White Rooster – Sort Of

Whitish Araucana Rooster

This guy wakes me up at 5 am on the dot. Or at least that is the time he is picking right now. Earlier this summer it was earlier in the morning. He’s a sky watcher, sitting in the apple tree facing east to Hannah Hill across the marsh.

He is not the prettiest rooster but he’s also not the loudest we’ve ever had. For the moment he’s okay. I got him this spring, with our order of 100 hens, when I ordered six Americana/Araucana roosters. He is still young and his plumage has not fully developed. Americana or Araucana? The order form from McMurray Hatchery said Auracona. Both have pea combs and do well in our winters. The colored eggs, blue to green to whitish, are a fun contrast to the shades of tan from our other chickens. But McMurray’s illustrations don’t look anything like our birds. Variety…

One of our Americana hens from a past year just hatched chicks down by the old farm house – on top of a shed roof. Silly biddy. It was a safe place from predators but once hatched the chicks had no way to get up and down. Fortunately Will rescued them as well as getting pictures of the hatching.

It is possible the rooster above was the father, he or one of his band of ‘brothers’ which all came to us this spring. They were very young when they fertilized the hen but we have no other rooster and haven’t for a long time. I taught last year’s roosters not to crow before winter came.

Outdoors: 75°F/49°F 0.75″ Light Rain, Misty Morning, Partially Sunny Afternoon

Daily Spark:
One day an old Native American grandfather was talking to his grandson. He said, “There are two wolves fighting inside all of us – the wolf of fear and hate, and the wolf of love and peace.”
The grandson listened, then looked up at his grandfather and asked, “Which one will win?”
The grandfather replied, “The one we feed.”
Jimikiwi

16 Responses to White Rooster – Sort Of

1. Jessie says:

“I taught last year’s roosters not to crow before winter came.” How on earth did you do that?! I love the variety of colors in all of your animals, diversity is so fun!

2. George says:

Another great post Walter…….Its not very often I laugh while sitting here alone:) I’ve kept one RR for 2 years now as I have a neighbor 1/4 away that doesn’t like him and another plus is while we are hunting on the mountain in the fog we always know which way is home!!!!! George

3. (think this will not make it passed the filter but….I have to…can’t restrain myself…..trying……)

Nice Cock.

Dammit. Ok, I will leave now. I know where the door is.

4. Jessie says:

hahahahahahahahaha I forgot that you eat the mean (and noisy) ones!

5. Teresa says:

He is quite a handsome young man. I have a big white rooster here that you could take for your training program. Just come and get him!!!

6. David Lloyd Sutton says:

Non-PC story:
    When my son was four, we kept a flock of Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks. The flock’s rooster was a Rhode Island Red who stood about 27″ tall and had needle pointed spurs a good two inches long, curved and deadly. Magnificent bird, red with black highlights. He never offered me trouble, but whenever the kid was in the enclosure, and away from me, or his Mother, the rooster would aggress.
    One day, having been forced once again to run from his avian nemesis, the boy stood next to me, huffing, so mad I expected to see steam rising. I did hear a low growl. The rooster glared from about thirty feet away, strutting back and forth. The boy glared back, fists clenched.
    At that time I wore a Bowie style sheath knife, with a 1/4″ thick, razor sharp blade about 9″ long. It had been my tool of all work since I had made it during the Vietnam thing. I leaned down to the kid and asked, quietly, “Would you like to kill him?” He nodded, most emphatically, never breaking his glare, and I handed him my knife.
    He looked at it like Arthur must have at Excalibur, and then he leaped forward, the blade, a veritable broadsword for him, because he was barely taller than the cock, whirling in a flat spin overhead. He was a cotton top then, and his hair seemed to be aflame.
    The rooster poised to attack, checked, pivoted, and ran for the bush. It was a wise decision. Five minutes later, after a determined chase, the rooster took to a tree and the boy brought my knife back, carrying it a lot more carefully, and offered it to me, saying, “I don’t have to kill him anymore.”
    That rooster never gave the boy a moment’s trouble thereafter, and in fact tended to hide when the kid entered the enclosure.

7. Alberto says:

Let him get to full size and he’ll make a tasty stew.

8. Susan Lea says:

Your stories are so funny! I’m lmho!
    I just got six more “Ameraucanas” with an order of Naked Necks from Welp. I got six “Ameraucana” pullets from our local farm store last spring (one ended up being a rooster & chased off the runt hen) because I wanted colored eggs. Each hen laid a different colored egg: pinky-white, blue, green, and brown. I was disappointed that they weren’t all blue or green, so I went to visit a local breeder of Ameraucanas. They look NOTHING like my chickens! I found out by asking both McMurray and Welp about their “Ameraucanas” that they are really “Easter eggers.” In other words, they are mutt chickens that might lay blue or green eggs. Don’t ask me why they persist in calling them “Ameraucanas” when they know they aren’t! I could buy a laying hen from the Ameraucana breeder for $20, but I decided to stick with my mutts. They’re cheaper, I still get some colored eggs, and if one should die, I’m not losing $20! I just wish the hatcheries would be honest up-front!

9. Erin says:

Walt homesteading today forum isn’t coming up for me. Are they out of business?

10. mellifera says:

Pure-breed Araucanas have a gene that gives them ear-tufts if they have one copy, and kills chicks in the egg before hatching if they have two copies. So people who keep them for showing would want purebreeds because they want the ear-tufts and can deal with the 25% no-hatch rate. On the other hand, a 25% death loss before the eggs even hatch is not a good plan for a hatchery– especially since half- and quarter-Araucanas still lay the colored eggs. Purebred Araucanas are only good for breeding half-Araucanas, or for fancy chicken shows.

Mating Araucanas to another breed of chicken guarantees that chicks can only get one copy of the ear-tuft/fatality gene, so all the chicks survive. So, it would be pretty silly for hatcheries to sell people 100% Araucanas unless the customers plan to do their own breeding, for which they’d need pure-bred birds (which I think you can order too, or get from a show breeder). As far as I know “Ameraucanas” and “Easter Eggers” are two names for the same thing– half- or quarter-Araucanas.

• Cool. I didn’t know any of that. I’ve seen the tufts – rather cute – but hadn’t associated anything with the hatching rates and such. Right now the chicks with the Americauna hen are running around. Will says there were he things there were only two eggs on the roof of the shed. She has two chicks and he sais that there are no extra shells up on the roof. So if I understand this means she and the rooster aren’t pure bred. They, particularly her, are pretty and the eggs are all colored blue to whitish to green on our various hens like her.

11. David says:

I read you’ll be composting for your butcher shop. That is really good. I hat the idea that they throw so much of the animal away. So wasteful. Returning it to the natural world is the right way.

12. mellifera says:

Har. I may well have butchered the details on the genetics there, but it’s something like that….