Pink Flower

Pink Dragons

This is the first time I’ve seen this flower. Anyone have an ID on it?

Leaves and Stem in Middle

Outdoors: 79°F/57°F Sunny, Night Rain 1/2″

Daily Spark: Paranoid Poultry: a chicken in every plot.

12 Responses to Pink Flower

1. Kristin says:

Looks like a Snapdragon but most wild ones are “Butter & Cream”. What do the leaves look like? I’m not finding it in my field guide.

2. A true plant nerd cannot turn down a challenge. That is toadflax, likely purple toadflax. It can be invasive, which is probably why it’s just now showing up on your farm.

• ranch101 says:

So is toadflax closely enough related to flax to be at all useful? (I spin, so I’m always looking for interesting fiber sources :)

3. No, it can’t be spun. It’s name derives from the resemblance of the foliage on some species to flax. It is also (very) mildly toxic.

4. I looked up a bunch of different plants all called Toadflax but this doesn’t fit those. I don’t think that it is a Snapdragon either. I took a photo of the leaves which I added above. It is possible this was in a package of wild flower seeds I planted at one point and it washed down hill to this location, or perhaps was carried there by an animal.

5. Michael says:

Vicia villosa (without the right foliage…), or maybe a Misopates ?

• Vicia villosa, also known as Hairy Vetch, is something we have quite a bit of and that is very different than this plant. Vetch is a good animal food and quite pretty.

Misopates on Wikipedia redirects to Antirrhinum which is snapdragons and I’m starting to think that might be the right identification for this plant. Mine has thinner leaves which might be due to soil, light or some other variation.

• Michael says:

Misopates/Antirrhinum orontium, introduced by the Romans to Central Europe from the Mediterranean.
        Once common in ploughed fields, it has yielded to modern agricultural practices and is now an endangered species here.
        It’s not poisonous.

6. Kristin says:

Comparing the leaves to both Toadflax (via the internet) and Snapdragon (in the front garden bed) and this sure looks like one of the two. I’ve looked at Angelonia, Figwort, Lupin but the flowers on your plant are distinctly Snapdragon or Toadflax. If you think they came in a wildflower mix, then they are likely Snapdragon.

Why do you think not, Walter?

7. Kristin says:

Alright, you did not have Michael’s post up nor your response when I commented this morning. Different varieties of snapdragon have different sized leaves. We have 2 different varieties out front and one had thicker leaves, larger flowers. The other is taller with finer leaves and tiny flowers. So variety within the genus.

8. David lloyd sutton says:

I have the Pocket Guide to Wild Flowers of North America by Joan Barker. In it the only blossoms I see like these are of the Great Lobelia; Blue Cardinal Flower, or Lobelia Siphilitica, so named because some Amerindians used a tea made from the roots to treat syphilis. A tea of the leaves was used to treat colds, fevers, and stomach problems, though there is a caution that the plant is potentially poisonous. Leaves in my photo shot are toothed, but the description says there is variation among typically lanceolate leafing, and the toothed characteristic is non-uniform throughout the variants. The distribution is right for your area.

Eating lots of red tomatos, and today my green beans produced for the first time, going from tinies to six inches over night. zuchinnis being productive too, now our local heat wave has passed. Chili peppers are going red. Even though I only have one five by fifteen bed, I have to give away most of my pickins. Sorry I can’t swap for some of those hot dogs!

• Tomatoes! You’re eating tomatoes! You evil man, stay back, tempt me not with your fruits! :) I’m very jealous. My tomato plants just started to bloom. On the plus side, I have tomatoes, tomatillos, squash, pumpkins and sunflowers growing wild in our fields. Where the pigs pooped out seeds the plants come up and now they’re self seeding as they’ve come back even when the pigs haven’t been in an area for a year or two. We just have to wait longer into the summer. *sigh*