3,000,000 Page Views

Dandelion Seeds

I just passed three million page views for this blog. Pretty amazing. I’m about to pass 2,000,000 visits so that’s about 1.5 page views per visit. Curious little statistics.

By the way, thank you for all the Dandelion seeds. Due to our altitude we have few and those we have are way behind the ones like this down in the valley. We are planting Dandelions, among other herbs, in our new pastures. In addition to being beautiful to look at and fun to play with Dandelions are excellent fodder for pigs and other animals. They send their tap roots deep into the soil to bring up minerals and water.

Outdoors: 72°F/43°F Sunny

Tinker, Tailor…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to 3,000,000 Page Views

1. ranch101 says:

My husband and his sister were mischievous as kids. There was one neighbor they didn’t like who was very proud of his lawn. So they went around and collected all the dandelion seeds they could find and removed all the fluff. Then they mixed it into a bag of grass seed in his garage…

I like hearing your statistics. Thanks for sharing!

2. Absolutely love the new Word Press blog! Beautiful.
    3,000,000 views is pretty impressive too.

3. Nance says:

I had no idea there was a good use for dandelions — now that my grandmother is no longer on this earth to gather dandelion greens early and young. I almost always learn something here! Do cows and horses eat the dandelions too? and get the good nutrients? (Why don’t cats, dogs, squirrels or rabbits enjoy and eat up all my lawn dandelions?)

• I would think the cows and horses would do well on the Dandelions. Probably rabbits for sure too. Dogs digestion is a little further towards cats (carnivore) than ours but I do see our dogs nibble greens and berries time to time.

4. Sally says:

My Standardbred gelding looovvees dandelions- greens, flowers, doesn’t matter. When I turn him out on new grass that’s usually what he goes for first. My huskies, tho- not so much.
    So glad to be able to satisfy my Sugar Mtn fix again!
    Sal

5. Russ Nellis says:

The new site looks good Walter.
    My Grandma spent half her life trying to eradicate dandelions from her yard and I always wondered why, I always thought they were pretty, then I learned they were beneficial for eating as well. We have lots of them here at our farm in WI and our animals love them. And we eat the young tender greens in our salads. Every herbivore we ever had makes a bee line right for them. I’ve heard they have vitamins too. If I recall correctly, they have vitamin C, perhaps? One of my aunts made dandelion wine and one time a batch blew up under her cupboards. Made a mess. Other than the potential for making messes dandelions are great.

6. jon says:

I like some European names for the dandelion.

Swedish “maskros” worm rose – although a swedish friend always said it was moss rose

Finnish “voikukka” butter flower

Dutch “paardebloem” horse flower

7. mellifera says:

We have a bunch of people specializing in turfgrass (read: golf courses) here at the ol’ agriculture school and it just cracks me up. It’s like somebody woke up one morning and said Hey! I know what would be a really good waste of time. Let’s hire some guys to work full-time coddling and mowing it to 1/4 length so it’s no good for anything– not grazing, not even slowing down rain. They’ll devote maybe 1/3 of their time to killing nutritious edibles.

And the other horrors of trying to maintain a billiard-like green lawn… putting out nematicide pellets that get eaten by birds, so you have to put them pellets out really early in the morning so you can pick up the dead birds before customers arrive. That one’s outlawed now. Anyway, I think what I’m trying to say is, Word to dandelions.

• Elana Silverman says:

You know something? I think you just turned me into an astroturf fan : D

NB – I discovered long ago, if you wanna switch it up a bit hairstyle-wise, Buy A Wig. Even if you’re into pouring carcinogens on your head (lord knows, it’s always been one of my favorites) what other hair experiment is as easy to reverse as it is to regret? And the hair dye wasn’t even killing any birds. That I know of.

8. Jeff says:

Great job on planting the dandelions!
    I am thinking about making a bumper sticker that says:
    “Save the Dandelions and Save the Honey Bee’s”