing that you got some time off. I love windmills. Back in holland they’re beautiful. In other countries we see lots. It is odd how the environmentalists here in the isa are so anti sustainable energy.

2. am in the pm says:

I was in Iowa & windmills are very visible and expanding for energy needs . Reminds me of giant Mercedes Benz logos

3. Annie says:

There are wind mills towers right near us. I pass them every day. They’re quiet not at all like the opponents had claimed. I’m glad to see them and Im glad to know that the farmers who land they’re on are getting some extra income. It is a compatible use. Wind power and farming go together very well. I remember reading about the cape wind power program and am sad to hear the wealthy blocked it. It would have been a good thing and much better than cole or nuclear or oil or such stuff. Probably they have stock in those dirty techs and don’t want to lose their money.

4. Mary says:

Hope is looking so grown up! Love that photo of the seagull flying! I love your big wide photos like the wood bridge and finding the easter eggs like lili. Is her spirit haunting your photos?

5. David Davidson says:

Walter waxes wafting waves poetically? Dam — I can’t make it work. Glad to see you and the family took some time down off the mountain. So who cared for the animals?

6. Nance says:

Our cousin lives in the middle of a community of wind turbines here in Iowa and they are not silent. They hum. They are never silent so that the quiet night our family used to step out into under the summer moon and listen to the silence, is no more. I wonder are the newer ones, hum free? Not 25 miles from me, a forest of wind turbines is springing up. I will have to creep out in the dark some night soon and listen.

• Interesting question on the newer ones being quieter. These ones at the Cape were put in just a few years ago. Perhaps the noise of the older ones led to them developing better, quieter ones. These move very slowly, even in a strong wind. That may also help with bats and birds being able to easily avoid them. Additionally, this was only five in one spot and then several miles to any others – different than a forest of them I suspect.

Speaking of silent, we were on Cape Cod when 9/11 happened. It was eery. All of a sudden there were no airplanes in the sky. Everything got much quieter. Normally down on the cape there are jets, both military and civilian, light prop planes, helicopters and such in the sky. For days the skies were solid blue with no contrails, no jet engines.

7. Nance says:

Yes, Hope is growing up! I too am glad you can get away and have vacation. Let’s see. Covey’s 7 steps . . . sharpen the saw.

8. Patrick says:

California has them in spades out in the desert. They are noisy things if you get close, but there are a lot of them. It’s a heck of a sight, especially when the Santa Ana Winds are blowing.

For me the answer is easy: nuclear. But…whatever.

9. James C says:

For me, nuclear is not an appropriate option. As a species we design things with a projected life-span that is similar in scale to our own. However, the consequences of a failure of a nuclear plant can extend many generations into the future. Particularly in the US, where our history is relatively short, we don’t get a sense of the permenance of the changes we make. Go to the UK, where you can find a pub that is 1000 years old (Trip to Jerusalem, in Nottingham), or Spain, where you can find Cathedrals just as old, and still in operation. Then visit Dallas, where we tore down the Cowboys stadium after 40 years because Jerry couldn’t fit his big screen in it…

Perhaps these seem unrelated- but we do not have a perspective that lends itself to the potential damage inflicted upon us as a race, nor our environment by a failure of the safeguards at a nuclear power plant. Chernobyl, while recovering, is still in the midst of a waste land, the wild hogs there, when tested are far above any acceptable level of radioactivity for human consumption.

To sum up, we design at a human time scale, but the consequences of a nuclear disaster are on a geological time scale, and incomprehensible to most of the population.

• That is a good way of putting it. I agree with both you and Patrick. Nuclear is great, but not in the hands of most humans. We need people who think on deci-millenial timescales at the minimum. I trust myself with nuclear power but not humans and corporations who file quarterly earnings and annual dividends. Their timescales are too short. Since I don’t want the job that means I don’t want anyone doing it until I see evidence of people taking responsibility more seriously. On the other hand, when there is a spill of sunshine, we just call it a nice day.