Hunka Metal

Found Object

Hmm… So what is this hunka metal? The pigs dug it up in the field. Ideas?

Outdoors: 31°F/10°F 6″ Snow

Daily Spark: There is a saying, “You make your own luck.” Remember that it cuts both ways, some people also make their own bad luck.

9 Responses to Hunka Metal

1. Susan Lea says:

No idea, but I like the metal-detecting pigs! I’m always bringing home old “junk” I find out in the fields. Maybe soooome day I’ll find a real Civil War relic!

2. Zach says:

Piece of old rail road rail?

3. Leon says:

I mostly find broken glass bottles (pretty old, usually smooth edges by now) and beer cans. Our pastures used to be a watermelon patch until 1960 or so.

4. Sal says:

Looks like a grouser bar off a bulldozer or excavator track

5. Nance says:

I don’t know what a grouser bar is . . . but glad you found it! In my northern Missouri “dig” (lol; tongue in cheek) I find pieces of pottery, glass and stonewear. I find metal beer pop tabs. Remember those? I also find railroad spikes and metal farm implement parts. Even horse harness things.

6. Mike Schiewer says:

Its a rail road clip of some type. I find these everywhere on the tracks behind my house

7. Interesting possibility, considering I found it up on the mountain. So perhaps it was picked up by someone and carried for use in something here.

8. Farmerbob1 says:

Did the village that used to be on your land have a blacksmith? If so, that piece of metal is big enough it might have been collected for use as recyclable bar stock. It could be literally anything.

It does, however, appear to have evidence of a weld on it. It there is a weld, it’s probably too new to have been recycled bar stock for a smith.

Is it bent, or flat? I’m having a hard time telling for sure.

How big is it, really? I don’t recognize those plants. If I had to guess, I’s say it was around a foot and a half long. It appears to be pretty darn thick for a grouser bar, unless the prior landowner had a mighty big dozer. Also, there aren’t any holes for bolting a grouser bar in place. It’s possible that it might have been welded in place? If that’s the case there should be welds.

My last guess would be that it *might* be the guide bar for a really old single cylinder steam engine. The shaft from the cylinder and the shaft from the wheel come together at a block. The block slides back and forth in the groove of the iron bar.

Here’s what I mean: http://www.aubreysantiques.com/steamengine1oct30-2013.jpg