Eep Jeep

Interesting Parking

I see these time to time. People who have all the grip they can get and no excuse to use it. They park up on snow banks in the most delicious ways. Great fun. I suspect they are frustrated at the lack of appropriate terrain for their monster trucks, jeeps and such and just can’t resist that snowbank in the parking lot.

One of the things about the north country is there is a lot of snow. In the urban areas (population over 1,079 humans, 5,000 dogs or 10,000 sheep) they have a bit of an issue with where to put all that snow when clearing the streets and parking lots. If it snows 12″ and they have to clear 100 acres of streets and parking, such as a typical city of Barre, VT, even with compaction it comes to about forty thousand cubic yards of snow. That is a cube of snow about 100′ on a side or, should you want to build such a massive snow sculpture, that is 147′ tall pyramid of snow for sledding down. I think that may be taller than any building in the local city of Barre, Vermont. That is a heck of a big snow bank!

Much of the snow gets trucked out of town. Some towns dump it in the river where it causes the water to backup and flood the town (this has actually been done). Much of the parking areas at stores get devoted to snow piles in the winter. Fun for little kids. Fun for bigger kids with rigs.

From the looks of it this rig, named Tardis, it has never been off the city streets. I found it up in Burlington. I’m amazed they can keep it so clean because our van looks like… well… let’s just be polite and say our van is covered in mud – we’re not even trying. Good thing our van is naturally brown. Back roads in mud season create their own works of art.

Outdoors: 42°F/25°F Sunny

Daily Spark: News Flash: Rome was built in a day! They just never finished it!

14 Responses to Eep Jeep

1. Mel says:

This is totally off topic, but I’d love to hear your thoughts on this: http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/08/cracking-down-on-croparazzi/?smid=tw-nytimes

• Thoughts:
      Slippery slope.
      Unconstitutional.
      Polite people don’t intrude.
      Reactionary to PETA and the likes.

I think that in the comments of that article Paul CometX summed it up best with: “This type of stuff is written in order to keep the campaign contributions flowing, then it’s just forgotten.”

2. Mel says:

I first heard about it through some (very sane) animal welfare advocates – this law would make it illegal to record legitimate examples of abuse. These groups have many, many examples of animal abuse by private individuals that was ignored until photographs became public and local law enforcement was forced to act by the public outrage. Under this law, it’d be a worse crime to photograph your neighbor’s starving animals than it is for your neighbor to do the starving. Or to video tape the big-name “trainer” beating horses into submission. Or documenting dog fighting kennels. Very scary.

The supporters are trying to say that “of course” the law wouldn’t apply to situations like that, but that’s not how it’s written. Often abusers are being protected by powerful friends, who are keeping legal authorities from acting. They’d be thrilled to slap felony charges on anyone who tries to bring it to public attention. I really hope you’re right that it’s a campaign contribution stunt that never sees the light of court.

• Bans on photography are rather tricky. Architects try to copyright their buildings and ban people from photographing them. That is nonsense. On the flip side people should be respectful enough not to be sticking their lends into someone else’s private life but there are some people who don’t understand where that polite line exists and they walk right onto our land and start taking pictures of things without permission. In our case I don’t care if they take photos from the road since they’re taking pictures of the pretty pigs out in the fields, the leaves on the trees in fall foliage, etc but I would be pretty pissed if someone camped out and started video recording my private life. The problem is this sort of thing shouldn’t need to be legislated. There are too many laws. I’m an advocate for eliminating two laws or regulations for every new one that gets put on the books. K.I.S.

3. Sue Morgan says:

I park like that when all the “normal” parking spaces are taken ~ :-)

4. David Lloyd Sutton says:

In a similar vein to the Florida photography-felony nonsense for votes, a few years ago Diane Feinstein cosponsored a bill in committee (it never made it to the floor) that would have forbidden ANY scenes of violence in movies or television shows. That was for the PTA voters, apparently. Congress critters often seem to live on another planet, don’t they? Agree with you, Walter, trespassing and taking pictures of piggies and leaves are different matters. PETA and similar nuts are apparently eliciting, on a small scale, the same sort of draconian and self hurting reaction the terrorists have vis-a-vis our travel. Hope it stays at the level of posturing. Apprehensive though, because stuff like NAIS gets real traction with the regulator mentality/factory farm coalition. Folks who run caged mini-poodles in batteries like rabbits (I’ve seen those at a distance in Missouri) and people who run pigs in total confinement have to be worried about the potential for their sordid operations getting public notice.

5. Nance says:

Walter, I didn’t know how to post a comment about your opening photo — I love that photo. That “lane” photo. And I do enjoy reading all these comments too.

I really do not enjoy typing in the “reCAPTCHA” words, to verify my entry . . . but I can put up with that. I will do it.

• Aye, sorry about the test for humanness. I get about 111 spam for every 3 comments (current count I’m looking at). Dealing with the spam was eating up too much time. The reCAPTCHA is mildly annoying for us humans but stops virtually all spam. Spam should be fried and eaten. :)

6. Lindsey says:

I have a dude in my neighborhood who parks his jacked up jeep on the most ridiculous incline. Not because he has to. But because he can. I think it’s hysterical. Mostly b/c I think he works in an office b/c I always see him driving in a suit. And then I feel bad that he has to sit in an office all day!
    All hail extreme parkers!

7. Lola Brown says:

I just found your blog and am so grateful to you for all of the information. We bought fifty acres in Nova Scotia and it was clear cut 7 ish years ago. We had hogs growing up and my husband and I planned on raising our own to eat each year but we were just given a lovely Berkshire sow who’s weaned her third litter (she had 13!) and we’re buying one of her gilts to see how she does with her first litter. I’m hoping they will help clear out all of the saplings and brush so we can eventually graze them on pasture. I’ll be coming back here a lot to scan your old posts because they are so informative. Maybe we’ll have ourselves a nice herd soon. I think we’ll start with AI for now until we can afford to keep a boar. Anyway, thank you for the fantastic information. I’m off to find a local source of whey.

• Lola, two sows and even one set of offspring from each won’t make much dent in fifty acres of regen saplings. To get the most bang for your bush hog bite use managed intensive rotational grazing and combine them with goats or sheep who are excellent co-grazers for pigs. We also run chickens with ours. The poultry break apart the manure patties, smooth the soil and eat insects – organic pest control. Pick the best of each of their litters and grow your herd from there. In the mean time, before you have enough animals for that acreage (~300 to 500 pigs/sheep) you’ll want to brush hog it mechanically to help keep the regen down and seed it with grasses, clovers and perhaps alfalfa to name a few. Enjoy your home grown meat!

8. Lola Brown says:

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, we know that won’t touch our fifty acres of brush but we’re starting with the few acres close to the house for now until we can afford to expand. Thanks for the brush hog advice. Your right, we should keep it cut down. I’ll look into seeding it. We get some heritage chickens in a few weeks and I’m hoping to eventually have a lot to help with bugs (TICKS!) as well. I should probably back read your blog now :)

9. Timelord Victorious says:

Hey! that’s my TARDIS! For the record she’s been off road quite a bit with a local Jeep club and following the TREAD lightly guide lines to preserve VT’s class 4’s and trails.

In the winter snow filled parking bays AKA Jeep bays are all I have, plus point there is always parking in winter!