Mysterious Purple Flowers

Purple Field Flowers

I’m not sure what these flowers are and hope that perhaps someone else out there will recognize them. The buds look a bit like Hollyhocks. Ideas?

Outdoors: 74°F/50°F Overcast, 3/4″ Rain overnight

Daily Spark: I’m gruntled. It’s the opposite of disgruntled.

11 Responses to Mysterious Purple Flowers

1. mellifera says:

The leaves and flowers look a lot like wild geranium (cranesbill). Do they have seed pods that look like long sharp bird beaks pointing up at the sky?

2. Susan Lea says:

Hollyhocks grow on tall stalks, with blooms all up the stalk. These look more primros-y to me.

3. Bill Harshaw says:

On the theory that an ignorant response adds to the wisdom of crowds, I’d agree with the cranesbill response.

4. Marie says:

I think it’s a type of mallow – is it growing in a damp site? Hollyhocks are mallows, and the original ‘marsh-mallows’ were made from the powdered root. I’ve seen them in photos and old herbals, but never seen one in person…

5. Alice says:

Cool — syncadelic! So your pastures are filled with flowers? Reminds me of sound of music. Especially with your post about the piano harp you have mounted up on the rock by your pond. Cools stuff!

6. Mary Paquet says:

Great blog. I grew up in Vermont and visit the family often. One of my sons lives in North Danville. My mother-in-law owns Paquet Farm in Barre, Vermont, where I lived until I was 26.

I found you blog when I Googled Vermont mud season — loved your 2008 entry and referenced it in my blog: http://mary-artadventures.blogspot.com/

Keep on writing and sharing pictures. Your wife is a very good artist.

Mary Paquet

7. carolyn says:

Agree w/Marie. Mallow.

8. Wayne says:

My guess is Common Corn Cockle, abbreviated from Audubon Field Guide
    description: a tall densely hairy plant, with showy pink or white flowers at tips of long stalks Flowers: 2″wide, calyx with 10 prominent ribs, and 5 narrow sepals longer than petals, petals 5 , wide, Leaves: to 4 ” long, opposite, narrow, pale green, Fruit: Many seeded capsule. Height: 1-3′, Flowering: June – September, Habitat: Fields, roadsides, and waste places, Range: Throughout US, Comments: European introduction is bothersome in grain fields because its seeds contain poisonous saponins… Look Out!

9. Nance says:

I was going to say Lavatera . . . Lavatera is a mallow tho, or related to the mallows. I used to have Lavatera reseed in my backyard, the seed bought at Jefferson’s Monticello. It bloomed that lovely pink.

10. And the mallows have it! The winner is (drum roll please!) with the most exact identification: Musk-mallow send in by Sabine and Matthew from Germany.

11. Deb says:

Marsh Mallow. They come in white too :)