Shot an Eagle

Leaping Eagle

Will shot this eagle during chores. It may have been hanging around all night, roosting in the trees between the house and south field. The dogs had been very agitated. Then this morning they alerted us as it flew over our heads and settled in the dead spruce up hill from the cottage. I tried to shoot it but the sun angle was wrong and I couldn’t get it. It was also too far away. So Will took his camera and walked up into the high fields where he got several shots of it perched and then as it leaped into the air and flew. Pretty cool. It is a beautiful bird. We don’t see many of them around here as we’re a long ways up from the river.

Outdoors: 28°F/-3°F Sunny

Daily Spark: If you want to have fun shooting things, get a camera.

10 Responses to Shot an Eagle

1. Jeremyx says:

I thought you meant he shot it with a rifle when I read the title of this post!

2. ranch101 says:

Lovely. It’s been a long time since I saw a bald eagle in the wild. I used to see them a lot when I worked in the woods up in Washington state. The only one I’ve seen in our current area was at the SF Zoo.

3. Nance says:

Eagles are just moving into our county in southern Iowa. I get very excited when I see one. The numbers are really starting to climb in Iowa but especially along the big rivers, the Des Moines, the Racoon, The Cedar and of course, the granddaddy of ’em, The Mississippi.

4. sara says:

watch your piglets. a hungry eagle would find a small amount of pork quite tasty!

5. Teresa says:

Great action shot! I’m hoping the eagles that hung out here for a month last year show up again. They are such amazing birds.

6. Jack says:

Do you have problems with eagle predation of juvenile pigs? Pastured pig producers in the midwest have had noticeable problems with eagles eating them. I’ve seen bald eagles eating a dead calf in a pasture before.

7. J Jaeger says:

We have eagles in NC, too : ). That’s a great photo. WHY would anyone have television when we have the world to enjoy?!?

8. mellifera says:

My dad worked at a nuke plant in Iowa that had a large population of bald eagles (and other wildlife) wintering nearby. Seems the warmed-up cooling water they put back in the river kept that area ice-free, plus for some reason nobody wants to develop land near nuclear plants, so they wound up with an ad-hoc wildlife refuge.

For fish-eaters, anyway. I’m sure the abnormal concentration of piscivores did weird things to the aquatic ecosystem….

• Interesting. I have read that at the nuclear power plant in NH the warm water has produced much faster growing lobsters. Unfortunately our el-stupido government considers it a felony crime to take said lobsters. If they were smart they would be using the resource. After all, they tell use that water is perfectly safe… so use it to grow local shrimp, lobster, fish, etc and reduce the burdens on the ocean populations. Sad that they don’t coordinate their hands. I’m glad the Iowa eagles are figuring out how to utilize the bounty.