Ceilings Poured

Pump Truck Reaching High

We just finished a fabulous pour. It was our biggest ever at 82 cu-yds, the day was beautiful and the pour was wonderfully boring.
Sponsoring Ad:

Now the butcher shop is now closed in, that is to say it has big, beautiful steel reinforced concrete ceilings and roof designed to withstand the 500 year event, or more. e.g., I over engineered but then, I like building things once.

Getting closed in has been a huge push, 14 hour days for months to prep the forms. All that hard work was worth it. We added 328,000 lbs of concrete, mostly local granite no less, plus a ton of rebar, some of it stainless steel, and many more cubic yards of insulation to the top of our building. The form work didn’t even creak thanks to Ben and Will’s careful tightening of the threaded rods and shimming of all the spaces.

Next we pour the final floors for the interior in a couple of weeks after I do the trench plumbing. Then we can finish off interior rooms to start cutting meat this winter.

Thank you to every who has helped get us to this point!

We are so close we can almost smell the bacon! :)

Outdoors: 47°F/28°F Sunny

Daily Spark: Bacon is the universal appetitive. Even pigs, vegetarians and vegans crave it.

Tinker, Tailor…

10 Responses to Ceilings Poured

1. Eileen Matthai says:

Boring is good! I’m glad to hear the pour went so well, good work!

2. Jennifer says:

So glad to read your good news! I worry a tiny bit as ya’ll approach each pour. Not much, just a teeny tiny bit. Boring = safe progress.

3. Kay Gschwind says:

Yay! I can smell the bacon too!

4. Sue says:

Congratulations, you all must be thrilled! Sooo glad the weather held out for you this year, can I start doing my snow dance now?!

• Uh, hold off on the snow dance for a few weeks more as now that we’re done with exterior construction we need to get some prepping for winter farm and home tasks completed. How about we have a big snow storm on Christmas Eve? Maybe a food? Until then, just tap your toes, no full fledged dancing! :)

5. Bob says:

I’m happy it is going well! I’m sure good planning has something to do with it. Now, hoping the weather works out for you as well in the future.

6. David lloyd Sutton says:

Congratulationa on boring and kudos to your conscientious kids!!

7. Janet says:

Congratulations!! You must be really excited and releaved to finally be closed in! I have enjoyed following your progress. So what is next on the agenda?

• Aye, we’re very happy to finally have a roof over our heads. Getting to that point was nerve wracking because if something went wrong with the form work and it failed we could have potentially dumped a third of a million pounds of quick setting concrete into the interior of the building. There would have been no way to get it out and that would have destroyed the butcher shop. I spent many, many days going over my engineering of not just the final building but also the form work that held up the concrete ceilings while they were in the fluid state. We spent about a month extra making sure that all the forms were perfect, shimming, adding extra braces, more screws and triple checking everything. All that attention to detail paid off – during the pour the forms didn’t even creak as they took on the huge load of concrete. At 7:30 pm when it was essentially hard I felt really good – that was a load off my mind and onto the foundation.

Now we can work inside even as the weather turns bitter cold. Right now we’re working on some clean up things from the construction and getting the farm ready for winter. Once we get those things done I have some plumbing work to do and then we can pour the final floors in the administration section of the building where we’re planning to setup the initial butcher shop for meat cutting and sausage making. Hopefully we’ll be cutting by mid-winter. Today I was pricing doors and windows.