Kavi likes M&M’s. In fact, all our dog’s like chocolate. Chocolate glazed donuts are their favorite.
Yes, there is a myth about chocolate being deadly for dogs. Some dogs have sensitivities to chocolate, just like some people can’t have peanuts, chocolate, salt or any variety of other things. There are also chemicals in chocolate that if taken in sufficient quantity are toxic to dogs, and people. An allergic or toxic reaction is no joke for those who undergo it. But the reality is death by chocolate is primarily a myth. It takes a lot of the responsible chemical theobromine and even caffiene in chocolate to make any difference to the average dog. We have big dogs and it takes even more to affect them since it is a body weight issue. They’re not going to get that much chocolate – I want it! Our dogs have eaten a lot of chocolate over the years so I know they’re not allergic or toxically affected.
Same goes for eating chicken bones, pork bones, etc: another fine myth. Our dogs eat chicken, duck, pork, mouse and other bones all the time. Sometimes they even dine on coyote bones. Raw, cooked, baked, fried and broiled it’s all good from their point of view. Heck, I watched one of our bitches swallow a whole chicken – python like. Then an hour or so later after it was properly marinated she spit it back up for her pups. They piled on and devoured it totally. Now there is a National Geographic moment…
So what’s the basis of these myths? Some dogs are allergic and some dogs do have a problem with bones. A vet I talked with said that on the bones it is the smaller toy dogs, the basset hounds, the beagles and such that he sees problems with. They simply no longer have the strong constitutions and digestive acids their ancestors had to deal with bone. He said that big dogs who are closer to their wild forbearers are less likely to have a problem and more likely to be fine eating bones. After all, they eat bones in the wild and have evolved for tens of thousands of years stealing burnt bones from our fire pits.
Note: I’m not telling you to go feed your dog chicken or pork bones and if it does choke it is not my fault. Nor am I saying to give your dog chocolate. But ours do fine on them, contrary to the myth. I suspect the vet is right that this is one of those size and breed of dog issues.
But back to the M&M’s: When I give Kavi one he takes it and sets the candy on the floor where he examines it. Then he picks it up and eats it. What was he doing? Checking the color? I can just imagine: “Phew…” he thinks, “It wasn’t blue. I hate those blue ones…” Yes, I know dogs aren’t supposed to be able to see color but why is he looking at it each time?
This brings up another myth: that dog’s can’t see color. Actually, they can see color, it’s just dichromatic – that is to say two rod color based.[1, 2] We have three rods and see more colors. They do see color, just differently and in a more limited spectrum than we do. Likewise, we see color in a more limited spectrum than birds and some other animals.[1, 2, 3] Compared with them our view of the world is dull.
Outdoors: 76°F/53°F Sunny
Tiny Cottage: 71°F/66°F
Daily Spark: Isn’t what you can do but what you can do with what you’ve got.