Fishercat Tracks

Fisher Cat Tracks Perhaps

I think these are Fishercat tracks. We’ve been seeing one skulking around the area where I spotted the tracks in the light morning snow. The tracks are quite a bit big for a weasel at around an inch and a half across. In fact, that’s big for a fishercat too. The tracks are rather round, lacking any heel. If the Fisher will kill off the porcupine’s I would be ever so greatful. I’m not fond of my prickly nemesis.

Outdoors: 23째F/9째F Sunny
Tiny Cottage: 67째F/58째F

15 Responses to Fishercat Tracks

1. Vera says:

Hi, just popping on by and paying your blog a visit. Loved it. We are in SW France, trying to become established as smallholders, meanwhile living in caravans while our house is being got back from its ruinous state. Will be visiting again.

2. LJB says:

How do the porcupines bother you? I am particularly fond of them. However I don't have dogs from whose snouts I might need to pull quills…

3. LJB, the porcupines viciously and unprovokedly attack our dogs inserting sharp needles into their muzzles and elsewhere. Totally uncalled for as the dogs just want to be friends. Right? That's what the dogs tell me but I have not heard the porcupine's side of the story.

Also the porcupines damage trees by girdling them killing off their tops.

In all seriousness, porcupines must smell increadibly yummy because some of the dogs keep going for them. It seems to be a macho thing – they do it when out as a group and it seems to be to show off based on who gets quilled. Sadly it has resulted in the death of one of our dogs.

Hedgehogs are cuter. :) And the quills don't come out so easily so their better for petting…

4. Oh, and the other thing the porcupines do is chew through things. Doors. Walls. Tool handles. Sugaring equipment. Gates. Foundation beams. Some of this is looking for salt but sometimes it is things that wouldn't have any salt on them so it is rather strange.

5. Michelle says:

Hi Walter!
    I have a use for porcupines, their quills (with the barb removed) make neat jewelry! The store I work in sells earrings made of quills with beads, rather Native American looking, and they are neat. I've also heard they can be used for decorative work on leather.

Since I've never encountered one I'm not sure if the use of their quills makes up for the nemesis to a dog. I'm sure one of mine would have a poked nose too!

6. I've heard of the quills being used for beads. I've collected them out of the dogs and been tempted to try beading with them but never got around to it. I was saving them for a while. They are hollow.

7. David says:

I understand that porcupine is a very fine roast meat, if you scrape the small of the back and hind leg fat to remove "scented" areas. Of course, skinning is best done with a long knife and long needle-nosed pliers. Also, like possum (don't know if you have those in Vermont), cook on a grill, because there will be a lot of drippings. I've done possum, but have the porcupine lore on hearsay.

Hi Walter. Not to be distracted from the perilous porky and his cat friend but I notice your two statistic things don't match by a long ways. One says 1.6 million visitors and the other over 1.7 million visitors (WOW!). Why the difference?

9. Not sure of why the difference. Neither agrees with my web server which has an even higher count. It could be that one or the other is ignoring certain traffic or maybe their servers are down sometimes and missing traffic.

Cheers,

-Walter

10. Ditto on the porky problems. We have had run ins with our sled dogs using the same trail as the porkies. However, this fall, our Dexter cow ended up with a nose full around feeding time. A porkie must have strolled through the fenced area. We were just happy it didn't get our bull. Those would have been a tad harder to pull out.

11. Michelle says:

OK, I'm very curious David…what does a possum taste like? (LOL, please don't say chicken!) We have lots of them in my area, they have such incredibly ugly faces that it makes me think they'd taste sour!

Could be a martin track also. If you put a little bait out, and feel like buying a game camera you could find out. I wouldn't be suprised if you had some bobcat running around your neck of the woods…See ya, Chris

13. Nance says:

I know porcupines and weasels and polecats and skunks. Muskrats and beaver. But I've never heard of Fishercats before. I had to look them up! Not very pretty creatures, are they?

14. David says:

Michelle, I assure you that possum does not taste anything like chicken. It is rich, even baked free of its incredible fat load, and unique, like nothing else. Some caveats: my father taught me to skin them underwater, because if you smell them whilst skinning, you will be unable to eat them. He was right. Also, possums are completely indescriminate in what they eat (that is a polite phrasing) and I have always kept them caged, on cornmeal and apples, for a couple of weeks to "clean 'em out" before slaughter, and to observe for illness. I would use gloves, and caution while cleaning. They have been known to carry lupus in recent years. That said, they are good food and there are worse ways to cook up sweet potatoes or yams than with a 'possum.

David

15. Carolyn says:

David-

Interesting info on possum. But a point…lupus is an autoimmune disease in humans. It cannot be passed from person to person or animal to person. Are you using the term lupus to signify a contagious virus, bacteria, or parasite?