Cottage Fall 2012

Cottage Fall 2012

We’re having a delightfully warm fall. Up until recently it has been very sunny and we’ve been doing a lot of construction on the butcher shop. Recently we’ve been in the clouds with falling mist or getting actual rain, which is needed. I’m glad to have the water tables being replenished.

Outdoors: 73°F/47°F Mostly Sunny

Daily Spark: Stock up! Bone soups are good for the body.

Tinker, Tailor…

9 Responses to Cottage Fall 2012

1. Jeremy Loucks aka Copperhead says:

Don’t worry too much about the water tables . . . aren’t we supposed to have a bad winter ;)

2. Beth says:

I have to tell you that I am realling enjoying your posts! We just had a 40×20 slab poured for a garage. We had a few pros come for the pour but we are going to add some details ourselves. An apron, some steps and so forth. It’s kid-stuff to you but a start for us. It was thrilling to see the cement pour from the truck so I can imagine what it’s like for you. I can’t wait for all the forms come down around your butcher shop!!

3. Susan Lea says:

Since we don’t make hay we ALWAYS want more rain! :)

4. Nance says:

Your little cottage looks sturdy and cozy. Love the sunflowers growing up and around . . . and of course, I remember the granite stoop and the substaintial walk. Here in southern Iowa, we need our water table replenished. It is dry . . . and getting dryer. Never thought I would wish for a winter of Plentyful Snow!

5. Terry Hardy says:

Hi Walter,

I just wanted to let you know how much I appreciate
    The information you have been passing along to me and everyone
    Else who asks you help with your busy schedule.

But I do have one more question.

I have pregnant Berkshire and I have separated her from
    The herd because I think she is getting close
    But she is very unhappy, will this pass?
    The reason I separated her is because I had 2 sows and a boar in a
    12 x 12 space. Hoping you cam help again.

Thanks,

Terry Hardy

• With that space I would definitely suggest separating her. She will not like it but will cope. Things that will help: lots of good bedding for her to arrange to make her nest, plenty of food, attention from you.

• Terry Hardy says:

Hi Walter,

That 12 x 12 space is just for sleeping quarters otherwise they are the fields all day. Do you think if I both pens open, even at night that she will pick her own space? I have a really good natured boar but I am unsure how he would react with the young if all left to their own devices, I know that this is how you do it but my guys are on 2 acres not 20 or 30 acres of free range.

• With it getting colder you may want to provide her with a separate space. 12×12 for her to have a litter and the others to sleep is really pushing it. Two acres is fine for a few pigs. Just divide it into four or more sub-paddocks and do managed rotational grazing.