Call to the Darkest Night

Lili White on Snow

A few minutes later a lone wolf howled on the hill from the shadows of sunlight. A strange mournful sound. An unusual call. Rarely given. Rarely heard. Three times he called. And then there was silence.

Lili White on Rocks

Kavi her mate said no more. So passes Lili into the deepest, darkest night.

Outdoors: 72°F/50°F Sunny

Daily Spark: Life begets death.

15 Responses to Call to the Darkest Night

1. Sal says:

So sorry- it is never easy to lose a member of your pack/family.

2. Ed Allison says:

My condolences to you and your family Walter. I’m sure she will be missed by all members of the pack, 4 legged and 2 legged. I have said many times, that life is the deadliest disease on the planet. It has 100% mortality rate.

3. Nicola Cunha says:

So sorry to your family for your loss

4. Herdog says:

I share in your sorrow. I had to put my big girl, Chinook, to sleep yesterday. Her little sister is still waiting for her to come home. All 3 of us sure going to miss her.

Give Kavi an extra pat for me.

5. Malena says:

So sad for the loss to all of your family. :(

6. Jeanie in NH says:

I will miss seeing stories and picts of Lily. She was a wonderful dog. She looks so spooky in the top picture. The stories of how your dogs work on your famr and interact and communicate always fascinates me. I think they are a new species CanisLupusSapiens.

7. PV says:

so sad! So well said. My condolances to you and your pack.

8. Strelsi says:

It won’t help with the grief, but tell Kavi others mourn her too.

• I will. He’s talking again. For a couple of days all he would say was “No” and “Please” together. Now he is back to his usual self. Not exactly a highly verbal talker like Katya, Remus and others, but communicating. Yesterday he said her name.

• Strelsi says:

Excellent.
        I know from experience “animals” never stopped talking, we, as a race, stopped listening. In my well worn library I have a book I read every few years written by Henry Blake of the UK titled “Talking With Horses”. I can attest to his findings. The world we live in is far deeper and richer than most ever experience. More’s the pity.
        Strelsi

9. Annie says:

Sadness and condoles to you and your family and to your pack. Lili was a beauty and I loved reading stories about her and hope to see more about her family.

Your “dogs” are different than anything I have ever met but I am limited to pts like goldens and terriers and poodles. I have wondered if your dogs are so different because they have so many generations of selection maybe thousands of years for intelligence where as ped dogs have been selected to sit quietly and be patient pets which has dumbed them down. I have loved reading about all the things your dogs do, their work their socializing their language. You have amazing dogs be it nature or nurture genetics or training in their jobs. Maybe it is a combination of their natural gifts coupled with you giving them such a stimulating mental environment very different from a dog that sits and waits for its owners to return all day from work or school. I bet some of it also has to do with your pack being a pack that has lived on for many generations instead of just single dogs alone in a human world.

Thank you for all your stories and your insights. Thank you for all that you do. And blessings to Lili wherever she journies.

10. Nance says:

so sorry; condolences to Kavi and all the friends and family.

11. Patrick says:

Sorry to hear it.

12. Annie says:

Kavi made me cry. Lili wasa beautiful lady. My prayers.

13. Ng says:

such peotry auspicious for a lovely soul