Sugar Snow

Harp Pegs

We woke to a half inch dusting of snow in the morning and it continued to fall gently all day with just occasional spots of sun. With the snow came more piglets. One sow made a nest in the middle of our cubes of hay. Note where I had intended but she does have a very nice protected space in there. I’m not going to force her to move. In a week or so she’ll go back to the pasture or perhaps the pond level which has several other farrowing groups of about the same age.

Ducks Walking

The ducks have been out and about after their long winter cooped up. They parade down the driveway to the lower pond which is starting to open up. With the fresh snow their tracks were quite visible. The geese joined them down at the pond. We’ve gotten four goose eggs so far, their laying season has started. This morning Hope and I called down six wild geese to the marsh ponds. They had been honking their way north on their migration but when we honked at them they circled around us and then came in to land further up the valley in the beaver ponds. It was a very impressive sight.

Outdoors: 33째F/29째F 1/2″ Snow, Light Flurries, Spots of Sun
Tiny Cottage: 67째F/61째F

Tinker, Tailor…

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Sugar Snow

1. Teresa says:

We've started are goose laying season here in Iowa. It's a race to see if they can hide their nests from me or if they'll get to hatch more this year. I admit, I can't think of anything cuter than a gosling. I love the duckprint picture.

2. Pablo says:

I didn't know humans could call in geese, but then I've suspected you're superhuman for a long time.

3. Gail in Montana says:

Nice photos of the snow. In the first picture, it looks like sleet or very small hail, very pretty. I would love to be there to see the little piglets!!!
    We always have geese in our valley in Montana all year long. Sometimes you see hundreds/maybe even a thousand of them grazing in the grain fields. It's nice to see them flying over our house near the town.
    We have had a very mild March all month long. Sure it gets cold when it's clear at night, but it warms up to the 50's or 60's, even 70 during the day. We are hoping for some rain today if we are lucky. Wonder what April will be like this year. Sure hope it's a wet month!!!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos with us!!!!!

4. The snow was actually very fluffy. The pegs and snow photo is a zoom in of a close up of the snow on the tuning pegs of the piano harp. The harp faces southeast and was already starting to absorb solar energy melting the snow a little. We've had some very clear nights and were doing moon gazing through our telescope. With it being a partial moon we got some great views.

Did the snow melt away in the morning? Are your fields clear yet?

6. The snow lasted all day and we continued to get very light flurries. Old Man Winter isn't quite ready to relax his grip on the mountain lands despite the warm breath of Spring.

7. Michelle says:

I just really like that picture of the duck foot prints in the snow. For some reason it makes me smile, I can sort of picture the ducks waddling along…

8. Pharmc491 says: