Pork Hockey Pucks*

Pork Jello

When making lard for cooking we heat the back fat at a low temperature for a long period of time which renders the fat into a liquid which we drain off into mason jars. At the top of the jar the fat floats up and becomes a snow white lard which is wonderful for cooking.

Because the fat is skin on there is more protein so at the bottom of the jar is a translucent section of protein that solidifies into gelatin. We haven’t been using the gelatin in cooking much, although it would likely be great in stews or soups for thickener and very nutritious. The dogs love getting chunks for treats. I find it tastes rather bland.

So there I was, I was fooling around with the gelatin at one point and ran it through the beaters. This introduced air, much like whipping up cream. The result was a stiff, rubbery plastic like material. I put the hot taffy into molds and made… All Natural Pork Hockey Pucks! Ta-da!

“Surely he jests,” you say. No, seriously! They bounce great! Not only that but a drop of beet juice and they’re red making them easy to find in the snow! Voila! – Our new product, All Natural Edible Pork Hockey Pucks!

Well, no, I’m not going to market them but it is an interesting discovery. I do love serendipity. Just think of all the possible products: gummy bears, rubber bands, car bumpers, pavement binder, etc. A replacement for petroleum!

Outdoors: 12°F/-1°F Sunny

Daily Spark: “I want to say one word to you. Just one word. … Plastics.” -Mr. McGuire in The Graduate

*Pork Hockey Pucks are not the same as PHP

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Pork Hockey Pucks*

1. Liz says:

I bet you could market them as dog chews!

2. Kathie says:

lol! This made me laugh

3. I started making soap with the lard from our Red Wattle Hogs. When using the soap bar with cool water the lather felt a bit slimy, but the warmer the water, the better the suds and the softer my hands felt afterwards. I’ve used several other recipes for soap this winter but is the one with the pig lard that people like (and buy) the most. The incredible, edible, latherable pig ! And now you’ve invented hockey pucks…other possibilities…big dog frisbees ? Super bouncy basketballs ? playground lots ? arch supports ? riding helmet inserts ? Criminy, now I’ll be up all night

4. The Good Doctor says:

Flubber!!!!

5. mellifera says:

The Inuit whipped blubber up into a foam & dropped berries on top in the summer. The original Eskimo pie?

6. mellifera says:

Alas, I’m all about fats but don’t really know that much about Fun With Animal By-Product Proteins. Maybe someday.

One day in a plant pathology class we learned that the fellow who invented agar plates… didn’t really invent agar plates. His wife did. He’d been fooling around with beef extract, which gelled fine in the winter thanks to the collagen, but it was summertime and all he got was a plateful of consomme’. Then one day he and his wife went on a summer picnic and he noticed all of her aspics and jellies stayed together, she told him what her secret was, and he adopted it into his own recipe.

Isn’t that cool? (And thanks to the western patriarchal paradigm, he gets to be an inventor just for copying 19th-century Hints from Heloise. Now that’s what I call a White Man Win. : D)

7. Jeff Marchand says:

Have you ever made home made soap with lard from your pigs and ash from you woodstove? Thats on my homesteading to do list.

Jeff