Pottery Shard

King’s Plate?

Will found this shard of pottery while walking in the fields and woods. It is one of the many found items that we and the pigs turn up in the pastures. As I’ve mentioned several times before[1, 2, 3] there used to be a village in the valley where our land is. Our 230 year old farm house is the last remaining building. All the rest are gone to fire and the decay of time. Without people to take care of them, structures fall down. We find bricks, foundation stones, apple trees and the like as memories of the settlers who cleared the entire valley of trees and farmed sheep here long ago.

In this tiny piece of pottery I see the eye of a king, the edge of his crown, his ear, his mustache curl and tip of his scepter. What do you see?

Outdoors: 79°F/53°F Sunny

Daily Spark: Phones with built in static and fence clicking are great for getting rid of sales calls. “Huh? Can’t hear you!” Of course, I would never do this to an innocent telemarketer… Do you know of any?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Pottery Shard

1. Marie says:

My dog and I find many shards like this on our property, too. When I look at them, I think of the farm wife who must have prized this piece of flow-blue pottery, and all the family dinners that might have been served on it. Was it part of her wedding china? Did she weep when it broke? Or was it discarded in the trash pile whole, and replaced with something “modern” in her kitchen?

Who can say?

2. Susan Lea says:

I love finding bits and pieces around our farm, but have never found anything as pretty as your shard. I don’t know about you, but I keep mine! We used to vacation on a family ranch in West Texas and several of the abandoned residences had old garbage heaps where they threw out broken china. We also lived in France for 11 years and found old china that people threw in empty canals. Over the years I’ve collected lots of beautiful china chips and bits of old colored glass. Being a bit OCD, I kept them separate. :) A few years ago I made a mosaic counter top for a storage piece using chips of china from both Texas and France. I was amazed to find several chips with the same bluebird–some from West Texas and some from Provence! That must have been a popular pattern! When we moved from that house I brought my little countertop along to find a place to use it here. I put too much of myself in it to leave it behind.

• Susan Lea, I love the counter top idea. What a great use of the shards.

Marie, like you I wonder about what happened that led to this little bit of history we find in the ground. Near where Will found that shard I had previously found some hand made bricks.

3. Monica says:

I love your blog.

4. Jessie says:

Monica — I concur!

5. Nance says:

A hundred . . . or maybe a 150 yrs later . . . pottery and dishes were thrown away in Missouri.

I pick up shards of pottery and throw them under the front porch so as to save them. I cherish them as they were once someone’s prized Sunday dinner dishes or the “good” china. I imagine the lady of the house lamenting the loss of that plate or platter when it cracked and broke.

6. Zach says:

I often found shards like these anywhere I dig on my parents farm. Found a nice big Canadian copper penny from 1919 whilee digging a garden last summer.

7. Arby says:

Neat little piece of history. What a fun find. I bet you incorporate that into your homeschooling!

8. Ryan says:

Eyeronic that no one saw the ear, mouth, and eye. Maybe that is why this shard is sad?