Ticks Me Off!

Not My Tick

This is not my tick.
This is not my tick bite.
But I’ll burn and pop it.
I have no sympathy.

Kavi and Lili each brought one home to show me what wonderful things they can find on walk-about. Blach! Interestingly both ticks were on the same spot, just under the left earlobe, on each dog. That’s a bit of Kavi on the end of the tick – I removed vigorously with forceps being sure to get it all. Usually I use a hot match head to make them release but I had forceps for other reasons.

Usually we don’t have ticks. Well, maybe one or two a year. The chickens do a very good job of keeping our pastures clear of the ticks and other insect pests. This is the primary reason we keep so many chickens even though we don’t raise them for meat or eggs. Those are just side bennies.

The dog’s bringing back these ticks when they roam further demonstrates the blood sucking vampires are out there. The fact that we don’t have them closer shows that the chickens are doing their job. Good to know.

Outdoors: 68°F/41°F Light Rain, Overcast

Daily Spark: It is a good thing some people only get 15 minutes! -Holly

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Ticks Me Off!

1. Michelle says:

Oh how I hate ticks! We have them here in western NY, mostly the dog ticks like you showed. Had one on my tonight, yuck! Sort of makes you feel creepy.

2. mellifera says:

Dog ticks can complete their entire life cycle in the comfort of your house.

Doesn’t that just give you the jibblies? Congratulations on keeping them far, far away.

3. Sally says:

Had to comment on Holly’s daily spark- we choose not to have access to cable tv and it has a lot to do with the spark- there isn’t much on most channels that we would choose to watch- most of it is silly, silly people trying to gain or cash in on their 15 minutes. We do miss Discovery, A&E, and my husband longs for the Sci-Fi channel but for the most part Hulu, Netflix, and on-line news outlets take care of us nicely when we feel the need for that sort of contact or entertainment from outside. My 11 year old son is the odd ball in his 5th grade class because of this choice but he also reads far more than any other student and is at the top of his class by quite a bit, the only one to play an instrument and as far as I can tell (I am a special ed teacher in the same school) the only one who can or should be trusted with large animal care, large machinery operation and any sort of project plan development. He doesn’t generally know or care about the latest fad but he can diagnose and help fix a hydraulic leak on our excavator or tractor. This strikes me as a better skill set for a soon-to be adolescent male. Ach- such a windy response to such a pithy spark. Thanks Holly, for getting my brain going this fine morning.

4. Eric says:

Okaaaaayay! That was gross! Thanks for reminding me to wear tight fitting clots in the woods!

5. Brian Heyer says:

I thought they didn’t want us to use a match-head anymore, since it might make the tick barf while still attached. Is that just for humans?

6. Lynne Parker says:

I occasionally find a tick on our black lab/chow mix after he romps through the woods. I have found that food grade diatomaceous earth kills them nicely. I just dust a bit on to the spot and wait a bit. I have also successfully used Young Living brand essential oils lemongrass and peppermint to remove them. One tick backed off the dog before I could even set the bottle of lemongrass down. It hated it.

7. Caryn Roberts says:

I realize your LGD population is down now so you probably aren’t considering selling your pups right now at all, but I wondered 1) if you plan to in the future 2) How much thy sell for 3) how long the waiting list is 4) whether you are willing/able to do a sale with someone in Nebraska.

I have our ‘perfect’ dog right now and it will be a hard sell to find a replacement that fills his shoes. Right now he is only 6 years old and in perfect health, but if you have an 8 year waiting list, I’m thinking I’d like to be put on it if you’re willing.

• Hi Caryn,

It is entirely possible we’ll sell more Livestock Guardian and Herding Dogs (LGDs or LGHDs) in the future. I don’t know when. We don’t tend to have very many litters a year. Or rather I should say it is often years between litters. Molly who was killed by a truck last year was my hopeful for our new incoming female. I was sad to lose her not just as a friend and helper but also because she represented excellent genetics, temperament and intelligence. She loved the work she had learned here on the farm. At this point Lili is our breeding female. She is an excellent lady but there is just one of her and I’m not going to push her body.

In the past dogs have sold for $600 each. That was several years ago and it would be several years more until any would be available. I don’t know what prices will be in the future. It also depends on their level of ability and training.

The waiting list is about 30 people or so but I don’t know how many are really going to be interested at the time dogs become available since everyone’s circumstances change over time. I just keep a list of people who are interested and we’ll see when the time comes. I give favor to situations where the dogs will go to working farms in most cases unless for some reason I think the dog would be better as a pet. That is rare.

People have traveled 1,200 miles to get their dogs. We don’t ship them. I don’t trust the airlines not to leave a dog sitting on the tarmac in the heat or some other issue. It is better for one to make the trip and then we get to meet too.

I’ll add you to the list and may your dog keep you well for many, many years to come.

Cheers,