Stainless Steel Rebar

Stainless Steel Rebar

Stainless Steel Rebar costs 14 times more than the regular plain steel rebar but is worth the cost for special applications where we can’t risk corrosion and I don’t yet trust the less expensive but still more pricey than plain steel basalt rebar. We have some tests going with the basalt and I hope that that may be the solution for high corrosion environments.
Sponsoring Ad:

This rebar is destined to go in the overhead beam of the Abattoir, the kill floor, the slaughter room or euphemistically, the harvest room. These five rods will keep the ceiling from coming crashing down on our heads when hanging a huge boar or beef cattle. Spot weighed in at over 1,700 lbs and this should be strong enough to even hang a boar of his immense weight. The ceiling, at nearly 20′ high, is also tall enough to handle big boars like him. We joke that we will be able to even handle wooly mammoths once we get that herd up to size.

Outdoors: 62°F/46°F Sunny

Daily Spark: Telling a Pagan they’re going to hell is like telling a christian they’re going to Mordor.
-Anon

10 Responses to Stainless Steel Rebar

1. Nance says:

be sure and post once you have the wooly mamoth hanging! lol

2. David B. says:

Hi Walter,

I understand using the stainless rebar in corrosive areas, but how much corrosive material is going to get on the ceiling?

• I wondered if anyone would think of that. Actually constantly. You see we will wash the facility with organic acids like citric acid, lactic acid, vinegar, etc. All of those are highly corrosive to steel and the ceiling gets washed. Thus all exposed metal in the facility is stainless steel. The track hanger sockets we’ve been embedding are stainless steel. We also have used polyfiber and basalt reinforcement extensively – those don’t corrode. The basalt is theoretically as good as steel but I don’t trust it yet. The highway departments are doing testing and so am I. I have it in places I feel I can trust it but for the reinforced overhead inverted T-beam of concrete I went with stainless steel since it is a known in a place I can’t have failure. I would love to use stainless steel rebar everywhere but it is way too expensive. I’m hoping that the basalt proves itself and in future construction we’ll use it more extensively. The basalt is more expensive than plain steel but a lot less expensive than stainless steel.

• Mathew Ritchie says:

You can also coat regular rebar with epoxy.

• You can and for years I had planned to do that but recent research papers on bridges that were built that way are not encouraging. Apparently the epoxy coating gets damaged too easily during transport, placement and possibly due to thermal expansion in the concrete matrix causing cracks to form in the epoxy coating which then allow rust accelerants to reach the plain steel of the rebar resulting in structural failure. I had great expectations for the epoxy coated rebar and have been watching it’s use and testing for the past fifteen years in the hope that it might provide a solution to high corrosion situations like our butcher shop, compost stalls, animal shelter foundations and marine aquariums. It is looking like stainless steel and maybe basalt are the solution to long lifespans for reinforced concrete structures in high corrosion environments.

3. Pablo says:

Will you be able to ship mammoth meat out of state?

• We are hoping to be able to ship Mammoth meat internationally. It will be a premium product. Imagine tenderloins that are a meter long. Of course those will only be 3’3″ in domestic markets. :) Then there will be the ivory and hide market. Since we’re deriving our Mammoth from porcine genetics we’ll be able to avoid the international ban on ivory trade and our Mammoths will not be considered exotic animals under USDA slaughter regulations.

4. Susan Lea says:

Hey, Walter, sign me up for a wooly mammoth side, please!

I have a question. It seems like our pigs might have transported some hay from inside the trailer 50′ away and put it under a tarp awning by the little coop the duck (who shared their pasture) lives under. Here’s a link:

Is that possible? And why would they do that?

Also, is it true that pigs’ tails curl when they’re content? I know they wag them when they’re happy.

Thanks for your expert input if you get a chance!

• *grin* I’ll put you on the list for when the Mammoth meat is available. A whole side may be a bit large…

They may have moved the hay. Did it look like it had been picked up in pig mouth sized bites? Or was it in little duck sized bites?

Yes, they often do curl their tails up when content. They’ll also swish them around. Tails are great for swatting flies, and farmers. If they sand head down with tail drooping like Eeyore then they may be feeling less well. But this is not 100% reliable.

• Susan Lea says:

Thanks, Walter. I’m going with pig-sized bites. The poor duck can’t walk very well, and I’m pretty sure she couldn’t have gotten up the ramp into the trailer and have made it that far enough times to carry that amount of hay. Knowing the girls were content makes me feel better about what we did. :(