Katya Teeth

Sitting Pretty

I take Lili and Katya for walks such as checking fence lines and hay in the south field, what we were doing this glorious morning. The upper pond was half glazed over with a thin film of ice. By noon it was gone.

Carnivore Katya

Katya is no vegetarian woolf. She’s not interested in the food pyramid containing veggies and fruit. She wants meat and more meat, although she’ll take dairy in a pinch. At five weeks old she has tiny sharp teeth and quickly tears apart her meals of pork and chicken. She loves knawing on bones and frozen meat – it probably feels good on those gums with new ivories coming through. I suspect Lili is relieved to have Katya chewing on something other than her nipples.

This past week Katya began serious play and is becoming well enough coordinated to stalk, pounce and play tug-a-war with a sock or rope. But she hasn’t forgotten her comforts. When she’s tired she’ll crawl up my front and stick her head down my shirt neck wanting to cuddle in where I kept her papoose like as I babysat. Back then she was small enough to easily fit. Now it’s tight.

It is amazing to realize that just a few weeks ago Katya could curl up in the palm of my hand because now she stretches out filling a lap from which she can reach up to bat my face. Katya’s mother Lili was the smallest of her litter of seven topping out at 50 lbs. Her mother Kia was the smallest of her litter of seven at about 55 lbs. Both of them had siblings that were up around 100 lbs and one, Hagrid the half giant dog, that was over that and 7′ long by nine months of age. Katya’s aunt Kita, sister to Kia and Hagrid, was another very big dog. I suspect that Katya’s going to the super sized model given her early size and no competition for food.

Outdoors: 61째F/26째F Sunny
Tiny Cottage: 65째F/51째F

Tinker, Tailor…

11 Responses to Katya Teeth

1. Five weeks old ?!? Where does the time go ? I trust you are keeping her scrapbook up to date and have already saved her footprints in a clay ashtray. She's not just your puppy you know. She belongs to the cyber world !

2. Gail in Montana says:

Wow, Walter, she sure is growing fast!!! Going to be a pretty lady. What a life she lives on your farm!!! Thanks for sharing pictures of her as she grows. Have a great week.

3. Mary Paddock says:

Katya is lovely. Is she as serious-minded as she looks? Most of the time I am not anxious to take on another puppy, probably because my nearest and dearest canine, Solomon (who is one of five dogs), is elderly and suffering from a degenerative disease and the prospect of balancing his needs against a puppy is a bit daunting. But then I see pictures like Katya's and get misty-eyed about it all. The puppy curled up in the rocker beside me while I nursed my youngest and all that. And I think, well, maybe . . .

4. Mary Ricksen says:

Are they all wolf? Clearly fantastic animals. My German Shepherd is about 125 so I know what you mean about getting in your lap.
    I used to carry him with his head over my shoulder and he doesn't understand why I can't pick him up to do it anymore.
    Your blog reminds me of my home Vermont, where my fondest memories were on the farm.

5. Mary,

Of the genetics that we know they have a smidgen of German Shepherd and a smidgen of Black Labrador. The rest is "Other".

There was some genetics research back in 1992 or 1995 that showed that all the dog family is closely related and they were reclassifying it such that Canis Lupis (Wolf) and Canis Domesticus (Dog) are simply different breeds of the same species – like Lab and Shepherd are different breeds. The other interesting thing that remapping of the species and breeds said was that there were breeds of dogs that are closer to wolves than other breeds are to other dogs.

It was a rather interesting article. It would be fascinating to know what they can find out now with the genome mapping.

What really matters is they have the temperament, body form, fur and intelligence to work here on the farm in our climate. They love working with the animals and the cold. We keep our house pretty cool but they think it is too hot. They'll come in for a short visit in the winter and then want to go back outside where it is more comfortable.

There was some research in Yellow Stone Park about wolves protecting the young of elk. It made us think about how our dogs work the livestock, protecting them from predators. Wolves/Dogs are natural livestock farmers, protecting their charges, marking out a territory, keeping predators at bay, culling the weak and unfit. In the process they improve the genetics of their 'livestock' as they weed out the culls. Just like human farmers.

Cheers,

-Walter

6. Pablo says:

She's getting huge! My pup Flike is only about 10 weeks, but he's probably close to 20 pounds now. Great galumphing galoot with huge paws.

7. Dave in Mass says:

I love big dogs. We have two and they are the greatest helpers to have around our little farmstead. They let me know when someones arriving and keep the coydogs away. My neighbor lost sheep this summer but we have been fine and I think the difference is we have dogs so the coys stay away.

I would be very curious to know her shoulder height and weight. How big was she when she was born?

8. garfish says:

Good morning Walter and Family,

I've lived vicariously through your website for quite some time now. Some things are universal and one of those things is that puppies grow way too fast.

Was wondering if you could footnote or reference the article about the wolves protecting elk young in Yellowstone.

9. I think I saw it in Smithsonian magazine, the paper copy. Googling now I don't seem to be hitting the right keywords. My memory is that they were discussing how the reintroduced wolves were killing off the smaller predators around the calving areas. Apparently at first there was a drop in population as the wolves culled the older less fit animals and then there was an increase in survival of calves (fawns?).

10. Gail says:

That is the most amazing photo of her by the pond. It looks like it should be on a dog calendar!

11. Katya wieghed about 0.35 lbs when she was born and now weights 6.26 lbs. This is a weight gain of 0.168 lbs per day averaged out over that period.