Pig Eggs

Pig Hatching

Most people think of pigs as mammals like perhaps elephants or hippos since they have hair and nurse their young but actually they are more closely related to marsupials like the platypus laying eggs in sandy nests much like lizards and crocodiles. Both the sows and boars guard the communal nests from predators. This varies from mammal reproduction. After hatching the sows nurse the young with specialized sweat glands similar to the way that mammals care for their young. This and the number of teats is why we don’t milk pigs.

When laid the eggs are quite leathery but they quickly harden to a very tough shell that is prized by Fabergé fans. Where as traditional bird eggs have a very small pore structure the pig eggs have a larger pore and thicker shell to deal with the higher metabolism of the pigs. Pigs are born with much stronger kicking muscles and “wolf” teeth to help them break out o the tough shells.

Outdoors: 59°F/29°F Partially Sunny

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Pig Eggs

1. Mary Ricksen says:

I heard they are hatched from the egg they have vestigial wings, and the momma pigs bite them off before they can grow.
    Interesting!

Can you blow pig eggs like chicken eggs for easter decorating?

3. BFW says:

I bet these are awesome scrambled with some bacon!

4. Ann says:

Finally! Bacon and Eggs All in One Package!

5. heyercapital says:

Hopefully you have just permanently screwed up school kids who rely only on Google for their biology reports on piglets.

I know this is off-topic, but I remember you posting a code a while back that allows you to re-route an URL or something?

Like you have (lets just imagine) MMSJSK.KJS.com, but you want it to be easy for your customers to remember, so you tell them to type "MMSJSK.com" in, and it redirects to the longer version??

Am I crazy? If I'm truly not losing my mind, I would love to be directed to that post again. :)
    Thanks.

By the way, nice photoshop skills. ;)

8. Ryan says:

pork4kids.com doesn't talk about that they say pigs produce as much milk as a cow. I think you are trying to pull a fast one on us.

I would have believed you if you finally wised up and are going to add a large barn to increase your yield to match that of other pork producers. Maybe next year.

9. Anna says:

Reading this on April 2 with sleep-blurry eyes, I completely believed you for one sentence…despite being a biology major. How said is that? :-)

10. Missus says:

Before my coffee: Well, we've raised piglets but I never knew that about how they're born..

After my coffee: Ah, April Fool's, good one!

Do you name your pigs?

When we have two, they're called Left and Right.

So of course when we raise three in a year, we call them Left, Right and Center.

11. Walter, Walter, Walter. Put the camera down and walk away. :)

12. Pam R. says:

Husband wants to know:

What came first, the pig or the egg??

At least now we know where our 2 piglets will come from. LOL

13. Jessica says:

Let's hope your blog posting doesn't get used by a fifth grader for his science report! Funny!

jessyburke88@gmail.com