Catching Flies

Fly Trap – Just Setup

Have you ever seen those fly traps that fit in a bottle opening and use a scent based attractant?

Fly Trap – After a Month

They work.

Outdoors: 70°F/50°F Partially Sunny, 2″ Rain last night

Daily Spark: While I didn’t invent the Internet, or at least not all of it, I did invent Al Gore. Sorry.

11 Responses to Catching Flies

1. eggyknap says:

Agreed. Our first one — which was sorely needed — filled up with an inch of flies at least, after just an hour.

2. Mel says:

Oh, disgusting!

The more important question is has there been a noticeable difference in the number of flies outside the trap?

• Yes, Mel, there is a definite reduction in the number of flies. >99% reduction I would guestimate. And yes, the traps get pretty disgusting! I think part of how they work so well is they’re catching flies who would have otherwise bred to produce more flies.

3. Pablo says:

Amazing and disgusting at the same time!

4. Pam R. says:

What’s in that fly trap, Walter? And where do you find the tops to the bottles?

• I have seen them at hardware stores, feed stores, Tractor Supply and online at

The fly trap starts out half full of water plus a squirt of attractant scent to bring the flies to it. The scent smells like rotting carcass. Delicious, to a fly.

After a trap has been up in a spot where there were a lot of flies they’re almost totally gone. It is amazingly effective. The only thing more effective is chickens. But for the places where I don’t want the chickens roaming the traps work.

5. David Lloyd Sutton says:

In Santa Babara we were about half a mile from a commercial stable with immense outdoor manure piles. Flies got to be a plague, some years. Just as the stable did, mostly for their strays, I employed the traps that use a glass vessel, about the same size as the plastic jug you’re showing. And for the same reason — didn’t want my chickens or ducks in the garden. I never used much liquid, just a spoiling piece of meat, most often pork, which seemed to reek just a bit whiffier than beef, and got the same results. When I had a jug nearly full I’d hose in water to drown the late comers and the whole mess would go into my compost. Advantage of glass is that you can wash and bleach it for cold season storage. I had a couple of traps that lasted five years or more, until breaking accidents, and the tops lasted longer. The black undersurface of the top has to be repainted if it lightens up. The whole trick is that flies don’t want to fly into the dark. Aquilum non captat muscos. And hawking with flycatching phoebes is time consuming.. But letting them suicide works fine. Happy trapping!

6. Susan Lea says:

But our Muscovy ducks are so much more photogenic–and they ate all the flies in our barnyard all summer! :)

(Sorry for all the comments, but I’m catching up on your blog after having been out of the country for 2 1/2 weeks.)

7. Johan van der Merwe says:

Agreed, they work and indeed make good compost.

8. Farmerbob1 says:

If you have problems with fruit flies, you might try the same thing, except with apple cider vinegar. It needs to be apple cider vinegar though – the scent attracts fruit flies like mad.

ACV is such handy stuff. Cures most heartburn in five minutes or less, and lets me eat fruit regularly in the house without needing to keep the fruit trash stored in a sealed container. Your family, of course, has a perfect place to dispose of fruit trash, but I figure there might be times of the year when you have a surplus of fruits and veggies around, and they might be breeding fruit flies.