Hair Cut & Hiney Flu

Ben Getting Shorn

Home haircuts are what I grew up with and I was mildly surprised when I first learned that people went to a barber and actually paid good money to lose their locks. Ben here is getting a trim while reading Jules Verne’s “Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea” on Will’s iPod Touch.

In a small cottage like ours it is wonderful that we’re able to have all our music, classic games like Monopoly and many books in digital form on the computer instead of having to stick the physical media in the disk drive, phonograph or victrola to enjoy it.

Technology certainly has changed since the early days of portable music like player pianos. iTunes and eMusic.com downloads have no loss of experience. The same would be for movies if we had those although our internet connection is too slow for serious streaming. We can now get YouTube which uses a limited bandwidth.

With books I had wondered if I would miss the feeling of handling paper, the smell, the crack of the spine as the book breaks and the pages fall out, but I don’t. A great many books are now available free out of copyright from Project Guttenberg and other sources including within many Apps. Amazon and others are bringing new books out in digital formats although I’ve not tried that yet. We also have a few audio books including the Harry Potter series which have gotten some serious listening. Still, I keep buying physical books and expect to for a while, adding to my approximately 5,000 volumes. And no, we don’t have room for more than a few in the tiny cottage, there’s the rub.

Someone had asked what my engineering references were for designing the cottage, greenhouse, our Big Project and other things. I have a bookcases full, most of which are now in boxes as we don’t have the room for them. What I find myself referencing the most now a days is simply the Internet. I can find spanning tables, formulas and materials specifications across the web. Much of it is university or military research. One of the nice things about our government is they do publish a lot of data. All hail the Army Corp of Engineers. A lot of interest research came out of war preparations.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the iPod Touch of regulations and other government documents which widely available in PDF form. For that task, closely related to our Big Project, I find that GoodReader is an excellent tool for viewing PDFs, JPGs, text and other files.

The digital future is fun. The world is at our finger tips. I don’t rely on technology (e.g., we just had a lightning storm so we were unplugged) but it definitely expands our options while it is there. For people like us who live way out from going the long distance into town to the library is a major production and even then the library is small and limited. Having access to things over the internet is a blessing, one I wish I had when I was a child. I’m glad we have the connection here at the end of the line.

Speaking of staying at home, I was on the phone with a bank official yesterday. She told me that half her staff was out sick and that there had been very few customers in that week. She suspect that the lull had to due with people getting hit by the flu. In the newspaper we read that 20% of students at the local school were out sick with the flu. With President Obama declaring it a National Emergency it is a good time to stay home.

I interviewed some local pigs about the flu and they were quite concerned. They said, and I quote, “There need to be severe travel restrictions and quarantines on these humans because they are running all over the countryside and even around the world spreading this possibly deadly disease.”

Dr. Archimedes PhG, a leading authority on human zoonosis, went on to say, “As a boar I am very concerned that humans might spread this disease to pigs. It could be disastrous if our piglets came down with this new human Hiney Flu which we technically refer to as H1N1/A. While it used to be that the disease was contained to the human population it has now been shown that irresponsible domestic humans can spread it to pig and turkey people. We need to take drastic measures.”

Several pigs wanted to know why the One World Government had insisted on stopping testing for H1N1/A in patients. Government officials said that it didn’t matter since the treatment would be the same either way but the chickens and geese questioned how could people know if they should get the vaccine after they’ve had the flu if they didn’t know if it was seasonal flu or Hiney Flu. The ass pointed out that this uncertainty will stretch the limited supply of Hiney vaccine driving up demand and prices.

The CDC is reporting that there are 1,000 laboratory confirmed H1N1 deaths in the USA since April of 2009 but WHO reports that the worldwide deaths are at 4,999. Some pigs including statistician Petra Pig questioned the WHO’s reported figures pointing out, “This is one of many highly suspicious numbers in news reports and government press releases. I mean think about it, if there are 1,000 deaths in the USA which has 5% of the world population and a reasonably good health care system then worldwide there should be 20,000 to 90,000 deaths. It isn’t just the precision of a number like 4,999 which exceeds the accuracy of the sampling that makes me worry. What makes my ears twitch is the fact that it just doesn’t fit statistical curves. I think someone may be fudging numbers. This raises the spector of FUD. The question is why and who benefits?”

When asked about possible profiteering related to the Hiney Flu Dr. Archimedes was cagey saying that there would be an investigation as to wheither certain parties in the government are pushing the vaccination program for private reasons of greed. He said that it was hard to believe that those in power would create artificial shortages and mandatory government vaccination programs that would benefit a few corporate interests and possibly kill some citizens. “As always we must balance the benefits and risks. Everything is a gamble and there will be some winners and some losers.”

I asked if Dr. Archimedes if he was suggesting depopulation would be necessary as proposed by the GAO and USDA? He assured me that things were not that far along, yet. He went on to say that “Nobody is suggesting we should depopulate the humans but a quarantine is definitely in order.” He did mention that if depopulation beca
me necessary there would be some form of token compensation which has already been budgeted.

The consensus among the pigs interviewed was to avoid kissing strange people, wash your feet and stay out of large gatherings of humans. Face masks were also recommended. Anyone feeling sick should politely cough into their elbow and kiss their hiney good-bye.

This is virtual-reporter WJ signing off from WXSMF-TV.

Outdoors: 54째F/42째F 2″ Rain heavy at times, some lightning & thunder
Tiny Cottage: 66째F/57째F

Disclaimer: I am not a reporter and I don’t play one on TV. I own no stock in any pharmaceutical companies, TV stations, politicians and what stock I had in our government is shot to heck and spent during the bailouts. All my stock is out grazing on my other asset. However, I can do the math at least as well as a pig. It leaves me wondering time and again.

Tinker, Tailor…

17 Responses to Hair Cut & Hiney Flu

1. Mary Paddock says:

I sure appreciate the interview with the pigs, Walter. Dr. Archimedes is so well informed! I've been pondering the huge vaccination push we've been hearing on the radio (we don't have television the way most folks understand it, but I imagine they're doing the same there). It "feels" suspicious, like there's an ulterior motive, but then I have an active imagination.

2. Mellifera says:

My mom is a nurse at a pediatrician's office. They had a kid come in with a plain old fever, aches, etc associated with flu. The test showed it was the H1N1 strain.

It's a good thing the test took a while to come back, because in the 90 minutes the kid was there he went from "yucky flu" to nearly dead. His lungs filled up with fluid and he couldn't get any oxygen, so it's a damn good thing he happened to be in a doctor's office at the time.

I have to admit I get annoyed with "the guvmint's just trying to cause panic for X reason" line of logic. Imagine the same scenario, only the guvmint was telling people to stay calm because in many respects H1N1 is just a bad case of flu (which it is, generally). Then they'd still be evil, only then it would be 'cause they're tryin' to lull us all into a false sense of security for some other nefarious purpose. Making a killing on the estate taxes, I suppose.

Finally, numbers on disease incidence of any kind outside of highly developed countries are always suspect. It's lack of resources and organization- you know, the same reasons their kids are still dying of diarrhea. Fishy numbers aren't necessarily a sign of conspiracy, unless you count poverty and the lack of rule of law as part of the cabal.

3. Mellifera says:

Reading the post over again raised me a couple more questions.

-The WHO is probably drastically underreporting H1N1 deaths (probably because they're going by cases where somebody died, they had tested positive for H1N1, and when they died it got written down and forwarded to the WHO, instead of just taking US deaths and extrapolating upwards)… and this drastic underestimation of deaths is supposed to cause panic? It doesn't follow.

-Mandatory vaccinations? Where in the United States has this occurred (for H1N1 or any other disease since smallpox or polio)? Far from being mandatory, the vaccine is a pain to get ahold of if you want it- you have to go out of your way to get to the right clinic and set yourself up with a shot- so this again I don't follow.

That's enough out of me for the evening….

4. Grandma says:

Wonderful interview, you should make it a weekly highlight on your blog. As always keep up the good work.

5. Aye, I've talked about this with my parents and sister who are all family physicians. On the one hand the government is declaring a national emergency on the other hand they say it is just like normal flu or not even as bad. I tallied up the deaths since April, 2009 which were 1,000 and compare that with the annual seasonal flu deaths and it is one more case where the number's don't add up to what the government is saying. They say panic, don't panic. My best guess is we're faced with a hydra, which is typical of government, where the many heads don't know what the others are doing. On top of that there are some with profit driven motives. Click through to the links.

As to the mandatory vaccine, again, click through to the links that I provided. In the state of Texas they went through this recently, complete with corruption and profiteering. Interesting reading about how our government works.

6. Gail in Montana says:

LOL, Walter!! I loved your coversations with the pigs, and I agree with them. I know at least 3 people who have had the H1N1 flu, and I'm only 1 person in a large state with a small population. Multiply that by millions, what does that tell us. As usual, corporate greed and government inability to accurately access situations is driving the reporting of cases.
    Mellifera makes a good point. Thank God that kid was in the doctor's office.
    As for the haircuts, I used to give my kids their haircuts when they were little. I even cut my own hair from the time I was a teenager until my 30's. Unfortunately, as we age we aren't able to do those things anymore, er maybe that's a good thing, lol. Great post today, I enjoyed it, even if it was on a scary subject. Good job!!

7. Jaime says:

Love it walt! Expecially our ending line! What bugs me about govermint is that it is is made up of people who see power. Power corrupts and it attracts corrupted people. Sure some are good people but all too many have all too much power and abuse it. Maybe that is what you ment by the many headedness.

8. Mellifera says:

Found this on slate.com.

"So You Think You Have Swine Flu? Am I the only one–besides Michael Fumento–who finds reports like NBC's last night on the spread of swine flu ("galloping its way across the country") to be wildly unconvincing? The NBC piece claims "90 dead" last week under the rubric "swine flu cases." [See about 1:10 in] This is almost certainly BS. As this CDC report makes clear, that figure includes both the swine flu and the regular annual flu. Indeed, NBC promiscuously conflates a) swine flu (H1N1); b) regular flu and c) "flu like symptoms" which may not be any kind of flu at all. … That may be because the CDC itself has decided to conflate at least the first two categories, as noted in this seemingly damning CBS story and confirmed in the CDC report itself:
    This new system was implemented on August 30, 2009, and replaces the weekly report of laboratory confirmed 2009 H1N1-related hospitalizations and deaths that began in April 2009. Jurisdictions can now report to CDC either laboratory confirmed or pneumonia and influenza syndromic-based counts of hospitalizations and deaths resulting from all types or subtypes of influenza, not just those from 2009 H1N1 influenza virus. [E.A.]
    I think this means the CDC does not really know how many cases are swine flu and how many aren't. (The regular flu kills many thousands of people every year.)."

So apparently it's the CDC that's not keeping good count. It's interesting to note that the journalist who wrote this is a liberal.

9. Exactly, the numbers do not add up and there seems to be a lot of fear mongering. When ever I see FUD I suspect greed. I don't really care if their liberals or conservatives. The patterns just don't make sense.

10. Dorra says:

Here is an interesting take on this….. http://www.naturalnews.com/027330_fema_pandemic_H1N1.html They point out that the flu is mild peaked and the Obama response unnecessary. But they also point out that it would be just what the government needs to do if they are worried about a bioterrorism attack.

11. Farmer Cat says:

The flu is alive and well in the Midwest. The big problem is that people are still allowing their children to go to school (well, ours are homeschooled, but you know what I mean). And then they go to organized sports, and spread it around there. The gym where my daughter takes gymnastics (she's a high level gymnast, and has practice everyday, 6 days a week) had 30% of the kids out with "Swine Flu." My kids got sick with flu-like symptoms. Whether they had the flu, the H1N1 flu or just a cold doesn't matter. I kept the kid home for a week and a half. She is the ONLY person in the family that has contact with who a great number of people in the general population…99% of whom go to public school. My husband is a mechanic, and yes, has minimal contact with the public thru their cars, and such. But as the person who infected us, it was the elder child. But because no one kept their kids home when they should have. I've checked the numbers, flu kills a certain number of people every year. H1N1 is no different. What's different is the gov'mint didn't see it coming. Therefore, they have to jump all over it, make it a big huge deal. Yes, the actions of *this* virus are different, but in terms of mortality rate…it isn't.

12. Abbie says:

It is kinda strange how the CDC just denied that there are problems with widespread hiney floo when they were pushing it before and the latest news reports say half the kids are out of school in some areas. I am glad we homeschool and my hubby works from home!

According to the NYT CDC report

->There were 1.8 million to 5.7 million cases of swine flu in the country during the epidemic’s first spring wave, according to a new estimate from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released Thursday.

So in other words they are saying that there were a lot more cases that nobody noticed an the hiney flu, love that name, is not nearly as disasterous as the government have been making out. They have been making a scare. Why? To justify paying billions of dollars to the pharmacutical companies. Billions of our tax dollars. This is a coup for the drug companies.

14. Jason Albriche says:

Our sow had ten piglets and ten teats bagged up. We sold two and she still stayed bagged up on all ten teats so obviously piglets do switch around between teats or two of them would have gone down. Im going to wean off four more to sell and see what happens.

15. Debra says:

The CDC is now saying the swine flu I mean hiney flu death toll is at 4,000 up from the 1,000 they had been saying. That is a big jump. They say millions of people have had it. Our family through my son through a friend just got it. Sniffles. Snotty no.ses. He vomitted some. That is all it has been so far after two weeks. Problem is we dont know if this is seasonal flu or hiney swiney flu. So do we risk getting a vaccine that could make us sick or are we already protected. Since the government has rejected doing testing we dont know whether to waste the money and risk on a vaccine. It makes me think the vaccine makers are behind the ''no-test'' policy. They make more money selling vaccines if people dont know if they should not get a vaccine because they already got the disease. As walter says on his blog always follow the money trail.

I saw that the CDC is now saying that swine flu is in decline. Don't panic they now say. Before they said panic. Can't make up their minds.