Colts Foot Flower
(Click for the big picture.)
Spring has sprung. Our snow is gone. Our first flower of spring is the Colts Foot (Tussilago farfara).
Tussilago is a medicinal plant that you may see warnings for toxicity but the pigs seem to like eating it. There are a lot of food items on the toxic plant lists which I routinely see the animals eating with no problem.
As a general rule, poisonous things tend to taste bad so animals avoid them unless they’re forced to eat them due to lack of other better foods. That’s why we have taste buds.
Many of the things which are ‘toxic’ are only toxic at certain levels, some times of year, during drought, if growing in high nitrogen soil or after being stressed by frost. Other things can become less toxic through frost or aging.
All things in moderation.
Outdoors: 50°F/40°F Rain, Overcast
Tiny Cottage: 68°F/63°F
Daily Spark: I turned on my iPod music player, selected the song list, press play and tried to plug the headphone jack into my ear. No sound…?! Briefly puzzling.