Goose Eggs

Tablets of Easter Eggs

Keeping with the theme of geese, eggs and piglets this is a basket of a dozen goose eggs. One dozen goose eggs is two liters of scrambled eggs. A giant omlette. Hope and I blew all twelve of the goose eggs, including the one that is missing.

The dozen eggs above are the first of this year. As I write this they’re busy laying more. The geese made their nest of hay on top of a snow bank. This chills the eggs. I was puzzled by this at first but wonder if perhaps they are using this to keep the early eggs they lay cool thus slowing down the development of those eggs. Perhaps this helps to synchronize the hatching of the entire clutch. More than one goose is laying in the same nest and when none of them are on the nest they cover the eggs with hay.

Since we only have female geese there is no possibility of hatching goslings this year – the eggs are all infertile. The goose egg shells are very hard. Even trying to break them, carefully on purpose for holes. I found that strong pressure with a steel needle was the best way to make a hole with the tools I had on hand. To create a larger exit hole I expanded the second needle hole at the other end of the egg using the point of a knife – spinning in the small needle hole. Stirring up the white and yoke helped it exit more equally. A spiral drill bit might have been an even better choice if I was doing a large number of eggs.

One egg in the basket above is not a goose egg. It is an Easter Egg. In addition to the holiday treat, Easter Egg is also a term that means a special feature hidden in a picture, program, operating system or other media. Apple is known for playing this game. There are several Easter Eggs in the image above and I don’t mean yokey or even holiday ones.

Outdoors: 60째F/35째F Sunny
Tiny Cottage: 67째F/61째F

Daily Spark:
What did the spiritual leader say to the candy man?
First my son, you must have good caramel.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Goose Eggs

1. Millie says:

I'm a little worried about how many goslings I'm going to end up with because I missed emptying a nest out. Now she is sitting, and my ganders make sure every egg is fertile. We'll have babies about the first of May.

Who's that handsome man inthe photo? Is that Will. He is so grown up!

Get a gander a nd youll be overun with geese. We had them years ago. Very prolific!

3. Mary Ricksen says:

Point out the eggs!
    Interesting those eggs in the basket, except the Easter One, are huge!
    You cooked them all at once?

4. Jason says:

one of your easter eggs is not even an egg at all but an ipad!!!! you got one!

5. Amit says:

Great post.Love to read more.every student must read this blog.
    mba

6. Holly says:

That is Will. He is grown up, very handsome and, unfortunately, also very camera shy. (Sigh) I was happy he was willing to be part of this photo.

-Holly

7. Margret says:

iSee-
    -3 easter eggs
    -11 goose eggs
    -3 apple eggs

8. Eileen says:

I used my goose eggs as seedling planters last year! I took off the top third (carefully), then filled up with dirt and seeds. Very pretty! I think I'll try something more grass-like this year, like wheat berries or chives.

9. That's a great idea. I've heard of people using hen eggs for planting seedlings too but I've never tried it.

10. Beth says:

Goodness, those eggs are HUGE!

"Since we only have female geese there is no possibility of hatching goslings this year – the eggs are all infertile." – Do you mean letting the geese hatch their own goslings, or do you use an incubator for hatching eggs?

11. Since there is no male the eggs won't hatch. They never got fertilized. If we had a gander I would just let the geese do the incubating. With chickens I've done it both ways, using an incubator I built and with just letting the hens do it themselves. We also have bought day old chicks and ducklings from th hatcheries.

12. sheila says:

Wish I live closer. I have a couple of ganders I'd give you.

13. Fertile eggs go "dormant" until the hen/goose sits on them. That's how birds can lay an egg a day for two weeks, and then get them to hatch all at once. Fertile eggs can be kept at room temp for weeks without spoiling.

If a fertile egg gets too cold (and it doesn't even have to be freezing), it will die and never hatch. It will also spoil at room temp. Infertile eggs have the same issues. I don't think your goose was doing anything deliberate in nesting on a snow bank. :)

14. If we were closer, I'd be happy to give you my ill-tempered gandar whose wife recently got eaten by a bobcat. He's quite lonely which makes his general mood even more foul, and I have the gandar bite bruises on my leg to prove it. Suspect your girl geese would cheer him up. I wonder if he would be good in a stew?

Best, Kimberly

15. Kimberly,

Tell the gander that you're thinking of cooking him. I have been amazed at how after I decide to eat a mean animal it all of a sudden starts acting much nicer. They may well detect something in our attitude and wise up. I eat mean people so either way the problem is solved.

Cheers,

-Walter

16. Scott Laird says:

A quick way to blow eggs out:
    First: be a contractor that really likes to buy tools. My wife calls them toys but we were able to reach a happy middle ground by calling them toyals.
    Second: Using a Roto Zip (with a sheet rock cutting bit) cut a hole in both ends of the egg. The Roto Zip spins around 10,000 so a sharp bit will make a nice hole even in a hard shell.
    Third: This is by far the trickiest part, using your air compressor carefully blow air into one side of the egg. Have a large bowel waiting on the blow out side to catch instant scrabbled eggs. Be careful to keep the air volume low or the egg WILL explode in you hand!
    Good luck