Sunrise Springrise

Sunrise over South Field

As the sun rose I saw we’re Kickstarted to 24%!

Being on the south eastern slope of the mountain we see some beautiful sunrises when we’re out working early in the morning. The one above is looking southward out across the south field and far south field. Such creative names. Perhaps we should call these fields David and Adeline instead. Ah, well. South field is more descriptive.

We’ve been enjoying this warm weather. The mild winter was a blessing for the livestock and us alike. These seem to come in cycles. Given my druthers I would much rather have a warm winter like this than the brutal one in the mid-1990’s where it even snowed in July and August.

The snow has melted from our fields except in the deepest pockets of shade. This is about a month earlier than usual and the animals are enjoying going out in to their first explorations into the fields. Will has been working on tightening up fencing, a routine spring project.

Even with the snow melted we’re still getting nightly snows of a quarter inch to two inches that whiten the landscape in the morning. This will go on for a while. I’m not planting gardens yet but we are doing some frost seeding.

Outdoors: 39°F/22°F 1/2″ Snow over night, Sunny

Daily Spark: The Tree of Life is self pruning. -Darwin Awards II

13 Responses to Sunrise Springrise

1. eggyknap says:

Out west we’ve had a mild winter, too, and although it was nice, it has left us concerned that we won’t have much water for the summer. Is that a concern in your bit of the world?

• It can be. Years ago we had a series of three winters like this but even less snow and it was a dry summer. Our location is protected from this as we have so many springs above us but other people did run out of water and some of our neighbors went to drilled wells when their spring wells dried up. Drilling around here is expensive as it means going down through granite. But in the decade since we’ve had many winters of deep snow. It comes in cycles. I remember the same thing in the 70’s and 80’s and Lloyd, the man we bought our land from, regaled me with stories of it from the entire last century. His father remembered from the 1800’s when people left for the west due to the winters being to harsh here – the mini-ice ages. Fortunately things have warmed since then.

2. Pam R. says:

We do have fields named: Kathy’s, Peter’s because that’s the names of the owners we free lease from. The rest are Front, Middle, Back 40 (actually 3 acres).

• You do it the descriptive way like us. I feel verified. :) We have some others named Lower Orchard and Upper Orchard. There are no fruit trees there but I plan to plant apples and pears there soon, thus the names. Future tense descriptive.

3. Chris B. says:

I am wondering where you are getting your seed mixes to frost seed? I was able to get some deer plot mixes that has Brassicas in it but they were rather expensive. Any recommendations?
    Thanks, Chris

• Seed is expensive but the food it provides is worth it. Johnny’s in Maine is a good source. There is a very good place in Vermont that I’m blanking the name on right now which also does heirloom seeds.

4. Chris B. says:

Are you using there Dwarf Essex Rape? If not any other suggestions on seed/plan types. I am feeding my pigs an all Organic Diet From Cold Spring Farms in NY and am looking forward to letting them loose on pasture.

• I’ve seen that name but I don’t remember at the moment if that is what we have used. I may just remember the name from having looked through catalogs. The big question is how it will grow in your soils and climate.

5. et says:

High Mowing Seeds

6. Chris B. says:

I am trying to convert an old wood lot and am starting with Tamworth’s and again the seed mix for a deer plot with a high amount of Rape, Alphalfa, turnips and Clovers. Since the woodlot is on a hillside I think drainage for growing Rape should be good. Any thoughts on pig friendly food in wetter low lying areas?

7. Susan Lea says:

Winter’s gone here after paying us a half-hearted visit, and oh, my, are we paying for it in BUGS!