Watch Dog

Kavi Jaws Wide Open

Kavi is one of our livestock guardian and herding dogs. In other words, a watch dog. I’m not sure what he was doing with the watch but apparently the “Funny Times” newspaper wasn’t holding his interest, unless that is a laugh rather than a yawn that it looks to be.

Outdoors: 74°F/51°F Sunny

Daily Spark: “We Americans, we’re a simple people… but piss us off, and we’ll bomb your cities.” -Robin Williams, Good Morning Vietnam

12 Responses to Watch Dog

1. Karl says:

is that a watch on his wrist?

2. Karl says:

oh i guess i should read the post before i comment on the photos. I entertained a fantasy that you had some intricate training regimen involving complex alarms and different tasks at different times.

silly me

• That would be an interesting idea… Getting him to tell time worked better with the digital watch rather than analog and he has a hard time setting the alarms himself as his fingers are so thick yet the buttons are so small so we have to set the alarms for him.

3. Jean says:

Is that handsom Kavi sitting in the shadows of the field in the grass of your header picture? Or is that another of your dogs?

4. Walter,

I nominated you for the Versatile Blogging Award: http://www.olyfarmstead.org/2012/05/25/versatile-blogger-award-hooray/

Just wanted to say thank you for always providing such open and honest information, you are a true resource to all farmers, but especially Freshman Farmers like me!

• I’m honored and thank you but right at the moment between spring farm stuff, construction and the 41 piglets that were just born in the last two days I’m not going to be able to get to this for a while.

• Oh gosh, I don’t think it matters if you ever get to it :) I honestly think it’s one of those things that bloggers created to make more blog posts…but of course I meant it. Your farm really is the model we have set before ourselves to emulate in our way and I am always excited to see a new post from you guys!

ps: love the new commenting system!

5. Amy says:

You have such beautiful dogs. He is so hansom with that big mane. I love seeing dogs with that thick fur!

6. Red says:

My grandmama what big, shiney, white teeth you have…!

Love that smile!

Looks like Kavi could swallow a basket ball?!

How big is he?

• Maybe a volley ball. Kavi is about 80 lbs I think. He’s very trim. He was the biggest dog in the pack for a while but his son Remus is much taller and will be much bigger when full grown. Two of his other sons are also bigger than he is now. Two of his ancestors were up in the 160 lb range as adults – that was all muscle and bone. Hagrid, one of them. Was as tall as me when he stood on his hind legs. Kavi is much smaller.

7. Jerold G says:

Oh-my! I didn’t know dogs could open their jaws that wide! I bet predators run in fear when they see those teeth flash open at them like that. He looks like he could just swallow someone whole. Grandmama watch out!