Hot Dogs Are Back!

Hot Dogs Redux

Our acclaimed pastured pork hot dogs are available again just in time for the 4th of July. We had recently run out but yesterday we picked up the latest batch from the smokehouse and they are most delicious. Our wieners are a very fine grind of our Naturally Grown pasture and whey fed pork with a hint of maple syrup. Check out the very short ingredient list on the label below:

All Natural Uncured Smoked Hot Dogs – No Nitrates, No Nitrites

In our last batch of hot dogs we had had a problem such that we got chunks of tendon in some packages of hot dogs. Not good and very disappointing to discover. We spent a lot of time examining packages to find the offending ones once we discovered the problem. The smokehouse blamed the butcher saying that the meat had not been properly cut but also said their own bowl cutter knives, essentially a very large food processor, were dull. Additionally, the smoking didn’t seem quite right, not as rich as the previous batches. Thus it was with some trepidation that we approached this batch. The good news is everything seems to have worked out right this time. The new batch of hot dogs are delicious, smooth both in taste and texture, well smoked, juicy and have a pleasing snap. It takes a lot of pork to make a batch so it isn’t something we can do lightly. Happy hot dog days again!

Note: Since our hot dogs are all natural without preservatives and No Weird Stuff, no nitrites or nitrates you should keep them frozen until you are ready to use them.

Hot Dog Package – 7 Dogs in a Pound

Tomorrow, Thursday, July 2nd, we’ll be delivering frankfurters to the stores listed below in time for July 4th picnics and cookouts. You can guess what we’ll be enjoying at our bonfire!

Sugar Mountain Farm Weekly Delivery Route

If Sugar Mountain Farm pastured pork hot dogs are not yet available where you shop and you’re within Burlington-St.Johnsbury-WRJ triangle of Vermont then ask your store to contact us at walterj@sugarmtnfarm.com about local delivery.

Snug Pigs in a Blanket

For dinner tonight, of course, we must test this latest batch of hot dogs. Fortunately there are some ends, broken pieces, in every batch that must be eaten. So in the name of science we forge forward, cooking and tasting with gusto! How do you ask? Why as pig’s in a blanket of course. What better way to serve all pork hot dogs on a cool, blustery summer day.

Hope Watching Mouse Who’s Just Farrowed

In other news, while we were making our day long trip down to the smokehouse which has the specialized hot dog stuffing equipment we had four sows farrow out in the south field. Four more litters of very cute piglets[1, 2]. I like animals that can take care of themselves to a large degree, giving birth without my having to be up in the wee hours of the morning.

Big’Un Who’s Well Over Half a Ton of Fun

Just don’t mistake them for a pet[1, 2]. They’ll eat you out of house and home and may grow up to 1,400 lbs.

A big thank you to Albert who fed out whey while we were gone!

Outdoors: 71째F/54째F Overcast, Bit of Rain, windy
Tiny Cottage: 69째F/65째F bedroom shelves up, old library ceiling down

14 Responses to Hot Dogs Are Back!

1. Brandi says:

Oh you're just killing me, I want to try those hot dogs so bad. Too bad it's such a very long drive to your area! They sound wonderful!

~Brandi
    Oklahoma

2. Linda says:

I agree with Brandi, you're killing me.

I am pregnant and have been craving hot dogs badly but would never touch the store ones. Would you ever consider mailing some to Washington State? (I'm half kidding of course. The postage to keep them cold by shipping overnight would be outrageous.)

We are planning on raising pigs next year. How did you ever find a butcher to smoke them and not cure them with nitrates/nitrites? How do you do your bacon, sausage, and hams?

I enjoy your blog! Keep up the good work.

3. ranch101 says:

Me, too, Brandi, me, too.

– Hungry in California

4. A Bay Horse says:

Those look seriously delicious! I'm going to be driving by WRJ this evening on my way elsewhere. I'm sooo tempted to make an unscheduled stop now!

5. tree ocean says:

Yummy! the summer, too-just wish we would get some sun up here!

