Decorated Goose Eggs

Goose Eggs Decorated

The geese are loud. They mow the pasture grasses. They lay eggs. For a long time they were all females so the eggs are not fertile. As such we’ve not had goslings born here on our farm. That may change though as Annie, our postal lady, recently gave us two young ganders.

Geese and ducks lay eggs only in the spring. Since the eggs were not going to hatch in the past due to the lack of a gentleman of the right species Hope, Ben and I blew them and decorated the eggs. Much fun and creativity. I like doing the geometric patterns. Hope does baskets of flowers, gardens, animals and scenes. Ben did the Egyptian designs and an Earth globe on an egg, carefully free hand sketching from a high resolution map of the world. The wooden framed mirror in the background was made for Hope. The skull is that of one of our old ewes, abandoned after she no longer needed it.

This was my 1,111th post. Interesting number…

Outdoors: 24°F/-1°F Mostly Cloudy

Daily Spark: Eat good food and enjoy life, neither will keep. –NoWeirdStuff.org

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Decorated Goose Eggs

1. So while I chastising myself for not yet getting any Christmas decorations up, other than the tree we slaughtered from our own back yard, you and yours have moved on to decorating for Easter. Keeping up with the Jeffries…impossible. And is that a live wire I see coming out of the wall or just another coat hook ?

2. Jeff Marchand says:

Ive been thinking of getting ducks and geese instead of chickens next year too weed and eat garden pests. Do duck eggs taste like chicken eggs? Do your geese make good eating? are they fatty? Ive read somewhere geese are difficult to dispatch.

• The yokes of duck eggs taste more strongly sulfuric and I don’t like that as much although I’ll eat them if hungry. No need to raise one or the other, do all three. They each graze and pest pick slightly differently.

3. Jeff Marchand says:

Well I guess the great thing of having pigs around is that if I dont like the duck eggs they wont mind!

I was worried that the chickens would peck and damage tomatoes and scratch up young seedlings . Have you found this not to be a problem?

• The chickens and ducks will do all of that. The trick is timing when they’re allowed in the garden and when they’re fenced out. Clip the flight feathers of one wing and have fences of about 4′ in height and the gardens should be fine.

4. Teresa says:

Geese are broody and great parents! I love the goslings. My mom is the one that decorates the goose eggs around here. They are fun to do–I’ve had students blow them out and decorate them, and it’s always fun.

5. Sarah Certa says:

Hi – I just discovered your blog through the comments about the factory farm map on Grist.com. I’ve found Grist pretty useful in the past, but I am glad you pointed out how misleading the map is. They are showing high densities of animals and calling them all factory farms, which have negative connotations. I am disappointed in them, but thankful to you for pointing this out!

Those goose eggs are beautiful, by the way.

6. Chris says:

My little flock of ducks will disagree with you on only laying in spring.
    The 6 remaining ducks are putting out 2-4 eggs a day down in North Carolina in November. This is despite the amorous advances of the 3 drakes and a rotten egg sucking puppy.

As for the taste of the eggs, it depends on what they’ve been eating. The bulk of their diet is a pelleted feed plus oats plus sub-par fruit from the break areas at work. They also eat anything they can scrounge in the back yard. Most of the time the eggs are pretty mild. When they are sent in to do cleanup on the lawn and flower beds they tend to eat a bit of hardwood mulch while removing grubs and other things and we get green strongly flavored yolks. When we get slug explosions the eggs have a bit of shell fish flavor. And when we had a mallard hen that discovered the neighbor’s pond (and the algae in it) her eggs had enough fat in them that it would start settling to the top after beating for omelettes. But the strong sulfur flavor you describe sounds similar to how our eggs taste when they’re first let into the grassy area and start diffusing “land mines” from our dogs.

• Interesting. What breed of duck do you have? Ours are Pekin. Both our ducks and geese only lay in the spring although our chickens lay year round.

• Lisa says:

I had Khaki Campbells for a while (until the varmints got them). They out-laid any chicken I’ve ever owned. They took about 3-4 weeks off to molt, then kept on laying.

• Year round? Interesting. Our ducks and geese only lay in the spring.

• Lisa says:

Yep, year round. Khaki Campbells (at least good ones) will out lay even a leghorn. And I think they taste basically the same as a chicken egg, while my husband thinks they taste and smell “funny”. And they do it on less feed. The only thing I didn’t like about the Campbells was that they were so flighty. I’m trying Ancona ducks this year to see if they are calmer, although I’ll probably get fewer eggs. According to the hatchery, I should get 210-280 eggs/bird/year, which is still about the same as the Americaunas.

7. Farmerbob1 says:

Walter, after noting the spark, I poked around on the NoWeirdStuff.org site and there are some comments in there which seem out of date. You might want to refresh it with current information.