Mystery Photo – Pi Day

How Odd

In celebration of Pi Day we have a mystery photo. What could it be? Who created this art? How was it created?

Update: After leaving your ideas in comments go see here to find out more about this, er, artwork.

In case you didn’t know, today was Pi Day at just about 3:09 and 26.536 seconds. Now that we’ve fallen forward one might argue that that isn’t exact enough.

This is the first rain we’ve had in a while. It has been unseasonably warm and pleasantly sunny. I want to send a personal note of thanks to Al Gore for jetting around the world and causing global warming with all his hot air.

Outdoors: 41째F/27째F Rain 1/2″
Tiny Cottage: 68째F/62째F

29 Responses to Mystery Photo – Pi Day

I don't get it those are not circles. Isn't pi for calculating circle things?

2. I hope Al keeps it up.
    I'd like to go from ag zone 5 to maybe zone 7 or 8.
    I keep getting winter die off with my roses and I just can't grow jasmine.
    Not to mention that it sure would be great not to have to cut so much fire wood :-)

3. Hello Walter,
    Photo looks like K9 toe prints in foam insulation.

We had Quiche for dinner. Close enough to Pi
    WannaBEEfarmer

4. dinkleberries says:

lol, yeah, Gore, what a joke, he's good for a laugh if nothing else!!

5. Gail in Montana says:

LOL, Walter!!! Looks like some kind of footprints, but by what animal, or is it vegetable or mineral, ha. Could be pigs or dogs, maybe. Very interesting photo, though!!! We have also been having unseasonably warm weather the last few weeks off and on. Bet we don't get any lilac blooms again this year. The trees bud out and then we get a killing freeze :-( ! I was good at math in school many years ago, but sure can't remember what pi was used for as I've never used any of my math from algebra to trig. As I graduated in '63, been long ago and far away. I agree with Granny, would be nice if our growing zone would change, but I don't think that will happen in our lifetime. When do we get the answer????? Huh Huh Huh, ;-)

Looks like someone wore high heel shoes on pink styrofoam.
    I have a duaghter,I assume it was probably your wifes shoes on a little girls feet, dancing in celibration of PI Day.
    Am I close??
    JDL

Hi Walter- I am the guy from Homesteading Today who was trying to diagnose some sick piglets the other day. You were inferring a possible mineral deficiency…I was hoping to follow up with you on that if you had a brief moment. Thanks! -FJ

8. In the winter we get hay from a farm where I suspect their soils are selenium deficient. This shows up in our pigs as White Muscle Disease a while after weaning unless I feed dirt. Feeding dirt from our farm fixes the problem. I have learned to stash five gallon pails of dirt in the fall for winter pigs and sometimes I use the tractor bucket loader to grab dirt for them if the frost allows. We do not see this in the big pigs – I think this is because they are so large they have reserves that carry them through the winter. During the winter we are up on snow pack so the pigs, especially the little ones, don't have access to our soils. We never see this problem in the warm months when the pigs have access to the soil.

• andy davis says:

Interesting you mention selenium. I’m in New Zealand and apparently our soil has none. I’m thinking of running a couple doezen pigs on a new block of land I’m looking at, any ide’s what could be done to make up for missing selenium in the diet?

9. Mary Ricksen says:

Wouldn't it be safer to just give them the vitamin E and selenium they need by injection? Instead of feeding them dirt that could contain various bacteria, parasites, worms, etc.
    Is that some little bugs on sand?
    Very interesting.

10. Mary says:

My father used to say, "If dirt was dangerous to eat, none of us would be here. . ."

11. During most of the year our animals are down on the dirt of the pastures full of all those wonderful bacteria, grubs, insects and other things. They thrive.

12. The saying goes "when pigs fly" these ones are obviously sky-diving,with parachutes fully open. Some (brown stripes)are wrapped more tightly in satin ribbon to break their falls than the other plain little piggies.

We had tons of rain here in Central Illinois, hope it lessons by the time it gets to you, I've lost my muck boots in the muck mud twice in one day !

13. Valerie says:

I think it looks like seeds from a plant (or the impression left by seeds?), maybe milkweed, or some other kind of seed that has a tail of fluff attached to it. The seeds are embedded in mud/sand? Or maybe homemade paper? That would be a fun art project.

14. Cape Cod Beth says:

I think the picture is something on birch bark. Or – I know, raindrops on a partially dried exterior application of pepto bismol mixed with ground limestone and quick-crete, part of Walter's new experiment!

15. Urban Agrarian says:

Animal print, possibly ferret?

A Photoshop artefact.

I think Urban Agrarian is closest, but my guess is rabbit, or a rodent maybe depending on the scale of the photo.

18. Nance says:

oh, wait, I know, I know! It's pig pie (like cow pie) under a microscope — for Pi Day!

19. Evelyn says:

I think it looks like a photo produced by a microscope. No idea what it is, but it looks like so many of the photos I saw when taking Microbiology.

And… Al Gore would be funny…. if he weren't so dangerous! He's an Environmental Activist, a classic example. He wants laws passed to change what YOU do. But, there are "very good reasons" that he can't do it. I am an Active Environmentalist. I just do it! I hope that others will see & be persuaded. But, it's more important for me to do it than to force others.

20. Evelyn says:

21. Joel says:

Pink rigid insulation that has been outside in the weather. Can't make out the print.

22. Joel says:

Pink rigid insulation that has been outside in the weather. Can't make out the print but methinks it's probably porcine. Nice weather today eh? =)

Rigid insulation that had hot (water?) spattered on it?

24. Huios says:

Barbie doll in high heels dancing on a piece of styrofoam???

H

25. Great responses and a lot of them are close, often with part of the answer. After leaving your ideas in comments go see here to find out more about this, er, artwork.

26. val/sue depeyster says:

i go with the styrofoam
    but as for what’s on it…
    maybe insect eggs/ larvae?