6. It took a lot of searching to find someone with the right equipment for making the hot dogs. Unfortunately it is so specialized that there is nobody in Vermont who can do it. We have to drive a full day down to Massachusetts and back to drop off meat and then again to pickup the finished hot dogs and kielbasa. When we have our schedule working right we drop off the next batch of meat when we pickup the previous batch of finished product. Unfortunately it doesn't always work out that way.

They, Chicopee Provisions, are a 'small' smokehouse, about 40 employees. We're small potatoes for them at 300 to 1,000 lbs at a time. They slip us into their open scheduling slots between their main batches. Fortunately we can be flexible so it makes for a good fit and we appreciate that they do our small time stuff. To make that happen we deliver frozen meat to them so they can keep it in their deep freeze until they have an opening in the schedule.

As to the nitrate/nitrite issue, we had to do a special formulation and labeling for that which took several months through FSIS/USDA. See the various articles about meat labeling that I wrote. I've been doing a lot of reading about the whole nitrates/nitrites issue. I remember back in the 1970's when there was the whole scare around it prompted by deaths in over dosed lab rats.

The levels were cut in meats, especially in bacon which is often cooked at a higher temperature, but there is the flip side that these compounds (NaO2 & NaO3) stop botulism making for less food poisoning – the traditional reason they have been used for hundreds or even a thousand years in curing meats.

Recent research has shown that we produce some naturally, that vegetables are a far higher source (10x) than meats and that these compounds actually protect against stomach cancer as well as protecting against food spoilage and poisoning. One of those good-news-bad-news stories.

The big thing I read in the research is don't over heat the meat when cooking as that is what produces the nitrosamines – the chemicals that cause cancer when consumed in large quantities by lab rats.

On the bacon and ham, ours are cured with them because we can't get it done without. The smokehouse who does our bacon and hams needs such a large batch that we can't do it. There is one smokehouse in Vermont that will do it without but we had a very bad experience with them and I won't work with them as a result.

My conclusion is that it is a matter of degree. Don't be a lab rat consuming large quantities. But that is probably a good rule in general. Where I can I prefer to keep things simpler but I'm not worried about a little.

7. Brian says:

i have found an exelent smokehouse in Swanton VT Rossies beef jerky. He also cuts up my pork and beef that I slaughter at home. the Bacon and hams he has done for me have been conistantly good. He has also done a couple of turkeys for me with equal quality I dont have his # handy but it is in the phone book

8. We also raise our own pastured pigs and lovingly refer to them as our "Pork Chop Crop". This year we will follow your example and have some hot dogs made as well. I am also foloowing your NoNAIS site. JOB WELL DONE ! I covered NAIS on my blog because of your inspiration.

9. Mellifera says:

I ran into a long article review on recent research on nitrates- it looks like one of those rare instances where everything we knew turned out to be bollocks. ("So the reason spinach is good for you might be because it's loaded with nitrates??" And more!)
    It sounds like something you'd be interested in, email me if you want a copy.

10. Millifera, Is that research online? I would be interested in reading it.

11. LJB says:

Gosh, I feel lucky on two counts. First I live close enough to easily purchase your hot dogs, and second that I didn't know the store was out of them because I just went today to buy some! Have the urge to add them to some wicked good beans I now know how to make, thanks to Fannie Farmer and some creativity.

12. Yum! We were in Williston for July 4 weekend visiting my sister-in-law and her family and brought two packs of hot dogs back with us. We wolfed down the first pack and have the second one in the freezer waiting for a special occasion. :) Lucky for us the TSA did not consider them a gel or liquid. Thanks for a great tasting hot dog!

13. notChicagoSarah says:

and, of the wolfed hot dogs… the onion river co-op rang them up as fresh clams. =) fortunately, they tasted nothing like clams. (and they were refrigerated, not frozen, fwiw.)

we also got 1lb of your ground pork. which became some nice stuffed peppers. thanks for some vermont porky goodness!

14. Valerie says:

The hotdogs are so good. Especially now that they don't have the unappetizing chunks in them. Hooray!

We buy them at the Hunger Mountain Coop or LACE whenever we see them. Thank you for making them.