Mystery Photo: Scat

Scat

Somebody got eaten. Lots of little bones. Probably mice based on their size. Lots of hairs, pretty fine. I suspect this is came out the back end of a coyote. The question is, who went in. Notice the good sized claw or is that a canine tooth? Perhaps someone’s cat? Looks like a feline claw, perhaps. The claw or tooth looks too large to match with some of those smaller bones, even if they were tarsal (paw) bones.

Click on the photo for a larger version so you can see more details. Down in the lower right corner of the larger image will be an ‘X’ for zooming in even further. Click that. Use your cursor to move the image around if your screen is smaller than the blown up image. What do you see?

Outdoors: 72°F/43°F Sunny

Daily Spark: Mother Nature doesn’t care a wit about political correctness.

Tinker, Tailor…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Mystery Photo: Scat

1. David Lloyd Sutton says:

I’ve seen thousands of coyote scats. Never seen any with bones (or that claw thingie)that size, though I’ve seen hair . . . mabe one of your neighbor bears using the woods as they famously do after predating a badger, or something else losing winter cover?

2. Troy Duker says:

I don’t know much about scat, but that kinda looks like an owl pellet.

3. FS ME says:

It obviously shows that what every animal did this, is not digesting its food very well…

4. Steven says:

Whatever that came out of likes pine straw.

5. Eva E. E. says:

I have no idea who squatted there or what they ate other than the obvious conifer needles and meat but I have to tell you that I love your photos. The range from the fascinating ones like this that I would never see in my life or imagine even photographing. Then there are the beautiful flowers and landscapes you do. Visiting each day is like a calendar.

6. Nance says:

okay, please tell. signed, curious

7. I’m pretty sure it is coyote scat, not bear or owl. I’m guessing it ate a small cat but hoped someone else might be able to tell better. There are fine soft hairs and the conifer leaves which probably indicate it dined under spruce trees, accidentally ingesting some of the needles.

8. Beth says:

It doesn’t look exactly like the coyote scat we get around here (Cape Cod), which is much fuzzier and drier-looking. (Though coyote was my first guess.) Maybe it’s from a big mountain lion?

9. Beth says:

Wait! I know! It’s a fur-ball coughed up by a bobcat (or cougar)!!