Kickstarter Postcards Mailing

Sugar Mountain Farm Postcards

We have a lot of sows farrowing, that is to say giving birth, right now. It is snowing and I’ve been sitting watching them as I write postcards so we can put them in the mail tomorrow. Our daughter Hope, age nine, has promised to help me with stamping.
Sponsoring Ad:

Check your Mailbox!

The weather has warmed so it is a nice time to have piglets. Earlier this week it was down around zero Fahrenheit, that’s -17 to those operating on Celsius. Or, a toasty 255°K for those deeply scientifically incline… Hot enough to boil dry ice! But seriously, it is much warmer and less windy now than it has been and the weather is supposed to keep on warming from here on to summer.

I still have some postcards to finish writing – I hope to get those done over the weekend. Everyone at the $15 or higher reward level should be seeing scenic sights of Sugar Mountain Farm in their mailbox soon.

For a bit of fun, when you get your postcard leave a comment here on this update with what state you are in. It will be interesting to see how the waves of cards surf across the country and some even to the other side of the world!

Outdoors: 21°F/9°F 5″ Snow, Continued Snow throughout Day, Some Wind

Daily Spark: Proposed Bumper Sticker: Ignorance is curable.

21 Responses to Kickstarter Postcards Mailing

1. Victoria says:

Walter, are you left handed?

2. Jim says:

Love those post cards! You take beautiful pictures. Those should be on racks at the drug store. They’re better than most of what I see! Any way to get some if I didn’t kickstart?

3. JohnL says:

Walter, I know I said I didn’t need any reward as the shipping to Ireland would be impractical but I’d really like one of those postcards if possible. They’re great.

• Email me your postal address and I’ll get a postcard right out to you. Would you also enjoy a calendar? It starts on March 2013 and goes to February 2014. You certainly deserve that for you most generous support of our Kickstarter project!

4. All post cards written, addressed, stamped and in the mail! Holly and Will helped me write the last few and Hope did almost all the stamping with the post office’s beautiful new apple stamps which seems somehow appropriate for our farm project given that our pigs eat lots of apples. Imagine if they were scratch and sniff apple stamps!

5. Melissa says:

Love to see that you have put those gorgeous photos into a calendar!! Looking forward to piglet photos soon as the girls start farrowing.

ANd Speaking of apples– I was looking at a catalog today to order apple trees for the spring. any suggestions on what apple varieties porkers like or dis like ? What about crab apples? My mother’s property had wonderful old trees, with small apples all over it. Most years it had a bumper crop of med-small apples. Very reliable tree. WOuld love to graft that tree someday.

Positive thoughts for the all going well for the girls.

• Enjoy – Piglets are a lot of fun! It is a darn good thing they don’t stay cute or it would be harder to make bacon!

On the apples, order what ever is hardy and productive in your zone. The pigs seem happy with any variety. I want varieties that are low maintenance and highly productive. For my own personal consumption I’m incline towards Macs. It is important to have several varieties to get good pollination. I have found that St. Lawrence Nurseries is very good.

6. I just got an email from someone in Hartland, Vermont that they had received their postcard. First report!

7. Susan Lea says:

Hi, Walter, you usually hear from me as Zephyr Hill, but I’m doing this as Mimiswardrobe from my WordPress blog. I’m nominating you for the Versatile Blogger award. I understand if you don’t care to accept since there are some things you have to do (I’ll post them shortly on my WP blog), but I want people to know about your amazing blog!

8. MaryJane Brisbane says:

Post card arrived in Decatur GA this morning.

9. irene says:

postcard received in virginia

10. Nate says:

Postcard arrived in LaFox, IL today!

11. Herdog says:

Got my Piggy Postcard in todays mail! Love it- Thanks
    Cindy in Northern California

12. louise says:

Sow & sweet piglets postcard arrived in Idaho today.

13. Patricia says:

Postcard arrived in Raleigh, NC yesterday 2/26. Thanks!

14. DennisP says:

Postcard received in Wisconsin. 2/26

15. Ranch101 says:

Postcard came a couple days ago (Tuesday the 26th, perhaps) in the SF Bay area of California. Lovely!

16. Your postcard reached me at Fryeburg, Maine. Wish you were closer as I am looking for piglets for this summer. Love your blog, I have learned so much. Thanks for sharing.

17. Bing says: