Ferret Tape

Luna Playing with Tape

A piece of packing tape got stuck over the table edge and one of the ferrets discovered it. She had a great deal of fun tugging at it. Ferret fun. They’re built like a Slinky with the personalities of kittens that never grow up!

Outdoors: 59°F/38°F Sunny

Daily Spark: I love it when people say things are impossible. Then they go whizzing backwards into forgotten history as the impossible becomes the norm.

Tinker, Tailor…

11 Responses to Ferret Tape

1. Jeff says:

You know I was wondering how you fished wire through the conduits. Now I know! A wire tied to a ferret’s tail of course.

Seriously how do you keep ferrets and chickens on the same farm?

• The ferrets are really indoor pets. They have their habitat of tunnel tubes that go around the inside of our cottage and outdoors to their outdoor spaces plus Ben and Hope take them on leashed walks. Everything else on the farm is a working animal, livestock, etc but the ferrets don’t interact with the chickens. The ferrets are just for fun. Although… Ben and Hope have been training them to catch mice and we have some ideas on where that could lead. I am pretty sure I can teach ferrets not to touch chickens and such. Hope wants to breed them so she’s been studying their biology.

2. Sarah says:

Have you considered doing a weekly or bi-monthly post of farm pictures? I’d love to see more pictures of the dogs, pigs and ferrets.

• What sort of pictures and topics? Posts tend to be sort of what ever I think of writing. Writing is an evening relaxation for me as well as somewhat of a documentation of projects. I’m always taking pictures so there’s lots of possibilities. I’m open to suggestions for topics.

• Caroline says:

I’d love to hear more about how you train your dogs, and what the dogs do on the farm. Maybe a “day in the life” of one of your young dogs in training, and another of one of your adult working dogs?

• Sarah says:

I agree with Caroline and Beth. Also I was thinking of the Sheep/Goat of the week on Juniper Moon Farm’s website. Over all lots of pictures of the ‘critters’ with long or short explanations would be great.

3. Beth says:

Walter, I check every day for updates, sometimes twice. I’m always waiting for pictures, of anything and everything. I loved seeing the ferrets, especially the habitats that you have for them. Also, anything new with the butcher shop is always fun to see. I love seeing pictires of the kids and their antics. Any new pig pictures are appreciated. I used to post often on my blog but after a few years it seemed like it was repeticious. A reader told me it didn’t matter, she liked seeing it anyway and I understand what she meant. I’m very excited for you and the butchershop to come. So any pictures are really appreciated. So even if it seems like something we’ve seen before, I am happy to see it again. I would love to see some of the details as the butchershop comes along too. -Beth

4. Jeff says:

I’d like to see posts on how your family uses pork oddments in your cooking. This weekend I am having a few pigs butchered and will be trying my luck with grilled pigs ear, British pork ‘faggots’ and head cheese.

• We do a lot of soups, stews, chilis and other long slow cook meals which tenderize and get the good food from things like head, hocks, trotters, bones and such. We also make head cheese, a jelly like solid stew that is great on sandwiches – we like ours salty, perhaps because working hard we use up a lot of salt. We also use the back fat for making cooking lard and jelly for stew thickening. I’m planning to do a section in the blog on cooking. Perhaps we’ll do a weekly recipe. Probably that will start next summer or fall.

5. Jeff says:

Should have mentioned the faggots are a type of meatball

I will try to use the lungs in it.