Linked In – Italian Sausage

Sugar Mountain Farm Hot Italian Pork Sausage

We have sausage! In the past the butcher’s we have worked with have not had the equipment to do real sausage. They called it sausage but it was really just spiced ground meat in bulk packages. To me sausage means links in a natural casing, or at least patties. Of course, one can take ground pork and make sausage at home but we have had many requests from customers and stores for linked sausage so it is gratifying to finally be able to offer it. Plus I like it.

Sugar Mountain Farm Sweet Italian Pork Sausage

This morning Holly and Will drove down to the butcher and picked up our first two batches of sausage so guess what we had for dinner. Yes indeed! Scrambled eggs, German style potato salad and fried sausage. I realized it has been a very long time since I have had sausage. I stopped buying it in the stores back in the 1990’s because I didn’t like all the extra stuff like MSG, high fructose corn syrup and other junk that showed up in so many sausages.

Several years ago we started getting hot dogs made of our pastured pork using our own formulation with maple syrup. Just the good stuff. NoWeirdStuff at all. Follow that link to understand what I’m talking about. Notice the ingredients on the label. Short and Sweet.

Hot Italian: Pork, Salt, Red Pepper, Fennel and Paprika

Sweet Italian: Pork, Salt, Fennel, Black Pepper and Sugar

Well now we’re one step further with making linked sausage. Tomorrow the first two batches, already sold out, will be delivered to fine stores and restaurants throughout Vermont. Check out:

If your favorite local store in Vermont isn’t on that list tell them to contact me about carrying the sausages. For our delivery route see this post.

Now that we’ve gotten the formulation, labeling and everything down for these sausages I look forward to being able to offer the sausage almost every week through the stores along our delivery route. Later we’ll add additional types such as maple breakfast sausage. I would be interested to know what your favorite sausages are, whether you’re local to our area or not. Leave suggestions in the comments.

Next week we’ll be getting our next batch of hot dogs back from the smokehouse just in time for the Fourth of July. I’m looking forward to that as I love them over a bonfire at our upper pond!

Also see: our other sausages.

Outdoors: 73°F/53°F Partially Sunny

Daily Spark: Cheap Karma is when you can do something good for someone that costs you nothing. Spend it freely.

Tinker, Tailor…

14 Responses to Linked In – Italian Sausage

1. Your packaging looks fantastic ! Your product so fresh and appetizing. Cool dude !

2. anna says:

walter i dont see any outlets in montpelier! how am i going to get my fix of your fab piggy pork???? i usually get your meat at hunger mountain but recently cant find it. are they still carrying it? if not there where is the closest place? i cant wait to try your sausage and am really looking forward to getting more hot dogs. how is your butcher shop coming?

• Hunger Mountain didn’t order sausage this week but maybe they will in the future. They said they’re already carrying enough brands. I don’t know if any of those are local and all natural pork – something to check. If you ask at the meat counter for our sausage they can special order for you. You can also special order other cuts as well. The stores often only carry the high on the hog commercial type cuts like pork chops, tenderloin, sirloin, ground, etc. Other things that are great eating include:

Back fat – great for rendering to lard and making cracklin’

Hocks & trotters – wonderful for sups and stews

Fresh Bellies – also known as side pork which is uncured bacon and delicious

Organs – liver, heart, kidneys

See this Pork Cut Chart for adventurous cooking ideas and ask at the meat counter to special order.

Cheers,

-Walter

3. Diane N. says:

Favorite sausages: besides those two you’re making now, bratwurst and andouille. Our farm co-op has those and they’ve been very good.

4. Pam R says:

Any chance of not hot, sweetener free sausage? As we are right smack on your route, any chance of getting some down here in Mass?

• Definite possibility. Would you want it without any spicing? We can run as small as a 25 lb batch when linked. Essentially there needs to be a certain amount of meat to put it through the press that pushes the meat into the casings. However for a truly plain sausage with no salt, no spice and no sweetening (e.g., no maple syrup, etc) you could go with the ground pork which comes in one pound packages and make patties. Let me know what you’re thinking of.

One small detail is we don’t have a license to deliver into Mass even though we have the slaughter and butchering done in Mass. Isn’t that an irony. The result is you would have to meet us at exit 1 of I-91 to pickup.

5. Nance says:

Will you ship me some hot Italian? Like you, my husband will hardly eat sausage anymore because it is all bland, no taste and too many preservatives.

6. Eric says:

Shucks. I was disappointed not to have anything near me. Arent you delivering down to the WRJ Lebanon area? I had seen before it was along your route.

• Eric, Dan & Whits in Norwich, Vermont is the closest to you that we delivered sausage to this week and they may still have hot dogs, if not then hopefully again next week with the next batch. If there are other stores you shop at let them know they can order wholesale from us. The sausage and hot dogs are both freezer case items which helps small stores. The Upper Valley Coop sometimes carries our meat and now that The Hanover Coop has a store in WRJ we may sell there as well. I have not yet talked with their meat manager.

7. Nance says:

My husband can’t find any commercial sausage anymore that he likes. Do you ship to Iowa? I don’t think I’ m on your delivery route!

8. Elizabeth says:

Good to see proper sausage. Our ingredients lists on our sausage are similar! We do a basic pork sausage which reads, “pork, salt, pepper.” LOL! People can’t believe it, nor how good they taste!

9. Matt says:

Hi Walter, thanks for all the good info on the blog. I have a sausage question for you. I have a small herd of pigs that will be heading to butcher in a 2 months. Problem is, one female is about 50 pounds smaller than the rest of the group. I was thinking about saving her and growing her out over the summer, to make whole hog sausage in the fall. Would she do ok by herself in a pen, or should I try to get another pig to grow out with her? Or maybe she will just never reach 400 pounds and I should cut my loss’s on her now. Any suggestions? Thanks

• I would save her back to grow more. Even at 400 lbs she would make excellent cuts so don’t put everything to sausage just because of her size. My favorite cut is Boston Butt Steaks / Country Style Ribs from old sows. Very well marbled, flavorful and tender.

She would be fine by herself but probably also do well with company. That is up to your budget. I would pasture rather than pen her. That cuts down on the feed bill and makes the meat taste better.