Pastured Poultry Picture

White Orpington hens and
NH Red rooster.

Automatic,
All Natural,
Organic and
Pest Control

The chickens also break apart manure patties and smooth the soil which saves machine work.

Free eggs to boot and chicken soup in the fall!

The poultry naturally follow the larger livestock so we don’t have to fence them in. We do have to fence them out of gardens with plants that are sensitive to the chickens. This depends a bit on the season and plant type – e.g., chickens are hard on seedling corn but fine with maturer corn. Likewise with potatoes.

Outdoors: 51°F/31°F Misty

Daily Spark: Perhaps Pollack was a sauce chef before he was a painter.

Tinker, Tailor…

10 Responses to Pastured Poultry Picture

1. jen says:

I’ve heard that Guinea Hen’s bark, is that true?

• Hmm… More of a piercing shrill call. They are pretty noisy. We had them for years although right now we’re without guineas. Perhaps my brother, who has them right now, will chime in since he hears them more now than I.

2. Lovely. I miss my hens. We never did manage to acquire guineas. We were offered them free once, but we couldn’t catch them.

3. Lindsey says:

I LOVE my hens – barred rock, easter egger and gold laced wyandotte. They wander all over the property and eat the weed seeds and unruly insects.
    Free eggs and pest control – can’t beat that.
    Plus, I think they are pretty to look at and my daughter gets a kick out of chasing them around.

• I love seeing the variety of birds too. It makes life that much more interesting and colorful. In addition to the ones in the picture above we also have the Laced Wyandotte, Americauna/Araucana, Speckled Sussex and this year I am trying a new breed: Ancona from Italy.

Speaking of beautiful chicks, I have a brag, and this is going to embarrass my wife Holly. You see she was invited by the American Poultry Association to do illustrations for their standards books after they saw her artwork. That is quite the accolade to her talents and I am ever so proud of her. Unfortunately, at the time and since, she was too busy with other projects. Maybe someday you’ll see her signature on some of those gorgeous illustrations of birds in the standards books.

4. TERRY LUND says:

WALTER, WHAT A GREAT OFFER BY THE APA. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HER DRAWINGS IN THE STANDARD OF PERFECTION. WE OURSELVES JUST GOT THE NEW APA STANDARD.

5. Ashleigh says:

Great lookin birds! We got chickens to pick through our poo but they prefer to sit right by the road and watch the cars go by…. If you have any tips on how to keep the birds in the back 100 acres and off the front lawn… I’m all ears! Your Rooster is very handsome! We have Americauna’s, Red Sex-Link and Chinese Grey Geese… Love that I’ve found your site. We are just starting up our family friendly no wierd stuff (<3 it) farm in Ontario, Canada and I love searching the net for tips on how to do stuff better!

6. faiz says:

i have a small farm of wilde animal whose name i select nature wilde life farm and i have large wariety of birds like
    guinea (white guineas, gar guineas,pied guineas and hybride guineas)
    peafowl(white peafowl,indian peafowl,black shoulder peafowl)
    hens (i have many types but most important for discusing is Aseal hen those are comonly used for fighting in Pakistan)
    Turkey (white turkey,balck turkey, gray turkey,wild turkey, pied turkey)

7. Patricia says:

Ya, my chickens wander TOO much. I brought home some brand new decorative cabbages, those ones that look like rosettes or whatever. You can eat them, too but I was trying for something in front of the house instead of pop cans. They were stubs within a day. $4 snack for the chickens. AAAUUURRGH. I want to line part of the yard or maybe the whole property with a low line of electric wire to both keep chickens and dogs in, and keep chickens confined to the back half, but I am afraid of getting sued by someone dork that decides to come traipsing up to my porch (in spite of the Rottweilers), or some little kid that decides to visit touches the wire. Not good.