Barre Ice Sculptures 2011

Bear Chair if you dare!

In Barre, a city founded on the quarrying and carving of granite, they have a snow sculpture contest every year. Rather than making outrageously bigger and bigger sculptures every year they keep it fun and tame, something families and groups can enter in.

Iced Cupcake

Dragon Tales

Shark

Chicken

Hen a Laying

Concrete Forms used to Pack Cubes of Snow

Bearded Ice Man

Carrousel

Capital Building

This was a very big sculpture that you could actually walk inside and look up at the dome which had been done igloo style.

Naked Butt Guy

You might think that Barre is a conservative little town out in the sticks but they have avant guard naked butt guy art. Witness the warrior. But in all seriousness, do ponder the inscription below.

Youth Triumphant Granite Sculpture Inscription

Dedicated To The Patriotic Spirit And Sacrifice Of Our Country’s Youth

They Shall Not Grow Old As
We That Are Left Grow Old
Age Shall Not Weary Them
Nor The Years Condemn
At The Going Down Of The
Sun And In The Morning We
Will Remember Them

Barre Panorama

This is the view seen by the warrior in his eternal kneeling vigil as he watches downtown Barre, Vermont.

Zoom in on the panorama by clicking on it. Zoom in even deeper.

Questions of the day:
Can you find the man and his twin?

Where is the library?

Noticed the beautiful burned out and gutted building owned by the mayor. Unlike in the Tom Lehrer song it was not the mayor’s son. Do you know the song? Did you go to school with the singer and composer?

Outdoors: 24°F/12°F 8″ Snow

Daily Spark: “During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church, after doing its duty in but a lazy and indolent way for 800 years, gathered up its halters, thumbscrews, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest. She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood. Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One does not know whether to laugh or to cry.”
-Mark Twain

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Barre Ice Sculptures 2011

1. Tim says:

The twin appears to be roughly 20 seconds younger than the man. ;-)

2. Teresa says:

What a wonderful winter tradition! I am so impressed at the skill and creativity. I have problems with a simple snowman.

3. Michael says:

Walter,
    I believe the library is of the same design as the library in the small town I grew up in, except mine was made of red brick. It was massive when I was six. My first paying job was clearing the snow from its sidewalk and steps. It is a Carnegie library. Do you know if the Barre library is a Carnegie library? Maybe the design was used on others as well.

4. PattiLynn says:

drat…i’m seeing only a red x instead of the snow carrousel. the other sculptures are chillingly fabulous!! brrrr….i enjoy your blog, but hate snow/cold weather. thx for the look at barre.

~ PattiLynn in beautiful sunny Tx.

5. Good news! I fixed the problem with the carrousel missing picture. There was also another issue. I had added Holly’s photo up in the top right by mine. Coinciding with this there was a problem with users of Microsoft Internet Explorer bombing. No, that didn’t come out right. The users weren’t bombed, it was their web browser that was bombing… Well, maybe some of the users were bombed by that, honestly, was not my fault. Turns out I had accidentally figured out how to crash all the Internet Explorer programs in the world. I can even do it on remote sites beyond my own. (*insert-evil-laugh-here* World domination is mine! Mine!) Of course, you can trust that I will never reveal this secret code to any (other) hackers, crackers, government agencies or use it for nefarious purposes. Your web browsers are safe with me… Really! Anyways, the problem is now fixed.

By the way, the problem seemed to be affecting Internet Explorer 8 specifically. Upgrading to IE9 solves the problem as does using Safari, Opera, FireFox, etc. If you are getting this problem and use IE8 or below then please upgrade if you can. If you’re getting this problem and not using IE8 or below then please email me.

6. PattiLynn says:

thx for the fix and pix!

and grrrr, so You were the one responsible for my IE crashing all day long.
    8-/ *staring hard atcha* heee. glad it’s fixed now.

7. Mark Krummel says:

“Reader, suppose you were an idiot. and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.”- attributed to Mark Twain. Don’t know if you have heard this one Walter. But thought you might could find some use for it.
    Mark

8. Nice pictures, Walter. I’m wondering…. Do you happen to know who exactly that naked butt man is and what he stands (or kneels) for? Is he a Greek warrior. Or maybe a Vermont warrior (he is certainly barre). And I don’t really understand what the inscription is trying to communicate. Any help with this would be appreciated.

• “The Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Memorial on the northwest corner of City Park was dedicated in 1924 before 12,000 spectators to honor the youth of Barre who fought in World War I. The design, “Youth Triumphant” by C. Paul Jennewein, was the winner in a 1921 nationwide competition. A delight for children is the so-called “whispering gallery,” an echo which resounds from one end of the curving exedra, or bench, to the other. The memorial of fine Barre granite reflects the talents of three local carvers: Gino Tosi, Enrico Mori, and John Del Monte.”
      Barre’s Downtown Walking Tour

To me the inscription speaks of the sacrifices of war to maintain peace. I really like this statue, and a lot of the other ones around Barre. There have been a lot of talented sculptures in this town. Sometime I would like to do a walking tour of the sculptures and another of the interesting buildings. On my to-do list.

9. Okay, I have pondered and I understand the inscription. It’s speaking of those who have died in battle in their youth. I should have pondered before I posted above. But does Mr. Barre have an identity? I suspect not. How about this…. do you know how old the monument is?

10. I will answer my own question (after having done a bit of internet research):

The inscription is excerpted from the poem “For The Fallen” by Robert Laurence Binyon. It was written in 1914 “just after the retreat from Mons and the victory of the Marne.” We’re talking WWI and a victory of the Allies over Germany.

I learned something today

11. Jeff Marchand says:

Every year on Remembrance Day “For the Fallen” is read in Ottawa while the 21 gun salute is given. It always struck me as so poignant that just as the poem says the men and women who died for our country are forever young while their comrades have indeed been wearied by the ensuing years but still showing up to show their respect. We lost our last living link to the great war in 2009. Thankfully we still have lots of heroes left from WWII , Korea and Afghanistan .

12. mellifera says:

And now for something completely different…

That was one of my favorite Tom Lehrer songs growing up, probably because my little brother’s name was Dan. No, we didn’t really get a long. Why do you ask?

• *grin* My understanding is that my father went to school with Tom Lehrer. In any case he had a complete collection of Tom Lehrer’s records. I listened to them over and over as a child. When they came out on CD I bought them and my kids listen to them. They are great history lessons in addition to being a lot of fun!

13. Alice Emerson says:

Walter thank you for posting this poem and the photo of the statue. I have known this poem for a long time. It always makes me cry.

14. Jessica Sanderson says:

My mother was born in 1924 and grew up in Barre. She told us that strike breakers built the monument and that earned it the nickname Bozo Jim. A bozo was a man who crossed the picket line to work. I don’t know that the statue was carved by bozos, but the rest of the monument may have been. Barre was a hotbed of radical socialists that gained workers rights and supported other organized labor movements around the country. The Old Labor Hall on Granite Street was visited by Emma Goldman and others. It still is used and has now survived two major floods. My 2 cents.

• Interesting. I wonder which statue it is. There are quite a few beautiful granite statues around town. There is one near the intersection of Rt-62 and Rt-302 North Main Street that might be the statue. It is the only one I can think of that is a carving of a granite worker which matches the description. Here’s a photo which shows the inscription.

15. Kameron says:

Nice sculptures especially the Capital Building..! Your proficiency in your work is well depicted in your work. Thanks for sharing..! Thumbs up for your work.