White Mountains

White Mountains from New High Ridge Field

I’m working on identifying exactly which mountains these are which lie to the east of us looking down the valley across West Topsham, VT. They are located deep into New Hampshire. We can clearly see them from the new high ridge fields where Holly and I hiked up on Sunday. I think that Mt. Blue and Mt. Moosilauke are in the middle.

Outdoors: 33째F/19째F Mostly Cloudy, Light Snow
Tiny Cottage: 68째F/61째F

9 Responses to White Mountains

1. Dan says:

Nice photo! I have suspected it was Moosilauke we were seeing from our place on the East side, but I'm not entirely sure. It only shows up on a clear day, and we can see only see the very top of the mountain. There are three pretty distinct peaks.

2. Gail in Montana says:

What a pretty photo, Walter. It was sure worth your time and energy for you two to hike up there. What a view. We live in a valley in Montana surrounded by Montains. When Lewis and Clark got here and climbed up and looked toward what is now Idaho, all they could see what mountains for as far as their eyes could see. We are about 15 miles from Idaho as the crow flies, but about 30 via Hwy 12. This is our beautiful retirement location we are blessed to be in!!! Thanks for sharing your view from a mountain top!!

Looking ESE from your location you will be seeing Mt Moosilauke at 4802' and directly in front of it Mt Clough at 3561'. The peak of Mt. Blue will be to the NE of Moosilauke at 4529'. The peak to the south of Moosilauke is aptly named South Peak at 4523'.

4. Anna says:

This is off topic, but I have a question for you. We've been clearing brush out of the hillside powerline cut above our house, which got me thinking about pasture. My original plan was to put our first pasture in the powerline cut in the floodplain — it can get swampy, but at least it's flat. But as I worked, I remembered seeing all of your hillside pictures.

So, to make a long question short — how steep do you think is too steep for a pig pasture? (Assuming that you rotate them through several pastures so that they don't get a chance to decimate it.)

5. Anna,

I don't know the pitches exactly. Some of the pastures are fairly steep, challenging hikes, over 45째. Most are a lot flatter but still with slope. The main problem with overly steep areas is if sows pick them for farrowing as the piglets can end up tumbling down the mountain. For farrowing brushy more level areas, still with a bit of slope, are better. Some slope helps as it prevents puddling which can also be a problem for farrowing.

-Walter

6. lisa says:

Nice photo. I climbed Moosilauke last summer. It has such an amazing view from the summit. I wonder if I saw you!!! If you are not far from there, you are not far from S-wood!

7. We're North West of Mt. Moosilauke and you could well have seen us. In the winter our top would be frosted due to the ice damage of 1998 when we lost 150 acres of sugar maple trees. Our new fields would be visible this year as they're up along the ridge and facing Moosilauke.

I'm not sure what S-wood stands for…?

8. Lisa says:

I live about 20 minutes SE from Moosilauke and S-wood stands for Shmoopywood which is our blog and our home :).
    We climbed Moosilauke in the peak of the foliage and it was astonishing.

9. tiffany says: