Plateau Pumpkins!

Striped Hope, Pumpkin and Tiger

While doing our morning walk to check fences and pigs in the south field we discovered that some of the previously panned pathetic plateau pumpkin plants are producing plentiful fruit! In addition to the tons of turnips and beets there appear to be about a hundred pumpkin plants and many pumpkins. This is a surprise because this has been such a wet summer that up until recently we saw little no no growth. There is hope for the garden if we get a nice long fall. No frosts so far…

Hope noted that the pumpkins were striped like her tiger and the tiger suit she had made for herself out of old pajamas. She’s also showing off her Muck boots. I need to write about them. We love ours after years of searching for a rugged all year mud boot.

Outdoors: 76째F/44째F Mostly Sunny, Big Maple down out front
Tiny Cottage: 73째F/61째F

Tinker, Tailor…

10 Responses to Plateau Pumpkins!

1. Michelle says:

Glad to see that someones pumpkins worked out with such a wet summer. Ours rotted in the field, along with the tomatoes. Oh well!

We use Muck boots too, aren't they wonderful? And they are so comfortable to wear. They don't bind your leg at the ankle like a lot of other tall, work boots.

2. Karen says:

I didn't get my winter squash and other warm-season crops planted til a week into June, but I have some gargantuan Hubbards and there are two good sized round pumpkins beginning to turn orange. Lots of long cylindrical pumpkins and kubocha-types coming along. I don't even remember the names of what-all I planted. The weather is starting to cool, I hope they have time to mature before frost. We electric-fenced the garden a week ago after the deer discovered it, but before they did much damage.

I love my Muck boots too! So much more comfortable, warm and durable than the old dairy boots.

Karen B in northern Idaho

hey walter, It's robert in new hampshire. I want to get my farm going natural. I know you get whey for your pigs. What can I use as a Grain substitute that I might be able to get here localy? Or quite possibly get them started on whey. I'm very new to new england So I dont know much about the area and where to get things like this. I grew up on a ranch in az but never was in the natural area and just got out of the army after seven and a half yrs. I really want to make a go of this and do it right. thanks for your help, by the way, any time frame on those puppy's and maybe how much?

4. Robert, check around with local dairies, yogurt makers, cheese makers and the like. I would do a google search. They may have extra whey they need to get rid of as well as the occasional batch of product that isn't up to human consumption standards but makes great pig food. Dairy is an excellent source of lysine and calories, both of which are low on pasture.

As to puppies, we don't have a definitive time frame. There is also a long list of people who've asked. I've added your name to the list. Our dogs don't heat monthly but rather yearly or there about so litters are infrequent. I'll keep everyone posted – watch this space. :)

By the way, check out http://NaturallyGrown.org for info about Certified Naturally Grown.

5. Lina says:

Hi Walter! Great farm blog you got here. We are just starting with our farm so I am sort of blog hopping on farm blogs to learn from the experiences.

Will be back

6. I must know. Did hope draw the stripes on her PJ's on her own or with help from her on site artist mommy.? Either way she looks adorable
    and with the stripes on the pumpkin as well as the tiger, she forms a trio of great lineage.

7. All pajama striping was by Hope. :)

8. Farmer Cat says:

Hope looks so adorable there. Hobbes seems to be ok with hanging over her arm; I'm surprised he hasn't bounced off to hide in the pumpkin patch!

9. We are big fans of Calvin & Hobbes. Ben cut his teeth on cartooning by making his own cartoons of them before he started doing his own strips and this year he wrote a research paper comparing them with their namesakes, philosophers John Calvin and Thomas Hobbes.

10. heyercapital says:

My own daughter devours the treasure trove of Calvin & Hobbes at the library. (She's in 5th grade.) I think in a few years I'll show her the "Bloom County" archive in the basement.