Free Dog Molly

Molly Fully Trained

Molly came to us this past winter. She was a lucky dog. One of those “good news, bad news” stories. Before she came here she had never been a free dog, able to run as she liked. Over the past nine months she learned and earned her rank as a free dog, a livestock guardian and herding dog. As of about a month ago she began being totally free, day and night, guarding our pigs, chickens, ducks and other animals. Molly was almost ten years old when she came to our farm, had never met livestock before and conclusively proved that you can teach an old dog new tricks.

I will miss Molly. She died today.

Outdoors: 31째F/19째F Snowy
Tiny Cottage: 65째F/61째F 2 Logs

20 Responses to Free Dog Molly

1. anita says:

AWWW, soo sad.

2. Michelle says:

Walter, I'm very sorry to hear about Mollys death. It's always tough to lose a dog. But she had a good life on your farm!

3. Mary Paddock says:

Oh Walter, I am so very sorry. I remember reading her success story and being so very impressed with what you both accomplished.

4. Gaile says:

oh, i am so sorry to hear your lovely dog died. How sweet that you took her in and gave her a life she could love. i'm sorry for your loss.

5. Mary Ricksen says:

Sorry to hear about Molly, losing a dog is like losing a friend.

6. Nance says:

Ahhhhh. Thanks for telling us about Molly. She got her wings . . . then went to heaven.

7. Gai in Montana says:

Walter, I am so sorry about the loss of your Molly. She looked like a wonderful dog and I love the story about her. I'm so glad you have those wonderful messages to treasure. We have lost many animals thru the years, it doesn't get any easier. We also have a Molly, our Brittiany. She is three. She has a doxie and a yorkie/affenpincher mix for companions. Glad you have your new pup to raise. How is she doing?

8. oshea12566 says:

Sorry for your loss pal.

9. Heidi says:

I am so sorry for your loss; she was lucky to find you and, even if only for a short time, be given a chance to know how a dogs life should be.

Sad news. How is the rest of the canine pack taking it?

11. Elizabeth says:

Dear Walter and Family,

I am so sad about Molly she was a beautiful dog, I know she has a very special place in your heart. I am so glad that Molly got to spend the rest of her days with you and your family.

12. J Biegeleisen says:

I am so very sorry about your loss of Molly. In years past we have taken in older cats that we then lost after a short time. What a joy they each were to our lives while we had them. Bless you for freeing Molly.

13. I'm so sorry for your loss. There is nothing like a good dog.

14. Farmer Cat says:

It is always sad when a good friend dies. Whether they have 2 legs or 4, doesn't much matter to our hearts. Molly had a much better life with you and your family on your farm than she would have otherwise.

I'm sorry that you lost your friend, but I know that you made her life worth living, and THAT is a wonderful, wonderful thing.

15. ~annie says:

So sorry to hear this. I'm glad Molly had a good year with you, though.

16. Holly says:

I think that this is the only post Walter has written that made me cry. Thank you, friends, for all your kind words. They do help. It is good to be reminded that Molly really did come to love her life here with her "new" family. Kavi misses his buddy and asks for lots of pets. Katya is very puppy and wonderful. Snuggles from all the dogs help.

17. Mayank says:

keep up the good work !
    I will comeback soon to read more articles !

18. DJK says:

I think I get more sad with dogs that were good companions/workers die than when humans do.

I read this post…and it choked me up.

It looks like you gave her a good life and in turn she worked well for you. She lived a good life.

19. Several people have asked how Molly died. Sadly a visitor ran her over in our driveway. That isn't related though to her developing skills and they didn't mean to hit her. They had parked and all of a sudden shot forward hitting her. This broke her leg and I think severed the femoral artery. She died in my arms as I carried her up to the cottage.

20. Johan van der Merwe says:

I also drove accidentally over one of my young Jack Russell’s, not a good feeling.The fact is dogs always give you unconditional friendship. Sad to hear about your dog.