Approaching 10,000 Comments

Looking North at Snow Frosted Sugar Mountain in Morning Light
Click for big view

We are within 1% of hitting the 10,000 comments mark on our Sugar Mountain Farm blog. Will you be that lucky person who leaves the 10,000th comment? Is there a prize? Well, not that I know of but who knows… What fun!

Snowed Cherry Tree

Over the past week the over one foot of snow we had dumped on us melted. Last night we got a new dose of the white stuff so things were looking pretty white this morning. We started the day inside a cloud but it quickly cleared to crystal blue skies.

I walked up the water road to check out things. The morning sunlight was just barely touching the top of Sugar Mountain. The ground under the snow was soft. This is common up here were we get early snows. Its good for water lines and plant life but bad for logging. The solution is to clear snow off of logging trails and then the ground freezes up hard there so that the equipment and dragging trunks don’t damage the soil. During the cold season the trees are also not damaged as much by being bumped and their roots are protected by the hard ground and the snow pack. This makes winter a very good time to do sustainable logging.

Since it was an inside snow day for the early morning hours we finished installing the attic floor boards over the bathroom in our cottage. I put in the bathroom light and worked on a writing assignment. Will made spaghetti sauce and organized the spices. Ben and Hope stripped mint leaves for this year’s tea. Cozy.

Factoid of the day: If the temperature is around freezing then the ratio of snow to rain is 10:1. If the temperature drops to 10°F then the snow is fluffier and the ratio rises to 15:1. Thus 1″ of rain is about one foot of snow.

Outdoors: 36°F/21°F Sunny, 4″ Snow over night, Windy in the morning

Daily Spark: Enjoy all your successes and learn from all your mistakes.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Approaching 10,000 Comments

1. valerie depeyster says:

4″ snow in sandgate too

pretty as a postcard

warm around the kitchen stove

but critters need to eat

and the excitement of chores without chains on the truck

is hard to resist

2. Susan Lea says:

What absolutely gorgeous photos! We had flurries on Lookout Mountain the other day, but lots of rain down here. I’m so glad, looking at your ratios, that it wasn’t snow! We would have suffocated under all that!

3. Jeff says:

This is a shameless attempt to be the 10,000th comment. Love your site Walter. You are a true inspiration.

4. David B. says:

Hey Walter! You mentioned way back that you saved foam insulation for years to use it for your cottage and butcher shop. I was wondering if you had any advice on where to get free or cheap foam board? I’d like to start saving up as well.

5. CarolG. says:

Another shameless attempt to be commenter 10,000. I am amazed by all you and your family have accomplished.

6. Jeff Marchand says:

Walter, can you do a tabulation of who have been your top commenters? Excluding yourself and Mr. and Mrs Anonymous, of course. You must have almost nearly 5,000 posts yourself since you reply to just about every comment.

• Awe, I don’t think my count’s that high. But I think you might be a high roller! :) I’m not sure how to get a stat on that. I’ll look into it. It would be interesting. Maybe there is some tool.

Update: I just figured out how to get a count of all of my own comments. It is 2,562. That means I’ve commented about 1/4th of the total number of comments. You are probably right that I have to highest total count of comments since I do often reply and that shows that I’m replying on average about one in four times or 25% of the time. Interesting.

7. Melanie Owen says:

Brrrrrrrrrrrr.
    The snow is pretty to look at….
    But I like it down here in Florida.
    I still have a little grass in the field and my field peas are still growing.
    I don’t miss the snow at all.
    I think we hit 40 degrees the other night. Not freezing yet, but probably in January or February we will get a freeze.

8. Nance says:

Shameless in Iowa . . . : ) Looking for that milestone! Gosh, Walter. Can you believe it? Where has the time gone?

9. Sheila Z says:

No snow here yet in central NY and I’m enjoying that. Love the panoramic view.

10. Michael says:

I’d never just place a comment because there’s some price involved :)
    Looks like you’re well ahead on the snow-frosting front !

11. Melanie says:

We have been getting chilly than warm then chilly and then warm again.
    I worry about myself getting sick, and also the pigs getting sick from the changes.
    I think I have a pig with a respiratory infecting from the changes.
    Just watching and waiting to see how it goes.

• We get a lot of back and forth in the fall and then again in the spring. With the animals being outside they get plenty of fresh air and don’t get respiratory diseases. Seems to work for us too. What I have read is that when animals are kept in tight barns over the winter they get a build up of ammonia and other gases that are damaging to their lungs making them more susceptible to disease. Then disease gets passed around. Much like modern office buildings and such.

If you think you have a pig with a respiratory infection then see if you can diagnose it more clearly using the Disease Problem Solver at thePigSite. Often the solution is merely to get the animal through the time so its body can fight off the infection itself. Much like with a human cold. Speaking of which, keep aware that we can give colds, the flu, etc to our pigs. If you are feeling under the weather you want to take precautions to protect their health.

12. Bob Williams says:

Walter, You have such wealth of knowledge that you so unselfishly have given freely to others. I salute you. Best wishes on you and your families ideas & dreams. many thanks, Bob Williams